Best authors for a rainy day

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
ohlahlaii09
Currently Reading: Burn for Burn
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohlahlaii09.html

Re: Best authors for a rainy day

Post by ohlahlaii09 »

Gayle Forman, e.lockhart, stephanie perkins, john green :)
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I would think Arthur Conan Doyle and his Sherlock Holmes series of stories would be my choice. When I think of Holmes I just naturally think of London which is known for its rainy weather and fog ... perfect "mood weather" for Doyle's writing, especially The Hound Of The Baskervilles *L*.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Very nice choice, DATo!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

I may be a little weird, but I love a good Horror book on a rainy day...well, on any day, actually! But for sure on a rainy day!

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I like Anne Tyler for a rainy day. Some of her stories are a bit depressing in places. But the characters are almost always great. And you can get most of the book done in one long afternoon.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

Tianarenee3 wrote: 01 May 2014, 16:24 I've come to terms that some authors do the job of passing time well while others do not. For example, Agatha Christie is a brilliant author who works of majestic schemes in her plots and twists lies in her truths. It's a phenomenon to finish her work and guessing the culprit of the story correctly. However amazing she is though, I could never read her On a rainy day. To me rainy days are simple afternoons that leave you relaxed and easy going, a harsh language and mystery filled novel will intendedly ruin that stature. Christie is more of a read by the beach kind of girl, just in my opinion. But, take someone like Nora Roberts and you will have the epitome of rainy afternoons.

I guess what I'm saying is that depending on the mood, the atmosphere and of course the weather, a reader can get off on a different foot depending on what kind of writer the book is about, the subject of the book, and whether or not it will spark a nerve after reading it.

Let me know if you feel the same!
Before I read the actual the actaul post, I was going to say Nora Roberts! Great minds. :tiphat:

Also, Danielle Steele and Debbie Macomber.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

literarycat wrote: 06 Aug 2015, 11:08 All of them? I tend to like Ted Dekker for a rainy day, he is suspenseful thriller with Christian elements. I also enjoy Suzanna Linton, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Gena Showalter, hmm and several others. I just grab a book that tickles my fancy and curl up on the couch with a cup of tea and a cat.
I am definitely going to check out Ted Dekker! :)
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders

Return to “Discuss Authors”