What draws you to an author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Scraig12
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scraig12.html

What draws you to an author?

Post by Scraig12 »

What makes you select the authors you recommend most? Is it their story? Is it the way they write? Or is the the genre? Who is everyone's favorite author?
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

I read a wide variety of genres and authors, so I really can't pick a favorite. Probably the style of writing gets me the most though. I mean, you have to have a good story too, but there are people that can get away with having a mediocre story and carrying it with the writing. You don't see that the other way around very often.

When recommending an author I usually look at more of the person I'm referring them to. I also usually refer specific books, not just the author, because I have hardly ever found an author where I love every single book. For instance, I love Stephen King, but I wouldn't say EVERYTHING he's ever written is pure gold. I will say that an author that's never let me down is Brandon Sanderson. It doesn't matter what book of his I pick up; I have always enjoyed it.
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires
Gegin

Post by Gegin »

Authors don't create a huge impact on me until I have read at least one of their books. It is nice if they have experience in an area, such as ex-military, as this leads me to believe that what they say will be realistic. However, this is not essential for me.

What really draws me to a book is firstly its title, then its cover (people do judge by covers, no matter what people say), its blurb, and finally I take a quick peek at the inside. I don't read very much at all - maybe a few sentences - because I believe that readers should read authors they do and do not like. This is especially true for me, as I am a writer, and so need to see what other authors are doing in different genres.
LoneWolf1

Post by LoneWolf1 »

Cover draws me in, then title, and then the description. Author really comes last. Very rarely will I pick up a book simply because of who wrote it.
scrollworm
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrollworm.html

Post by scrollworm »

When I read a book and get hooked, I follow that author. It doesn't matter what genre it is. I am an avid reader of any book, any reading material. Be it fiction or not. And if I liked your material, I follow your other works.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Brutal honesty in their writing. I admire their guts, and despite the inevitable judgement at times from others, they stay true to their craft.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Plot that grabs me, style of writing, Language.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
JessiFox
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessifox.html

Post by JessiFox »

I don't really think that I have a "type" in regards to authors. There are different things that draw me to all of the different authors that I like, and in fact I have encountered some authors who are one-hitters for me. My introduction to their books is compelling and promising but I end up being unable to really get into others. For authors that I can get into again and again, things like writing style/tone and genre are big factors.
AmandaR
Favorite Author: Way too many to list
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandar.html
Latest Review: "Cinque Terre, Florence, Umbria" by Enrico Massetti

Post by AmandaR »

I agree with @Fluer, I really appreciate honesty within an author's work. That is key for me.
"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain." - Emily Dickenson
Latest Review: "Cinque Terre, Florence, Umbria" by Enrico Massetti
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

It's weird because many times in the past, when I finish reading a book I really like, I automatically end up picking up other books by that same author, and eventually feel disappointed, because their work starts to look the same (Jodi Picoult, Mitch Albom, Dan Brown...). They are all really good authors, but you can't help but notice certain formulaic patterns and styles in their writing.

But ultimately, some people are drawn to certain styles of story telling, and so that's when you discover your favorite authors--it's more of a personal preference.

Books, however, can be recommended individually and on their own--to whichever person you think would enjoy it.
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen
tennent10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tennent10.html

Post by tennent10 »

Most the time it's a combination of elements. Such as how much research they put in to the work, how passionate you could tell they were, the topic of the book, and how well it is written.

I find that if the book isn't well written I have a harder time enjoying it, and if the information is off it's just annoying, if they lack passion the story is usually dry.
ealegner23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealegner23.html

Post by ealegner23 »

Their writing style and their sense of humor. Anne Lamott is by far my favorite author.
lyndsie_anna
Favorite Author: Virginia Woolf
Favorite Book: The Poisonwood Bible
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyndsie-anna.html
Latest Review: "Life, Death and Iguanas" by Marc Newhouse
fav_author_id: 2470

Post by lyndsie_anna »

I don't think genre has much to do with it for me honestly. My book taste is like my music taste; it's all over the map. The key for me is that they can't be too pretentious. Like...you know those books where the descriptions are so thick that you can't even comprehend what's happening? I hate that. (Reasons I can't read anything by Babel or Hemingway). Also, they need to have something new and thought provoking to say. I guess it's a little scholarly of me, but I don't see the point of a story for story's sake.
Latest Review: "Life, Death and Iguanas" by Marc Newhouse
jamespoet
Favorite Author: Ray Bradbury
Favorite Book: FAHRENHEIT 451
Currently Reading: THE FOREVER WAR and DANCING AZTECS
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamespoet.html
Latest Review: "Laikanist Times" by Dylan Malik Orchard
fav_author_id: 2498

Post by jamespoet »

In terms of people like Ray Bradbury (my favorite author) I dig his keen intelligence mixed with his connection to the inner child of all of us. In terms of people like Charles Bukowski and Ernest Hemingway, I can connect with the raw brutality laced with startling poetry in the language. And then there's the poets like Mary Oliver...their lines are breathtaking.
The joys of literature transcend the evils of the world. I believe in its miraculious baptism and emotional power of the words trickling down the page. To me, there is no higher artform...
Latest Review: "Laikanist Times" by Dylan Malik Orchard
shinjiblue
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shinjiblue.html
Latest Review: "The Stones of Judgment" by Deborah Wise

Post by shinjiblue »

A combination of storyline and writing style. Genre is less important as I tend to read a variety of genres anyway.
Latest Review: "The Stones of Judgment" by Deborah Wise

Return to “Discuss Authors”