What draws you to an author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Re: What draws you to an author?

Post by CaitlinGonya »

Usually its the genre, followed by the way they write. Othertimes its a recommendation and I just really want to keep going.
Heather Marie
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Heather Marie »

I am drawn in my the way they write and what genres they write. I am a huge sucker for romance. I usually don't like reading a book if its in third person, strange, I know. I like a book that isn't to serious, I like to have a good laugh while I'm reading. I have to agree with a previous comment, I absolutely love Ray Bradbury!
Bookworm8097
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm8097.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Bookworm8097 »

My process for picking a good book first starts with the genre, then the summary. Once I do that I tend to look into the author's bio and other works that they have written. If I were to recommend someone else to read the work of an author, I would make sure that the author fits the personality of that person.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Firedrake
Currently Reading: Flamecaster
Bookshelf Size: 696
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firedrake.html
Latest Review: "Roan" by E. R. Barr

Post by Firedrake »

Deft and powerful characterization is what draws me in, but if the writing style is poor, I will stop reading; there are too many good books out there for me to spend my time on ones I don't enjoy. The genre (usually fantasy, but sometimes science fiction, horror, or mystery) also matters to me, as does evocative setting. Plot is probably the least important thing, but if a plot is too unrealistic, relies on too many coincidences, or is non-existent, I also have a good chance of putting down that book.
Latest Review: "Roan" by E. R. Barr
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

I am a character-driven type of a reader. I like when an author manages to bring their characters to life, as if these fictional people could be found in every day life. Also, I usually judge an author based on their writing style; I like when their writing has certain characteristics, such as descriptive details and beautiful scenery, that keeps the flow of the story without leaving the reader wondering what on earth they just read.
ruishigan
Currently Reading: Lady Sophie's Christmas Wish
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by ruishigan »

Character development is the most important thing to me. I don't care about plot too much since I read a lot of King Arthur retellings or fairytale retellings. Good dialogue is also important. I'm immediately turned off by stiff or unrealistic dialogue.
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

I like the writing style of Rob White. The author of "And Then I Met Margaret." And I was so inspired with his story. Also Robert Kiyosaki. Without his book I was not be able to learn proper Financial Management. With his proper tips, right now I was saving my hard earn money. It's now increasing!
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I mostly recommend authors that gave me some kind of emotional reaction to the book (except of course the ones that made me angry because the book was so bad). If the author managed to pull me into a story of a book and kept me emotionally involved throughout the plot, I am sold.
expertonodd
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by expertonodd »

I'd say typically I tend to read books based on what I've heard about the book itself, or whether I like the style when I flick through. I rarely follow an author's work, unless of course they write books in a series.

The exception to this, however, is John Green. I watched his YouTube videos before I even knew he was an author, and now I admit I am horribly biased towards his books. I think part of the reason I love his books so much is he will speak about them in videos as he is writing (though rather vaguely as to avoid spoilers) so you get an interesting perspective on the book before you even read it. It makes the book a lot more personal, particularly as you have a small insight into John's own life and his experiences and reasons for writing the book.
Whippet
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whippet.html
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Whippet »

I really like an author who can do it all, and call every aspect of storytelling through writing their strength. If I read a novel strong in character, plot, theme and style, I'm completely swept away by the story as a whole and forget to focus on any one aspect. They combine to create an immersive story. Authors who do this for me are Jeffrey Eugenides and Haruki Murakami. Authors like Daniel Handler do this for me as well, but to a lesser extent as you can't help but notice their style, not that this takes away from the quality or experience of the story.
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

My favourite books are novels in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. Note, these are not the best books I've read, despite the author having a relatively original plot (minus the vampire theme) and the characters versed in badassery and black leather apparel.

The fact is I enjoyed the books, and didn't get bored and routinely skipped through the pages with the concurrent "Are we there yet?" oft present in the progression of most 'good' books. Ward's writing style was an interestingly captivating blend of sophisticated vulgarity, worldly youth and snap-quick snark. The combination was delivered amidst action-packed events that left you panting for more.

Basically, for a book to be worth the read, the writing style must be engaging above all else, with a fresh take or original plot.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
rik17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rik17.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by rik17 »

The writing style of the author matters to me a lot, even more than plot. A lot of writers nowadays write scripts for films rather than novels. Books need to stand on their own, with language and atmosphere that cannot be replicated by another medium.
SJSharks
Currently Reading: Unshaken
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by SJSharks »

I have to connect with the story. Once I find a book I connect with from that author then it leads me to want to read other books they have written and want to find out more about the author. Why did they decide the write the story they did? What kind of research did they put into the book?

I had been to 2 books signs of Diana Gabaldon's before I read one page in her books. Ultimately, the story intrigued me and I finally gave it a chance. So glad I did. As much as I enjoyed seeing Diana in person, it wasn't until I connected with the story that I wanted to know even more.
Catia
Favorite Book: Godsgrave
Currently Reading: The priest of blood
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catia.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Catia »

Usually I don't even look who the author is when I choose a new book, I usually look him or her up if I liked the story. Unless the book is written by an author that I know already and I like, mostly because he or she usually write genres that I enjoy reading, like fantasy and horror.
What draws me to an author is if they write in a way that makes me feel what the characters feel, if the world and the setting of the story are coherent and the "mechanic" of said world is working and if the characters are well developed.
What makes me run away from an author is if there is a lot of spelling and grammatical errors, I find they ruin the story even if the plot would be a good one.
No matter how busy you think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance - Confucius

Any fool can know. The point is to understand. - Albert Einstein
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

Usually what draws me most to an author is his backstory. I need to read from someone that has done weird stuff in his past, someone who can tell me something that I do not know of, someone that I can't relate to.
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.

Return to “Discuss Authors”