Best authors for a rainy day

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Tianarenee3
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tianarenee3.html

Best authors for a rainy day

Post by Tianarenee3 »

I've come to terms that some authors do the job of passing time well while others do not. For example, Agatha Christie is a brilliant author who works of majestic schemes in her plots and twists lies in her truths. It's a phenomenon to finish her work and guessing the culprit of the story correctly. However amazing she is though, I could never read her On a rainy day. To me rainy days are simple afternoons that leave you relaxed and easy going, a harsh language and mystery filled novel will intendedly ruin that stature. Christie is more of a read by the beach kind of girl, just in my opinion. But, take someone like Nora Roberts and you will have the epitome of rainy afternoons.

I guess what I'm saying is that depending on the mood, the atmosphere and of course the weather, a reader can get off on a different foot depending on what kind of writer the book is about, the subject of the book, and whether or not it will spark a nerve after reading it.

Let me know if you feel the same!
Roriann-book-worm
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roriann-book-worm.html
Latest Review: "Tulpa" by Rebecca McNutt

Post by Roriann-book-worm »

The finisher by David Baldacci is such a good read. And I've heard great things about his crime novels.
Latest Review: "Tulpa" by Rebecca McNutt
Elizabeth Rogers 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-rogers-47.html

Post by Elizabeth Rogers 47 »

I have a list of cozy mystery authors. M.C. Beaton is at the top of my list. Sheila Connelly, Elizabeth Duncan, Miranda James, Jenn McKinlay, LuAnne Sweeney are good to start with. Most of them temper the mystery with romance, friendships, atmosphere and a little humor. They can take me away from the drearyness (is that a word?) of the day and lift my spirits until the sun returns.
chiliabowl1998
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiliabowl1998.html

Post by chiliabowl1998 »

James Patterson
Sarah1
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah1.html
Latest Review: "The Paranormal Gazette" by Anthony Bartholomew

Post by Sarah1 »

Jane Austen for rainy days.
"You're never too old, too wacky, too wild, to pick up a book and read to a child." Dr. Seuss
Latest Review: "The Paranormal Gazette" by Anthony Bartholomew
Titanoboa92
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-titanoboa92.html
Latest Review: "Aim For The Moon" by Gladys Lim

Post by Titanoboa92 »

Charlotte Bronte or Jane Austen
Latest Review: "Aim For The Moon" by Gladys Lim
autumnmarie
Favorite Author: F. Scott Fitzgerald
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-autumnmarie.html
Latest Review: "December Rain" by A.L. Goulden
fav_author_id: 2471

Post by autumnmarie »

Dean Koontz is my favorite rainy day author. Unlike some who choose lighter novels, I find it the perfect opportunity to fall into a murder mystery adventure.
"I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book!" -Jane Austen Pride & Prejudice
Latest Review: "December Rain" by A.L. Goulden
readinginreview4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinginreview4.html

Post by readinginreview4 »

I would say Nicolas Sparks passes time quite quickly, as does Ellen Hopkins!
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

On a quiet rainy day, Charlotte Bronte, Jane Austen or another type of slow classic book. And something warm to drink. And a warm bed. bliss.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Smokey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smokey.html

Post by Smokey »

I'm going to admit I love to read scary books -- or tension filled books -- on a rainy day. I'm inside all nice and cozy like you all are with my hot drink and my blanket. I'm safe, and I know it. So reading a book with tense scenes appeals to by sides of me: the cozy side and the "I like to be afraid" side. One of my favorite books, which contains one of the most tense scenes I've ever read, is Whip Hand by Dick Francis. Oh, my golly, gosh.
senny_bebii
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-senny-bebii.html

Post by senny_bebii »

For a rainy day, I like to read books that aren't really so dramatic. Just something to calm my nerves like a book written by Sarah Dessen. :D
HokieGirl74

Post by HokieGirl74 »

Well, we have been experiencing some rainy weather recently, and I thought I would contribute to this subject. For me, I like Nora Roberts for a rainy day. I have been re-reading the Key Trilogy. It has been years since I read it the first time. It's nice to be able to sit on the porch listening to the rain and enjoy a good book.
pagenumber394
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pagenumber394.html

Post by pagenumber394 »

Edgar Allan Poe and Dante are reserved for those rainy days.

I like something light to read. Something I can pick up sporatically. Poe has so many short stories that are perfect for a rainy day. You can read them in any order! I bought his complete work at Barnes and Nobles a couple years ago. I am still trying to reread the Divine Comedy as well.
Amheiser
Currently Reading: Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amheiser.html
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel

Post by Amheiser »

For me, something Stephen King wrote would be good for a dark, gloomy, spooky kind of day. Like they always do in the movies, if something bad is going to happen it usually happens in the dark, at night, especially with a thunderstorm. I don't find those kind of storms calming so a good scary book would take my mind off the storm.
Latest Review: "Beginners only dance book" by Allen g darnel
kody
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kody.html

Post by kody »

Brandon Mull, Brandon Sanderson, and Robert Jordan have introduced quite a few books that I really quite enjoy reading. I most certainly could read those books any time of any day no matter what the mood is. I just pick up one of their books off my shelf and just dive into their imaginations.

Return to “Discuss Authors”