Tolstoy?!!!?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Tolstoy?!!!?

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I loved Anna Karenina. I'm currently working through War and Peace.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

I have war and peace sitting in my TBR footlocker, and it is a very very full footlocker.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I know Tolstoy, but I have not read any of his books yet.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

I plan to read some of Tolstoy's books in the future, as he is an intriguing author.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I think the translation might matter, particularly in Russian literature. Apparently, based on what a friend told me, their language is quite different that English - I think English is a lot less theoretic but more unisex, if that makes any sense. As to feeling as if you are a "stock character" in a Tolstoy novel, that is interesting. I'm not sure what it means, exactly. A prototype or a standard of sorts. Not like that's a bad thing. If you were a vodka, what kind of a vodka would you be? Russian Standard is extraordinarily smooth, Stolichnaya is a bit harsher. Ketel One, also not quite so smooth. I'm not a big drinker, I made a bunch of extracts for cooking and Russian Standard is really good for that. If you're like Russian Standard, would you be a walking version of the song "Smooth" by Rob Thomas and Santana? Like a bad drunken sailor rendition, slurring "Throw 'er in the drink!" I don't think Vronsky or Anna appear to completely fit the Russian Standard/Smooth character, although Tolstoy might have been a master of disguise. Tolstoy seemed to me to write as if he were in pain. I hate to think that he was, but that is another reason to write. Men at that time, men all the time, tend to ignore health issues and I hope that was not the case for him. He is a wonderful writer and in some photos he seems very imposing and it was an unfortunate time in Russia with all the changes.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
saracristina1998
Favorite Book: Narnia chronicles The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Currently Reading: Nightlord sunset (The Nightlord Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saracristina1998.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by saracristina1998 »

I would love to be able to have a cup of coffee with Tolstoy, and asking about his FOURTEEN CHILDREN. I mean, weren't they in war by that time? didn't they have anything else to do? That really hunts me sometimes.

I recently read Anna Karenina and I really loved it. The way the characters change their behavior with the surroundings really speaks for the fragility of people's minds. I actually did a full review of this book on my Instagram, even though is in Spanish. either way, you're all welcome to visit my profile anytime.
aby johnson
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: A Gentleman in Moscow
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aby-johnson.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B07FQ4Q7MB
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by aby johnson »

War and Peace or Anna Karenina, which should i read first?
Smile, for better days are yet to come :D

Return to “Discuss Authors”