Who was your favorite author in high school?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
bb587
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: Celeste (The Dark Queen, #1) by Samantha Eklund

Re: Who was your favorite author in high school?

Post by bb587 » 21 Apr 2018, 11:45

I think my favorite author in high school was Nora Roberts. The genre was new and exciting for a teenager and filled in the blanks on a few things I wasn't quite ready to try. It sounds weird now, that I was allowed to read romance novels at that age but they were usually ones my mother had already read so she knew there wasn't anything terrible in them and I think it helped me to develop a stronger sense of importance for my sexuality. The characters in those books loved their partners, they didn't just have sex with random people. Sometimes, the acts were described but it satisfied my curiosity enough that I didn't have to try things on my own before I was ready.

Thanks for asking this question! I don't think I would have realized how these books helped me if I wasn't confronted with the question.

SingularityRising
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SingularityRising » 02 Jun 2018, 18:29

Michael Crichton. Jurassic Park and Prey rocked my worl as a teen!

palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by palilogy » 10 Jun 2018, 21:08

In high school I was still in love with J. K. Rowling but I was really into manga and unfortunately I can't spell any of the author's names. I adored the Rurouni Kenshin series, and another series called Mars.

Dael Reader
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: A Second, Less Capable Head by James Hanna
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader » 11 Jun 2018, 20:35

I read Anne Tyler for the first time in high school, and she still has a place on my top five list. But I seem to remember having a fascination with Edgar Allan Poe stories at that time too.

Bukari
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 9
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Bukari » 15 Jun 2018, 05:35

Lawrence Darmani was my favorite author in high school. I liked reading his book (Grief Child).
Yes, I have a dream! A dream that I will never give up.

Susank0628

Post by Susank0628 » 15 Jun 2018, 09:52

I think my most favorite author in high school was Charles Dickens. I loved reading David Copperfield, A Tale of Two Cities, and others. A Tale of Two Cities is my all-time favorite of Dickens’ books. It described the era of the French Revolution so well that I still feel connected to the story and characters.

I always say, “Let them eat cake!” on my birthday (assuming, that is, that I actually have cake on my birthday).

Burgundy1991

Post by Burgundy1991 » Today, 10:12

Growing up, I was a huge fan of Jacqueline Wilson: telling children's stories which should never have to be told.

Malorie Blackman's Noughts & Crosses books were the ones who challenged me the most though.

Return to “Discuss Authors”