Who would you choose - Jane Austen or the Brontë sisters?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Jsaman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Who would you choose - Jane Austen or the Brontë sisters

Post by Jsaman »

Jane Austen - hands down, no contest!
Book_Wyrm
Currently Reading: The Brendan Voyage
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-wyrm.html

Post by Book_Wyrm »

AMP76 wrote:Thats a hard choice. But I think I would have to say Jane Austen because I adore her wit and scathing remarks masked as manners. I laugh more when reading Austen, not necessaily out of ha ha funny, but her clever intellect shines through her books. I like the Bronte's as well. However, I percieve them as more emotionally driven than intellectually driven. This may be my own personal bias towards lack of love for romance novels. I find the Bronte's don't employ wit as often and have a tendency to attempt pulling at heartstrings rather than thought provocation.
I vote Austen.
Interesting question! I would've said Austen but was sitting here trying to figure out exactly why ... I think AMP76 has summed it up beautifully. I've re-read Pride and Prejudice numerous times. I have read the two most prominent (I think) Bronte novels (Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre) -- but I haven't gone back to them over and over.
Larryjean
Currently Reading: A Path Through Suffering
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larryjean.html
Latest Review: "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox

Post by Larryjean »

I truly enjoy both Jane Austen as well as the Bronte sisters. Wuthering Heights is my favorite novel and always will be, but I never could get into any of the other Bronte novels. I always struggle to get through any Austen book, but her novels have a magic that reveals so much wisdom once I'm done the journey, yet not until then. I think Austen's novels are the most rewarding in the end, whereas the Bronte novels invoke more feelings and provoke the most contemplation throughout.
Latest Review: "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Jane Austen had stronger themes and messages in her work. At least, in my opinion she did.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Post by CaitlynLynch »

Austen. So much so that I actually write Pride and Prejudice variations under another pen name (Catherine Bilson!)
classicaltwist
Currently Reading: The Algorithm Design Manual
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-classicaltwist.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by classicaltwist »

I think that the Bronte sisters have more depth, but I still find myself enjoying Austen more. I've also read an absurd amount of P&P fanfiction.
"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind." -- William Blake
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

The only book I enjoyed out of the Bronte sisters is Jane Eyre. So I would probably have to go with Jane Austen since I love all of her stories.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I only read Jane Eyre and no other Bronte novel, but I did not enjoy it. I had to read it for a class and did not like it enough to read anything else by any Bronte.
I would definitely choose Jane Austen as I've read each of her novels multiple times and really enjoy them.
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

Jane Austen, definitely. Her underlying humor is unparalleled for the Victorian era.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

Hi from a Newbie! This is an interesting question and perhaps my answer has - if not exactly changed, then modified, over time. I once would have replied unequivocally the Brontes (with a shout-out for Anne - she's very under-estimated and 'The Tenant of Wildfell Hall' is superb) and even gone so far as to say I found Jane Austen boring and pretentious and couldn't see what all the palaver was about. Admittedly being badly taught her in school didn't help. But gradually and, yes, I admit it, with the help of TV/Film adaptations (unusual for me, I nearly always read/appreciate a book before the film) I have come to admire Jane and to realise that she's by no means as superficial as one may think. I especially like 'Emma' and 'Persuasion'. If push came to shove I would probably still come down on the Bronte side, but by no means as vehemently as may once have been the case.
melleigha
Currently Reading: 30th century:escape
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by melleigha »

Jane Austen.
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

Jane Austen, but not because of the romance. Its because of her and her personality. I have difficulties reading Wuthering Heights even though (for reasons I haven't identified) I always try to read it again and again at Christmas.
TheGhastlyGrimoire
Currently Reading: And The Wolf Shall Dwell
Bookshelf Size: 663
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theghastlygrimoire.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by TheGhastlyGrimoire »

I lean toward the Bronte sisters, especially because of their willingness to dip into the darker aspects of humanity. Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights both appeal to me greatly for that reason. Whereas when I read Pride & Prejudice, I had to force-feed it to myself - aside from Mr. Darcy, I just couldn't stand Austen's style. I know it's blasphemy, but on the rare occasion that I do delve into any sort of romance novel, I prefer to at least have a few horrific elements.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

Jane Austen, without question. Her characters, put simply, are better. She writes stories with messages that are more relatable and poignant in my opinion. I had the hardest time with Wuthering Heights and barely remember what happened other than my growing distaste for it all.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I love Jane Austen. I only read Jane Eyre from Charlotte Bronte. And I kind of disliked it. Too much drama for my taste. But that was years ago so I might give them another try.

Return to “Discuss Authors”