What draws you to an author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Re: What draws you to an author?

Post by csimmons032 »

It's definitely the story. If an author is able to weave different twists and turns into a good story, then I consider that person to be a pretty good author. I also go for happy stories. I think Nicholas Sparks might be the only author where I can handle sad stories, but that's because I expect it from him. My favorite author right now is Stephenie Meyer, and has been for years.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Rubicon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rubicon »

The book's subject is important to me, but in the end, it's the author's use of language. I just read, "All the Light We Cannot See," and I was mesmerized by the author's descriptions of the characters and their respective towns. I will now read any other books by Anthony Doerr.
justfiza
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justfiza.html

Post by justfiza »

The plot piques my interest. But if the first page is not engaging, I usually have a hard time plowing through. I don't mind the genre too much either, except if it is romance. Steer clear of them usually.
gatorgirl_823
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatorgirl-823.html
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam

Post by gatorgirl_823 »

I read all types of genres. What makes an author do it for me is not only the writing style but also the story itself. If it's a great "can't put down story" but amazing characters, then a few grammatical errors will be overlooked.
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam
morgan_tay
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-tay.html

Post by morgan_tay »

I've always said that there's a vast difference between being a good storyteller and being a good writer. I believe that being able to do both- to tell a story well and to write it well- is what makes a good author.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

Lately, I've been drawn to authors because of the characters they create. The characters don't even have to be realistic; they just have to reach me in some way. Oscar Wilde, for instance, is a recent favorite, and his characters don't have the sort of depth that more modern characters might, but something about them reaches out to me from the page.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
bethany0510
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethany0510.html

Post by bethany0510 »

I really like an author with a good way of words and someone whose story is realistic. I also love when an author makes a clear visual of what the scene is so I can picture it like my own mini movie in my head. Although, I may have some bias with authors who write in my favorite genre.
yett23

Post by yett23 »

The author's use of words and language, including how the author can capture my interest in the first chapter in weaving the plot.
BookWormGirl92
Favorite Author: L.J. Smith
Currently Reading: Paper Towns
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwormgirl92.html

Post by BookWormGirl92 »

The way an author can suck me into the book and captivate my imagination. How an author can leave me breathless and begging for more. How an author can prick my heart all the way to my soul. And finally how an author can write my story without even knowing me.
sharlene 27
Publishing Contest Votes: 7

Post by sharlene 27 »

What draws me to an author is the experience they have in the field they write in. Patricia Cornwall comes to mind, she makes her books realistic because she has had actual experience doing that.
meggpie09
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meggpie09.html

Post by meggpie09 »

I usually find authors on my kindle and once i find one I like I try to stay with that and then venture off of the tops picks they put on daily. once you find one author you love its very easy to find more you love. I love all of Marie Force books but I dont always find authors that i love all thier books.
Zoe303
Favorite Book: And Then There Were None
Currently Reading: Around the World in Eighty Days
Bookshelf Size: 240

Post by Zoe303 »

The style of writing, the degree of creativity and originality, their ability to create suspense...
“Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.” –P.J. O’Rourke
aj-moussa
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by aj-moussa »

Creativity for sure. There are a lot of amazing writers out there, but only a handful have ever made me stop and think "WOW. How the hell does one come up with THAT?
Sophie14
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophie14.html

Post by Sophie14 »

I tend to like authors with excellent language. It is typically the interesting plot lines that draw me into books, but I do not usually recommend an author unless they have beautiful language and description throughout their novels. I love an author when I can hate the characters or events of their book, yet still read on happily because of the style in which they write.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Free cookies.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Return to “Discuss Authors”