What draws you to an author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Re: What draws you to an author?

Post by HollandBlue »

First I pick a genre, then the book description helps me decide whether I want to read it or not. I only follow a few authors, my favorite is Agatha Christie.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

Their imagination and originality, their use of words, and how they can manipulate the reader to keep reading and keep being interested on what they are reading.
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
kinjoz
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinjoz.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by kinjoz »

Their ability to totally engross and engage the reader in their telling of the story. If I am able, as the reader, to vividly envision things and emotionally react to them as well, the author has me hooked.
jdy
Currently Reading: We Make God Cry
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdy.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by jdy »

Sometimes it is something as simple as the title of the book. When I go to the library or look for book to download to my kindle app, I dont always have a plan. On ce I have read a book by an author if I enjoyed the book I will then look for other things they have written.
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

I love an author for their voice. I'm drawn primarily to fantasy and sci-fi authors. However, if I love an author, I will read whatever they write because I trust that they will be able to draw me in to their story.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

One of my favorite authors is Dan Brown and it’s because each of his books grabs me right away and I can’t put it down until I finish. But also, the topics of his books make me want to research and learn more. After reading the Da Vinci Code I read so many nonfiction books about the Holy Grail and Mary Magdalene. I highly recommend Holy Blood, Holy Grail, which is what the Da Vinci Code is based on
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
MandyP
Favorite Book: Blood of Dreams
Currently Reading: Social Creature
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandyp.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by MandyP »

For me, I'm drawn to an author who can make me visualise the scene and even the characters in the story. I love my crime books but the only author so far who succeeds at this is Karin Slaughter. I really enjoy her books and have found it easy to establish feelings and compassion with her characters.

But generally any author that can really 'put me there' within the story is a winner.
boardj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boardj.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by boardj »

What draws me to an author is by the way they write and sometimes the cover of the book. For example, I like the way Stephen King writes because of the way he gives details in stories and the stories he can tell. I enjoy Dean Koontz because he can mix a good balance of humor and the supernatural. V.C. Andrews had a great way of grabbing people into her books by the constant struggles and trouble her characters got into. Anne Rice made her worlds dangerously good. David Gemmell's books always had cool artwork and you can just tell it was going to be full of exciting adventures and battles.
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

An author that can draw me far enough in with the cover to want to read the blurb, coerce me with that into reading the first page, and hook me in those first words to keep going.
emily_deal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by emily_deal »

It isn't about who the author is or what their story might be it is how they write and take each person into their own little world so that they can escape whatever might be going on in their life.
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

I have to also admit that I’m only really attracted to an author if I’ve read at least one of their books previously. I’m usually drawn in my the title and then the storyline. I find that I am most attracted to a good storyline, complex characters and then the style of writing by the author.
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

The way an author writes is definitely a huge factor for me as well as genre. The two have to go hand in hand, the writing must match the genre otherwise I won't read the book.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

Recommendations , and then the author's wit and intelligence, but they have to know how to keep the book entertaining and relevant.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Shirayuki Hime
Favorite Book: Tiger's Curse
Currently Reading: Endless Water, Starless Sky
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by Shirayuki Hime »

If we shared the same genre, then it's perfect!!😁
Only1Cola
Currently Reading: The Age of Innocence
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only1cola.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Only1Cola »

I love an author who uses beautiful descriptive prose in balance with a meaningful story - fiction or non fiction. The descriptions of places and surroundings, as well as people’s facial expressions and body language, all add depth to the readers mental picture of the story and draws the reader in deeper.

Return to “Discuss Authors”