Favorite Funny Author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
FNAWrite
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Favorite Funny Author?

Post by FNAWrite »

Currently Tim Dorsey. Black humor but laugh out loud in spots.

Christopher Moore can be hilarious. "Sorry, Couldn't be helped" (from Sacre Bleu)

Never heard of Augustin Burroughs.
ItsJames00
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ItsJames00 »

I Think Carl Hiaasen is more funny as compared to other.
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

Jennifer Cruisie is a lot of fun if you want to read a lighthearted mainstream fiction/romance. She has quirky characters with creative circumstances. I always enjoy curling up with one of her books when I just want to relax and unwind.
Carmen K
Favorite Author: J.D. Robb
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4006

Post by Carmen K »

I love the Charley Davidson by Darynda Jones. I consistently find myself laughing out loud at her approach to life and the way she sees the world.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

I love this thread. I'll have to go through it and see about reading some of these. I, ironically enough, haven't spent an excessive amount of time reading books that specifically belong to the Humor genre, but I have found a few that I've really enjoyed. The most recent one I've read happens to be a comic/graphic novel sort called Heart and Brain: Body Language. Heart and Brain is perhaps one of the most relatable comics I've ever read and manages to be amazingly hilarious simply by drawing on things that we experience almost regularly.
Beatrice_Greenwald
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatrice-greenwald.html
Latest Review: Belas Rift by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen

Post by Beatrice_Greenwald »

An author who really makes me giggle is Jasper Fforde with his Thursday Next Series, as well as his Nursery Crime Stories. His grammatical puns are great and he really knows how to turn an ordinary, even sad situation, into something insanely witty and classy.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

awelker wrote: 06 Feb 2007, 16:52 i love janet evanovich. her books are so funny. for anyone that hasn't read them i highly recommend you do so. i mean seriously they are wicked awsome
they are great! her books aren't exactly high brow literature but they're always sweet and funny. a perfect read for when you just want to relax and enjoy yourself.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett. Anything from them and I am basically rolling on the floor. I also liked Hardison and his Fish Wielder. Wrote a review on it. It has similar quality and it picked up my day.
jswest82
Currently Reading: Heartaches
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jswest82.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jswest82 »

I enjoyed a few books by Tara Sivec and Alice Clayton. Tara especially had several scenes that made me laugh til I cried!
Lipscombpc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lipscombpc.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Lipscombpc »

While parts of her novel are heartbreaking, Tiffany Haddish always has me cracking up!
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

Janet Evanovich always cracks me up. I love her character, Grandma Mazur in the Stephanie Plum series. It's basically a Lucile Ball does Jersey bounty hunter type deal with a little sex tastefully thrown in. For a more dark humor, you can't go wrong with Christopher Moore. Even in person, he's amazing!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

uyky wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 05:32 Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett. Anything from them and I am basically rolling on the floor.
Yes indeed.
lifelongreader wrote: 27 Apr 2007, 06:36 Bill Bryson makes me laugh out loud - and makes me want to share his funny turns of phrase with others, which can be a bit odd when you are on public transport.
Yes, me too: my favourite is the one about the British and their puddings, which I won't repeat here.
JodyVamp wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 13:36 Janet Evanovich always cracks me up. I love her character, Grandma Mazur in the Stephanie Plum series. It's basically a Lucile Ball does Jersey bounty hunter type deal with a little sex tastefully thrown in.
Yup, another favourite – though I stopped hunting them down after five or six, I think – I would still read one if I stumbled across it.

Another laugh-out-loud one for me is Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome (didn't like the sequel quite so much)

I also like quiet, understated humour, as in Jane Austen, especially perhaps Emma, though Northanger Abbey, her skit on Gothic novels is also very amusing.

I love P.G. Wodehouse. One of my favourite lines concerns the character Psmith (pronounced “Smith”) so what he says to people is: “My name is Psmith – the P is silent.” That creased me up when I was a teenager. :lol: Then there's the (Bertie Wooster &) Jeeves stories, of course – but not too many at once. I love the Blandings Castle books. Finally, there's a great bit about the town where I grew up
In my early touring days I have sometimes arrived at Southport on a rainy Sunday morning. Gussie gave me that same sense of hopeless desolation. 
it's quite a nice place, really. :)
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Irene C »

I don't really seek out humor in novels, but I love Kristen Gore's novels Sammy's Hill and Sammy's House.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by SparklesonPages »

Janet Evanovich always has me laughing. Her Stephanie Plum Series is one of my favorites for a lighthearted read.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

I love Jasper Fforde and Terry Pratchett. For a gentler laugh, I love Stella Gibbons and her Cold Comfort Farm.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.

Return to “Discuss Authors”