Jane Austen

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Benoni
Bookshelf Size: 0

Jane Austen

Post by Benoni »

I have just finished reading Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Usually I am able to figure out what an authors philosophy of life and view of life is from the book, but this time I couldn't quite figure it out. Has anyone else read Pride and Prejudice and would be willing to share their insights into Jane Austen's mind?
PrismaSpirit

Post by PrismaSpirit »

Well I have read Jane Austen since I was 18 years old and more or less read her books every 10 years (I am almost 40 years now). They are classical and timeless books. Jane always wrote about happy endings of love with marriage. Something that she did not experience in her lifetime so she poured her heart out in her books with the dreams she didn't achieve in life. I think her view in life was that a woman had a great deal of difficulty in life if she did not marry well - even if one did not want to. It was not just for status but for monetary reasons as it was not deemed acceptable for a woman to work for her money. Something that Jane actually DID do in her lifetime as she was able to derive an income from her books.
claudibee

Post by claudibee »

Although a lot of people don't like Jane Austen and consider her books to be mainly concerned with happy endings and marrying well, she was also quite a scathing satirist of the times that she lived in.
PrismaSpirit

Post by PrismaSpirit »

Jane held true to alot of her beliefs in all of her novels including the contempt she held for women not being able to make their own way for their own merits and contributing to society. She always portrayed a few figures in each of her novels that depicted her distain and disgust for influential figures whom held power, ruled over women and ultimately decided their fate.
claudibee

Post by claudibee »

which made her ahead of her time and a positive influence. I think that's two reasons why she should continue to be read and appreciated.
sharon.gmc

Post by sharon.gmc »

I love pride the prejudice. . . the book and the film too. . . .
loladarling

Post by loladarling »

I don't really see Austen as ahead of her time, I see her as a product of her time. Her work certainly has lasting appeal but most of it requires some knowledge of 1800's England (especially Persuasion. ) P+P is in my opinion the only exception, the story has timeless appeal and isn't bound by the time, probably why its been the most successful.
arwa

Post by arwa »

loladarling wrote:I don't really see Austen as ahead of her time, I see her as a product of her time. Her work certainly has lasting appeal but most of it requires some knowledge of 1800's England (especially Persuasion. ) P+P is in my opinion the only exception, the story has timeless appeal and isn't bound by the time, probably why its been the most successful.
you could be right. Pride and Prejudce is difently my favorite book, but I also love all other books written by Jane Austen. I identefied with them.
they're a little bit hard to read and follow, and that's because of the language, because it's classical. and specially because English has been my 3rd language. but still, I think Jane Austen is my favorite author of all times.
sarah_9

Post by sarah_9 »

Hello,

No doubt Jane Austen is a great writer but usually all her work have a same story line, and it become quite boring after a while, but pride and prejudice , is one of her best work, and when ever i have time i read its excerpts.

Regards,
sarah_9
sharon.gmc

Post by sharon.gmc »

I read Pride and Prejudice a few months ago. I think to me what it says is that we should not be afraid to tell someone we love them. We should fight for love regardless of society's conventions.
Kirsten

Post by Kirsten »

I think what i liked best about P+P was Elizabeth Bennets attitude, she didnt want to marry just because it was expected and to secure a future she wanted to marry for love too. I also liked the fact that she wasnt afraid to speak her mind, not only to Mr Darcy but to Lady Catherine as well.

I think that what the book also says is that we shouldnt judge people on first impressions, which both Elizabeth and Darcy do and that we should get to know people before forming opinions on their character.
mdc

Post by mdc »

I love Pride & Prejudice the most. I love all period dramas and love to imagine what life really was like during that time.

As well as the book, I can't go without mentioning the brilliant BBC TV adaptation. Beautifully shot and beautifully acted.
TheoGio

Post by TheoGio »

Pride and Prejudice is a wonderful book. I was horridied when I saw the movie becoing Jane; her life was more tragically sad than I realized.

Does anyone remember if The House of Mirth written by Jane Austen or Edith Wharton?? (I can't believe I don't remember...)
iselin

Post by iselin »

I saw the
movie and it was wonderful, it made me want to read the book too:))

-iselin

family tents
yumenoai

Post by yumenoai »

i love jane austen and just recently started reading her niece's rendition of The Watsons called The Younger Sister

it's pretty on par with her other works, but i can't quite seem to find the 3rd volume anywhere... it's really a pity there isn't more interest in it since, in my opinion, it out stripped Northanger Abbey by far.

[/u]

Return to “Discuss Authors”