What draws you to an author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
irynochka06
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irynochka06.html

Re: What draws you to an author?

Post by irynochka06 »

If I see a book written by an unknown author the first thing I do is reading a review. Then I open the first page and start reading first passage. If it attracts my attention and makes me feel intriged, then I buy this book.
For me it is important to get excited while reading a book. Also author's style shouldn't be that simple. I don't like very short sentences and use of simple language.
mystery lady
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">Rogue</a>
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mystery-lady.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by mystery lady »

I love mysteries set in England prior to the 1900s. There are not many authors whose writing fit into that timeframe, but Anne Perry is one of my favorites. She has two series that are very popular, William Monk and Thomas Pitt. I highly recommend her work.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
DanyaMorgan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danyamorgan.html

Post by DanyaMorgan »

Mainly what draws me to an author is when you can actually feel in their writing that they know what they are talking about and are passionate about it. Anyone can sit down and write description after description after description. It's honestly obnoxious when I can sense the author shoving details down my throat. I want their examples and explanations to flow without having to repeat the same thought for sentences to come. Straight to the point with wit and intelligence is definitely what draws me to an author. After that I will read more of their books.
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

Several issues, I guess. recently I finished reading The Prague Orgy by Philip Roth. At first I was disappointed because I thought I was about to read a book about the Prague revolution but instead I was reading a book about "the struggle of demoralized artists in a totalitarian society". The language was quite strong to my test as well. I was putting down the book several times but returning to it after a few days and eventually I have to say I liked the book. I didn`t fall in love with it but I liked it. I watched a BBC programme about Philip Roth; I found out that he is not an easy going fellow but that had pushed me to learn more about him as a writer.
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
sdurica
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sdurica.html

Post by sdurica »

I am drawn to an author who knows how to mess with the reader's mind or make them question what they already know. I think authors who are clever and can slip in those moments where you go "oh my god" intrigue me and make me want to read more of their work. I don't necessarily head directly to the most well known authors, I like to explore the undiscovered compelling novel.
Tanaya
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanaya.html
Latest Review: Beans...Finding My Way Home by Debi Brown
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Tanaya »

Honesty and passion. I appreciate authors who love what they're writing about and aren't just trying to make a bestseller. Authors who are true to who they are, even if they have an unpopular opinion. Clarity is also a major factor for me. I don't care for reading detail-heavy, excessive pretty-sounding prose. I prefer authors that are straightforward in their handling of prose and who have a clear sense of humor.
ChelseaMenjivar
Currently Reading: The Blue Bistro
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelseamenjivar.html
Latest Review: "Trails of the Heat" by Anthony W. Antolic

Post by ChelseaMenjivar »

I would have to say I'm drawn in by the author's writing style. I like all different kinds of genres, but what really gets my attention is the way the story is told. When I find an author I love, I tend to read all of his or her books.
Latest Review: "Trails of the Heat" by Anthony W. Antolic
Thatgirl
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thatgirl.html

Post by Thatgirl »

Detail, details so specific that I can feel, see, and taste the book.
sacha_arrak
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sacha-arrak.html
Reading Device: B00K2O4TI8

Post by sacha_arrak »

Their beliefs. Their principles. Their morals. Their family ties. The quality of the person will show me the quality of their work, the same way that a straight line can only be drawn with a quality pencil.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure...but there is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you...As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. -M.W.
98jazzy98
Favorite Author: Emily Bronte
Currently Reading: Invisible Man
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-98jazzy98.html
fav_author_id: 2494

Post by 98jazzy98 »

Something that makes me seek out other books by an author is their ability to make me think, whether there be symbols or deeper meanings, ect. I also love when authors have the ability to take your breath away or make you change perspective based on one line. It's magical.
ImpatientTypist
Currently Reading: Wee Free Men
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-impatienttypist.html

Post by ImpatientTypist »

A good book.

I know this sounds redundant but before I even look at the writer I look at the book. Just tell a good story, let me enjoy it and I'll read more of your books. If I put a book down and I look at the Author's name then they did their job right.

In the book itself, good pacing. I can forgive a lot of things but when a book drags on forever or jumps around for no good reason I usually drop it faster than a hot potato. I hate it when I get bored or confused for no good reason. And of course good characters, if I don't care about the characters I won't finish the story. Even the plot doesn't need to be great just keep the pacing good and the characters interesting and I'll finish it, and maybe read more if it appeals to me.

And that's about it.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

For me, anyway, it is a combination of two things: the story itself, and the manner in which it is told.

There are some authors who have great ideas for a story but present their story in a style that reads like a telephone book. There are other authors who write with the beauty of poetry but don't really have anything compelling to say. When I find an author who can tell a good story in a manner which is a delight to read I'm hooked and want to read everything they've written.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Ramona
Favorite Author: Too many...
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramona.html
Latest Review: "My Life In The Dirt: Adventures Of A Suburban Organic Farmer" by J. Don Bell
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Ramona »

Of course subject and content are important. Subjects that I have an interest in are probably first on the list. But content is probably next. I want to read a clean, "family friendly" if you will, book -- fiction or non-fiction-- without explicit details or language. When discussing this with my high school students about their writing and the use (or lack thereof) of swear words in their work, they said, "But it's only words." In light of the fact that they were not allowed to use that type of language in the school building, my response to them was, "Please humor me and increase your vocabulary" by finding other words or other ways to convey the intended content and meaning without swearing. Get creative, in other words.
I love a great fiction book with multiple threads delicately woven throughout the book. I don't remember the title or the author's name, but years ago I read a book that was outstanding in that way. I was TOTALLY surprised at the end with how the threads came together!! The ending was a wonderful surprise!!!
Non-fiction (biography, memoir,etc) needs to draw me into the person's life in a realisic way. I want to feel like I'm there with that person, walking beside him or her. But it needs to move along. Sometimes it can become a bit too detail orented; some minute details could be skipped without losing the story's momentum.
But something that makes me want to put the book down IMMEDIATELY IF NOT SOONER(!) is repeated grammatical error!!! A one time error can be overlooked as a typo, but when that same thing is consistent throughout the book... well, it's difficult! Punctuation... when a family name is referred to with the apostrophe either in the wrong place or there when it should not be there at all; i.e., when Smith is pluralized as "Smith's" throughout the entire book! Yes, I have read at least a couple that were that way. And the author of one of the books that had multiple errors actually thanked her proofreader! I'm reasonably sure that these books were self-published e-books, but that's no excuse in my thinking. (Well, now I'm getting on my soap-box, so I'll quit while I'm ahead!! :-) )
Last edited by Ramona on 15 Aug 2015, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
Latest Review: "My Life In The Dirt: Adventures Of A Suburban Organic Farmer" by J. Don Bell
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

sacha_arrak wrote:Their beliefs. Their principles. Their morals. Their family ties. The quality of the person will show me the quality of their work, the same way that a straight line can only be drawn with a quality pencil.
Wow! Very well put!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
WilliamsQ

Post by WilliamsQ »

Almost always people's personal reviews. My friends and people online like this forum. Official book reviews are not something I read, lol.

Return to “Discuss Authors”