What draws you to an author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
lexter
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What draws you to an author?

Post by lexter »

As soon as possible, a skillful writer draws the reader into the story.how does she do this? by immediately introducing action, drama,intrige.
Jean Harivonjy

Post by Jean Harivonjy »

Personnaly, for me, an author has a talent that is called art of telling. And it's in these words that an author attracts me much. Sometimes he used three or more words to describe one thing. Sometimes, his way of expressing situations as well leading me to see the results or what will happen.
Cindy864

Post by Cindy864 »

the type of protagnist
BelindaC
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-belindac.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by BelindaC »

What I look for most in an author is the ability to create characters that I really feel for and can understand as well as some world-building skills. I'm the kind of reader who has a lot of questions while reading about the world that the story is set in, so I really appreciate an author that addresses a lot of the little things in their fictional universe that help to make it feel like a real place.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

What draws me to an author? Given that I have read the works of an author, one attribute that will impress me immensely is his wit. By this, I may know the level of his humor. The way the ideas are presented will show his ability to manage space, to be concise, to be tactful and to be lively or interesting. His wisdom and authority on the subject will be able to elicit a feeling of trust and confidence in me. The work itself will be eloquent enough to speak of his erudition, I need not see any credential.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Susan Karimi
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10">Things Fall Apart</a>
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Susan Karimi »

The genre..Am a lover of romantic fiction..how much the author engages me as the audience in the story. The series of events whereby there are twists and turns or probably starts from the end and ends with the start intrigues me.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I also read a lot of different genres. It drives me crazy if the books are poorly edited. They should flow well, have a good sense of timing. Interestingly, predictability isn't always a turnoff for me, depending on what the genre is. Cozy mysteries tend to be predictable, but I read them because they are cozy. I like to have at least some humor in my books, although it is not necessary. Precise, accurate information, whether it is a novel or non-fiction, is also important to me. But there is just something about some writers, before you are even one chapter in you know you are in for a good ride. And it is so hard to put my finger on exactly what that quality is. Maybe that is it. Quality. From the first word, there is no waste, just good story. These days I have too much to read to be willing to put up with boring.
mmziegler121
Currently Reading: A Quest of Undoing
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmziegler121.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mmziegler121 »

Honestly it depends on my mood. When I find an author I like, I won't necessarily read all their books right away, ill save them for when that's the style I'm in the mood for. But overall, I respect good writing that makes me think differently about life, characters who stay in my mind after the book is shut, and a story I can't predict.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
easy75

Post by easy75 »

1. The author's ability to create a sense of place. There is nothing like being immersed in an interesting environment.
2. The effective use of wit and humor are big draws for me.
3. The voice of the character(s). If the dialogue feels authentic, I am able to get much more deeply involved with the story.
4. Good storytelling. Knowing how to move the plot forward, keep things interesting, keeping some tension and suspense working.
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

Emotional honesty is a big one. I like uncomfortable truths, and complex topics.
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy
Barbiedole
Currently Reading: The One (The Only One) #1
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbiedole.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by Barbiedole »

First, the title. Then the book cover. Next I read the overview. Then I'll know if my interest was peaked.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
melleigha
Currently Reading: 30th century:escape
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by melleigha »

I am really drawn to authors who mix genres. For example, Kay Hooper has a wonderful mix of police procedural with sci-fi.
Atheinne
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by Atheinne »

Most of the times, I recommend authors because of the story they write and their writing style. Especially with a story line about awareness on mental illnesses and other social issues. For me, it feels important that everyone should know the struggles of one person in this wide world and I'm hoping to make those people who are struggling realize that they are not alone in this world and that they have someone.

My favourite author is Leigh Bardugo! :D
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

The plot of the book as well as the writing are what draw me to an author.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
thelittlelibrary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thelittlelibrary.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by thelittlelibrary »

If I love one book by an author then I am far more likely to try another one than a new author. My favourite author is J K Rowing

Return to “Discuss Authors”