What draws you to an author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
CatMomof7
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catmomof7.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole
fav_author_id: 3251

Re: What draws you to an author?

Post by CatMomof7 »

If I read a book and enjoy the story, the characters and the way it reads..the flow. I will find more by that author and recommend them to others. However, I truly enjoy reading murder mysteries and I change from intense series to light-hearted ones. Sometimes I even enjoy a science fiction novel because I enjoy syfy on the TV.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

Its the writing style of an author; the way all the elements of a tale like story , language, characters and themes are all blended together that draws me to an author.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

It’s a combination of factors for me. Flow of writing and ease of reading (assuming the work was originally in English) is a factor for me. There are books that ultimately turn out to be good stories but felt like slogging through because the sentences didn’t flow so smoothly.

I read multiple genres, but there has to be a good story, reasonably believable, with very believable characters and a good or meaningful ending.

I don’t really have many favorite authors, but a lot of them I rank highly and might recommend based on the interest of the person I am talking to. I would probably recommend John Grisham to just about anyone because many of his books delve into legal issues and behind the scenes corruption or loopholes that I never would have been aware of if I hadn’t read his books, and to me that is incredibly valuable for my personal education as an American.

Classic authors at the very top of my list would be Sienkiewicz, Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky and Ibsen. I would have to say Quo Vadis is my all time favorite novel. It forever changed my perspective and encouraged me so much, and so Sienkiewicz has to be on the list.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

If the characters are well-developed and the story has a lot of movement consistently across books, I know that author's work works for me!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Lipscombpc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lipscombpc.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Lipscombpc »

This is probably shallow, but I am more attracted by the cover than the author. Then once I am reading if the plot is great I will continue reading the authors work.
DesireeRose
Currently Reading: The Blood of Winter
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desireerose.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by DesireeRose »

Good characters who are realistic are a must. A good plot that keeps me hooked is also important.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I am most drawn to authors that can pull me into the literary world they have created. I have read several books based on friends' recommendations, only to feel underwhelmed. Different aspects appeal differently to each of us, but I prefer a true cinematic style of imagery.
Chantelvr1
Currently Reading: The Devil's Fool
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chantelvr1.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Chantelvr1 »

Yes, I must agree with you. It all depends on how the authors uses their words to captivate us readers.
GStone4148
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by GStone4148 »

For nonfiction authors, I look for ones with some experience and authority. I prefer authors who delve into a topic thoroughly, who really know what they are talking about. Authors who are journalists or contribute to publications is important to me. For fiction authors, I like ones who are masterful at creating a sense of place and building characters.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

The way an author writes, the way he develops his or her characters and the way his story relates to real life events or lessons.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
ARLaho
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ARLaho »

Their sincerity. It usually comes through in their writing. I also really appreciate authors who express themselves and their ideas without resorting to foul language. I mean, let's face it, there are millions of words in the English language to pick from! Also, if I think a writer has a fresh approach that I really like, I will usually look for other books that they've written too.
Shawnarey

Post by Shawnarey »

I like authors who develop a group of characters who are related, but not readily identifiable as so. An author that can make a story unfold in a definite, yet unpredictable manner, will keep me seeking out said authors books. Authors can make me stop and re-read a sentence just because of the shock of it are my favorite!
cianarae
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cianarae.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by cianarae »

I think for me, genre has a lot to do with it. I love reading nonfiction books and books about feminism.

On another note, I like reading books by more marginalized people. So I tend to be more likely to read a work by a Black gay woman than a white straight man. I do this because I think white straight men have been listened to a lot more often, and I want some knowledge from a new source!
4cynthia72
Currently Reading: Word collector
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by 4cynthia72 »

What draws me is the the flow of the story and the communication, if the the style and the communication is complicated and I end up not understanding the flow, I usually leave the novel before finishing.
charmer68516

Post by charmer68516 »

I like the authors who use a historical setting of western frontier settling and/or early settler life in their books. Each family has shared stories of their past and the authors all have been able to use this information in their writing. I don't care for the changes some the authors have made from the historical western novels to more sci/fi writings.

Return to “Discuss Authors”