What draws you to an author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Digisha
Currently Reading: Code of Extra Ordinary mind
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-digisha.html
Latest Review: Ark of the Apocalypse by Tobin Marks

Re: What draws you to an author?

Post by Digisha »

I like Paul Coelho' s writing style as his apprehensive writings leads you on almost mixture tours of emotions.
Charlize Venter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlize-venter.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Charlize Venter »

What draws me most to an author is how they exhibit their artistic writing skill, their ability to tell a story in a manner which not only captivates the reader but how it is able to sink the reader into the writers world.

English can be a very succinct and precise language when applied correctly, when an author does this I'm hooked.
Claire Twy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claire-twy.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Claire Twy »

Scraig12 wrote: 24 Mar 2014, 15:47 What makes you select the authors you recommend most? Is it their story? Is it the way they write? Or is the the genre? Who is everyone's favorite author?
Interesting question. I read a wide variety of genres but I would say it's the creativity and originality of the ideas that really hooks me. My preferred genre is the fantasy genre and I love when authors create stories beyond the typical werewolf, wizards, vampires etc. Writing really has no limitations so I love when authors go wild with their ideas and surprise me with their ingenuity.
Masa1
Currently Reading: Creation 1954
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Masa1 »

What really draws me to an author is the way of writing the techniques the words the events especially the plot twist, I also like when authors write about true events or stories especially about their lives’s it really catch my attention and make me feel like I know the author more than what I already know.
Miculete Anemona
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miculete-anemona.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior: Acolyte of Truth by Antoine Bonner

Post by Miculete Anemona »

I wasn't aware of this at first but, after studying literature, I realized that what draws me to an author is the depth of their work.
By depth I do not mean how long or complex the story is, but more specifically how it is written and built. I study literature so I tend to analyse the methods authors use in their words and one concept I absolutely adore is solely related on the amount of details a book has. Each time I come across a book in which the author uses symbols, such as different objects, numbers, references to other texts, even colors, I tend to analyse it and see how that certain detail influences the rest of the work.
Lindzy Herbrand
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: A Wrinkle in Time
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindzy-herbrand.html
Latest Review: the REMF, Hurry Up and Wait by Ray Dyer
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by Lindzy Herbrand »

What really sends me into a rabbit-hole seeking out an author’s books is their character development. If I care about the character, the plot and setting doesn’t matter as much.
Sharon Christanto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-christanto.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD
Reading Device: B09N3YBXCN

Post by Sharon Christanto »

The most important aspects are the dictions, the character development, and the world-building (especially if he/she is an author of fantasy novels). Bonus point if there's unpredictable plot twists and/or ending
Vivian Amponsah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Vivian Amponsah »

Every author sends a message directly or indirectly to readers. The only thing that draws me and author is his message.
Stephanie Kanu
Currently Reading: A dream for peace
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladywhyte3.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Stephanie Kanu »

The writing style draws me to an author more than anything. I like an author being a little laidback and simple. Not too descriptive but not too vague either. I love humor and laughter so I love an author that can add a touch of a humorous character or sarcasm or something to laugh about a bit.
And if an author can make me laugh in the middle of a very serious scenario in a book, I'm sold.

Return to “Discuss Authors”