Who would you choose - Jane Austen or the Brontë sisters?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Who would you choose - Jane Austen or the Brontë sisters?

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

Hi, @uyky, 'Jane Eyre' is one of my all-time favourite books, but of course we all have our own opinions and experiences. One think I would respectfully suggest is that if you do ever feel like giving it another go, it might be an idea to read a biography of Charlotte, and perhaps her family too, before you pass judgement, as the book is VERY autobiographical, and maybe that would help. Just an idea!
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
Written Legalist
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-written-legalist.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Post by Written Legalist »

I think Wuthering Heights alone is greater than Austen’s work. Audten tends to bore me with her focus on manners and social etiquette. I have a hard time relating to almost any of her characters, who are so concerned with social dynamics and reputation of the upper classes. Emily Bronte pulls at her readers heartstrings and can discuss the theme of love and betrayal with a gothic edge to her style. I prefer that any day of the week, as it’s something that transcends any one particular era and relates to almost every reader.
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

Definitely the Bronte sisters. I’m that one girl who never could get into Jane Austen no matter how hard I tried. I just plain don’t relate! I really am not that big a fan of the Bronte sisters either but I definitely prefer their stories.
Rudolf Umo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rudolf Umo »

I recommend "Jane Austen" as she have had a lot of input in the book.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I would choose the Bronte sisters just for Jane Eyre as it is a book I still enjoy to this day.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

Jane Austen is one of my favorite authors of all time.
sanykip
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanykip.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by sanykip »

Jane Austen is always the best author in my view.
Only1Cola
Currently Reading: The Age of Innocence
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only1cola.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Only1Cola »

I find Jane Austen more entertaining and amusing. I also love her grasp of human nature and the lessons we can learn from her portrayal of personality traits that we all experience. I find the Brontes a bit darker, but also very forward thinking for their time. I love the strong female characters that they create - strong in mind and character, but not without heart.

I must confess that I read Austen’s novels over and over again, so my preference would be Jane.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

Jane Austen for me! I love the way that her novels focus so highly on the female perspective, and how the witty the characters are. Especially Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice, who I looked up to since I first saw the movie and then read the book!
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I would have to say Austen. I really like her veiled sarcasm and the fact that her novels are a social commentary in disguise. With so little, she says so much.

I find the Brönte sisters a little bit too dramatic at times, though I really enjoyed Jane Eyre.
WhiteLotus
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 1019
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitelotus.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by WhiteLotus »

I can easily say I will take any book by the Brontë sisters before any of Austen's. I find them far more engaging and entertaining. I couldn't tell you why precisely, but Austen's work bores me. Every time I've tried to read one of her books, I just can't get past the first few pages. Something about her writing just doesn't click with me, and that's ok. I'll just stick to the Brontë sisters.
Novelbound
Currently Reading: She Walks These Hills
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novelbound.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Novelbound »

I do love both, but I would choose the Brontë sisters. Wuthering Heights is my favorite book of all time, so that the decision isn't too difficult. I think the Brontës were really ahead of their time.
klarrysah_223
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by klarrysah_223 »

Jane Austen, but not for Pride and Prejudice. My favorites are Nothanger Abbey and Mansfield Park.
I've seen a couple film versions of Jane Eyre and I thought both were extremely boring with a rather lame plot. Maybe the book is better, but I've never really been interested after seeing the movie.
FlissShields
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flissshields.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth Munk's Forest Edge Adventure by Faye McFarland

Post by FlissShields »

I wrote my Bachelors thesis on Jane Austen so I feel I ought to say her, however though her works are a good commentary on the times she lived in, they could be considered “fluff”. Certainly when compared to the works of the Brontë sisters.

Having said all that, I still pick up Austen’s work time and again, but have barely ever re-read any Brontë work.
Anna1512
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna1512.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by Anna1512 »

I think that Jane Austen was a very strong woman and I admire her. However I prefer the Bronte sisters' writing style, they make me feel strongest emotions than Austen. Charlotte's books are my favourites, expecially Jane Eyre

Return to “Discuss Authors”