What draws you to an author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Cee-Jay Aurinko
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cee-jay-aurinko.html
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
fav_author_id: 2376

Re: What draws you to an author?

Post by Cee-Jay Aurinko »

That, for me, fluctuates. One day it will be something as simple as an eye-catching cover; or, I might suddenly think of a great book I read a while ago, the author of that book, and what other books he's/she's written. Sometimes even my mood pushes me to select a specific type of book. Truth is, even though I have maybe a hundred different favorite authors, I rarely make a decision based on their name.
"Might as well drink the ocean with a spoon as argue with a lover." -- The Dark Tower 2, Stephen King
Latest Review: "Higgins Hotel" by Carla Coffman
BookAddict2015
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookaddict2015.html

Post by BookAddict2015 »

What draws me to an author is their ability to deliver characters that you can relate to. I love authors who bring Characters to life so much so that you become so involved, you feel as if you are on the journey with the character. To me it is about catching my attention and evoking some form of emotion. As I read if i find myself emotionally invested in the book, say i get pissed or I feel their pain, their joy, their struggle, to me that is a good author. As with everyone authors will have flaws no matter how good the read, but I feel that their imagination and the direction of the story must be one that will take me on a journey where nothing exists outside of those pages....
AparisNedd
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aparisnedd.html

Post by AparisNedd »

What draws me to an author is their writing style , I like if they can make the characters become real for me like I know them personally.Also I look for a author with a vivid imagination and who is good at imagery.If the book plays out like a movie in my mind than I am sold.The author I like is Sister Souljah she wrote the coldest winter ever and some other books.I like her book called Midnight it was very informative about different cultures.She was very descriptive in this book and all the characters in this story had a unique personality.
Cjgarland89
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjgarland89.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Cjgarland89 »

When I was younger, the covers of books drew me in. As I have gotten older I realized that is the third best way to shop for books (haha). The first I look for is genre, but once I find a particular author within a genre, I tend to read every book I can find by that particular author. My favorites are James Patterson, Ellen Hopkins and David Baldacci.
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

Its generally the way they write and the plot
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

I tend to be drawn more toward fantasy/sci-fi authors, and within that genre, I prefer the ones who I know will make characters who feel like people, even if it comes at the expense of the plot.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
Wizzy56
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wizzy56.html
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Wizzy56 »

I like an author who will push the limit as to what they will write about. If it's a memoir being totally honest and open pulls me in. If it's fiction, I like an author who will take the time to really develop their characters.
Michelle Liew
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-liew.html

Post by Michelle Liew »

Where I am concerned, it is his uniqueness and style.
SHE01

Post by SHE01 »

The style of writing and how well it is edited is the main objective. The genre is not much a factor as the quality of writing. As for book covers, I never judge a cover for the inside content matters most of all. As for the author, not every book is a best seller but do follow, but once a bad book, I stop following.
javedrd2000

Post by javedrd2000 »

A unique voice. Of course a good and magnetic story that holds you to the end. Also how the author makes me
connect with the main character(s).
Droopyswife71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-droopyswife71.html

Post by Droopyswife71 »

Once I have read a book by a specfic author the hing that draws me back is how well the author captivated and held my attention. If it's a book I start and can't lay down then I'm searching for the next book by the same author as soon as I finish it. I love a good edge of my seat read that leads me to one page after another
librolover
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-librolover.html

Post by librolover »

First of all, the type of genre they write. I love fantasy and science fiction. They also have to have great complex worlds and stories.
NicoleSams
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicolesams.html

Post by NicoleSams »

I think what really draws me to an author is originality. I mean every story is the same just told different. So i look for something that hasn' t been overdone. I want to read something that is filled with new ideas, if an author can make their reader really think and vividly imagine the world in the book that is what really gets me attached to an author
Eevvee5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eevvee5.html

Post by Eevvee5 »

I am drawn to an author by their style of writing and creativity.
Mdimples

Post by Mdimples »

I am more of a topical reader. I usually pick authors based on the topic i'm intetested in reading about. I read a lot of self help books so I use the library to pull up topics/subjects first, then i find out more about the author. I also read christian fiction and have chosen those authors based on what friends have told me about the books.

Return to “Discuss Authors”