What draws you to an author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Kaelahhill
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaelahhill.html

Re: What draws you to an author?

Post by Kaelahhill »

What draws me to an author is their book presentation and their writing style.
ImpatientTypist
Currently Reading: Wee Free Men
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-impatienttypist.html

Post by ImpatientTypist »

DATo wrote:For me, anyway, it is a combination of two things: the story itself, and the manner in which it is told.

There are some authors who have great ideas for a story but present their story in a style that reads like a telephone book. There are other authors who write with the beauty of poetry but don't really have anything compelling to say. When I find an author who can tell a good story in a manner which is a delight to read I'm hooked and want to read everything they've written.
This is so true. Good stories are not defined by their writing style, and good writing is not defined by the plot... though this can be disputed :\ Though I will say I prefer the telephone book to the flowery text. I enjoy classic writers but I'm personally a very impatient reader and like to get to the meat of things XD
Olivia Parker
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivia-parker.html

Post by Olivia Parker »

The way they right. The book is so much better if the writer has a certain way with words. It's just comforting, and makes me really enjoy the work of that author.
lmoses
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmoses.html
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline

Post by lmoses »

For me, an author that creates characters that I can connect with and who can write a plot that keep me entertain is an author I will read over and over again. I pick books that will transport me to different worlds and have characters that are not only great but flawed.
Latest Review: "Incandescent" by Shannon Avangeline
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

I like all kinds of genres and typically if I really like one book by a certain author, I will try to read everything I can get my hands on. I don't know what specifically draws me to a specific author though. I think somebody who can weave a tale that completely draws me in. My favorite author of all time is Stephen King, and even though I don't love all of his books, I buy every one in hardback and will always read the latest that he has out. I do tend to be very loyal towards certain authors (Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, Peter Straub)
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

If I've never read anything by the author, the book synopsis will be what makes me decide if I want to read the book or not. If the book is by an author I love, it doesn't matter what the book is about, if I like their genre and writing style I will read it.

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Post by Harmony Hills »

I always consider the execution. I mean, one idea could be thought of thousand of people but one person or more could pull it off wonderfully, with great plot twists, character and other factors. Thousands of cliche could be rewritten by others differently.
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh
smart24
Currently Reading: ROXY
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by smart24 »

their choice of words
ItsJames00
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ItsJames00 »

Their Writing styles and their sense of Humour.
Nwoko Solomon Ikechu
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwoko-solomon-ikechu.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Nwoko Solomon Ikechu »

I'm drawn to author who is creative in writing and decent in his/her use of words.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

My recommendations are the based on the kind of person to whom I am recommending the book. Once I know their genre then I tell them about my fav author in that genre.
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

It depends on the genre that they write stories on. Also the way they portray the stories. that will want you to keep reading all them the author wrote.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

The writing grabs me for one - I agree about Ray Bradbury, his stories sing of innocence and joy. Some authors have the gift of creating characters that come alive, that you really feel for, that is rare. Otherwise I love the world-builders, those who create a world with its own history, legends, traditions and laws that all hang together. The characters are recognisable, but act according to the world view that has been created for them. Think of Ursula LeGuin's The Left Hand of Darkness, where people are neuter sexually most of the time, but at their season can be either man or woman. What does that do to the way people perceive themselves and how the society operates. Fascinating.
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Doaa Wael »

First i am drawn by the cover and title of the book. I read the synopsis and if i like it, i read the book. Then the style of the author is what makes me continue reading or stop dead in my tracks. If i continue to read that means i have really liked the book and i end up reading all the other work of that author.
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Tanny136
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanny136.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Tanny136 »

The ability to write a plot where the characters speak to you, making you feel as if you are present right in the scene being described. A very engaging writing style is what that I'll put it as.

Return to “Discuss Authors”