Favorite Funny Author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
sleepydumpling
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sleepydumpling »

Hey we're all different, it's ok not to like stuff... just go easy on dissing stuff other people like, ya know!

I still love you Derek, don't worry!
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

alisonaston

Post by alisonaston »

Don't worry I didn't take it personally, but wow, Mr (A) Burroughs certainly isn't very popular on here. I like him because he's turned his negative life experience into something positive. What's more, he's also able to laugh about it. I like his understated style and found him a breath of fresh air from some of the more 'aren't I clever' pretentious writers out there. It made a nice change, but obviously he can't please everyone! :D

Alison
LoveHatesYou

Post by LoveHatesYou »

Yeah- I'm with you Derrek- not down with Augesten B. either- no offence though Allison. Maybe I miss the point. I do that sometimes. But I don't think you were being offensive or attacking either Derreck.

I do adore the Hitchhiker's Guide though. Clever and witty. I also love Christopher Moore. He's a riot. Bloodsucking Fiends is a good first read, or the Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove.
"I am a slave to the wonders of the imagination and the cage of creativity." -E. Maggard
LoveHatesYou

Post by LoveHatesYou »

alisonaston wrote:Don't worry I didn't take it personally, but wow, Mr (A) Burroughs certainly isn't very popular on here. I like him because he's turned his negative life experience into something positive. What's more, he's also able to laugh about it. I like his understated style and found him a breath of fresh air from some of the more 'aren't I clever' pretentious writers out there. It made a nice change, but obviously he can't please everyone! :D

Alison
You know what it is? He has some great parts in his novels- like Running with Scissors- but then he drops his great prose to get back to his negative turned good pedactics. I think he should stick with his good prose. I like it when he's on, he's just not on enough for me. I'm picky.
"I am a slave to the wonders of the imagination and the cage of creativity." -E. Maggard
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I've just discovered Terry Pratchett. Have just read The Wee Free Men and cracked myself laughing all the way through.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

Dori

Post by Dori »

What about Miguel de Cervantes? Hasn't anybody read Don Quixote? :wink:
"Fine words will butter no parsnips."
LoveHatesYou

Post by LoveHatesYou »

Dori wrote:What about Miguel de Cervantes? Hasn't anybody read Don Quixote? :wink:
Touche, Dori, touche (add the accent yourself- I have no idea how to do it)
Dori

Post by Dori »

LoveHatesYou wrote:
Dori wrote:What about Miguel de Cervantes? Hasn't anybody read Don Quixote? :wink:
Touche, Dori, touche (add the accent yourself- I have no idea how to do it)
I'm studying french, so I know how it goes :P .
"Fine words will butter no parsnips."
Karen

Post by Karen »

A.A. Milne: original author of all of the Winnie the Pooh Stories. Those stories are hilarious! A.A.Milne really captures all of the the feelings, thoughts, and behavior of being a child in his poems in his books, "Now We are Six", and "When We Were Very Young". I love these books so much that I still read them!
alisonsarah

Post by alisonsarah »

Ben elton makes me laugh! he's a scream his last book "Chart throb" was a real funny book! I took that with me to spain and laughed at the book as it was so funny!

Id recommend it to anyone that admires ben elton! :D
CollegeReader

Post by CollegeReader »

How about David Sedaris? I just read Me Talk Pretty One Day and there were definately some parts that had me laughing out loud! I don't usually read funny books, so this one was really interesting for me. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Anyway, I am interested in reading more of his stuff now.
"Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labeled 'This could change your life'" ~ Helen Exley

"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures"
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

My favorite author that writes humorous scenes in her novels is Janet Evanovich. Her Stephanie Plum novels make me laugh out loud!

Nora Roberts writes some great humorous scenes too!

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

Terry Pratchett. David Sedaris and Augusten Burroughs can be funny, though they write nonfiction.
DanceRhythm
Currently Reading: Idiot
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancerhythm.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by DanceRhythm »

Definitely David Sedaris. His writing makes me laugh so hard, I forget where I am (like on a public train, or a coffee shop) and howl outloud. I've gotten used to the odd looks. Totally worth it!
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Unbreakablespines

Post by Unbreakablespines »

I couldn't really think of many. Thanks for the advice. ;)

Return to “Discuss Authors”