Young adult authors?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
mystery lady
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">Rogue</a>
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mystery-lady.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Young adult authors?

Post by mystery lady »

Libby Bray, the author of the Gemma Doyle trilogy, is one of the best YA writers. She has written several other books as well.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
missklovey
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missklovey.html

Post by missklovey »

Young adult was one of my first reading loves, so I don't see myself stopping. Fantasy in particular really made an impact on me in middle school/high school. Lately I've been getting more into science fiction and I'm loving that as well.
Nikkig91
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkig91.html

Post by Nikkig91 »

I love young adult books! There are a lot of really interesting books in the young adult section!
Gabby
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabby.html

Post by Gabby »

I enjoy young adult authors. It also helps me stay involved in the classroom keeping up with what my students are reading.
sagirudn1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sagirudn1.html

Post by sagirudn1 »

I have a few, but one of my favorites is Lois Duncan. Lois Duncan has written many mystery young adult books and they are great!
falloutlunartic
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falloutlunartic.html
Latest Review: "Adrift on a Sea of Stars" by John Stilwell
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by falloutlunartic »

Young Adult novels capture imaginative worlds better than other genres, in my opinion. I think it's because the author's intent is towards young adult readers (shocker, I know) but also because teens have higher standards in creativity than adults, so the author has to work harder at building up the setting and backstory.

One of my favorite YA authors is Margaret Peterson Haddix. Every series/book she writes is a fresh idea that peaks your interest.
e.g. missing children from history, offspring limits, fake war, abandoned children.
Latest Review: "Adrift on a Sea of Stars" by John Stilwell
GreenEyedGlory
Currently Reading: Lost in Prophecy (The Ascension Series #4)
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reading Device: B00VFHHA1Y

Post by GreenEyedGlory »

I'm glad I'm not the only one here in this category. I'm also in my late 20s and I do enjoy th YA genre. I recently discovered a book in the dollar store called So Close To You by Rachel Carter and was suprised that I really enjoyed the story and was looking forward to the books that came after this story.
Amber OConnor
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Amber OConnor »

YA books and authors are some of my favorite. I think they have a tendency to draw you in more. They give me another perspective as an adult. As I always have a book in hand in some way YA books are an easy go to.
joanofarc2015
Favorite Author: J.K Rowling
Currently Reading: War and Peace
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joanofarc2015.html
Latest Review: "Philia and Sophia : The book of love and wisdom" by nikitha hingad

Post by joanofarc2015 »

Bibliophile97 wrote:Young adult is my favorite as well, though I haven't really delved into Adult yet. There just seems to be more variety and more imagination in Young adult and childrens books. I plan on writing one this summer actually.
bibliophile97 is totally correct. YA has a lot of "magic" to it although some people endorse them too much hehe. i think a good YA book really vents on realistic teen situations
Latest Review: "Philia and Sophia : The book of love and wisdom" by nikitha hingad
SerenadingSusan
Currently Reading: The 5th Wave
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by SerenadingSusan »

Young Adult book is my favorite, too. Always have. Especially fanfic, scifi or dystopian. And I am 30. But I don't think age have anything to do with what book lit you're into, right. Age is just a number afterall.
FrancescaV
Currently Reading: The Sun Also Rises
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francescav.html

Post by FrancescaV »

I'm 29 and I enjoy young adult books. There seems to be more variety and authors for this genre do not fear playing with demons, vampires, aliens, and other creatures to make an interesting and unexpected story.
Raven1128
Currently Reading: What's Left of Me
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raven1128.html

Post by Raven1128 »

I enjoy reading YA novels some of my favorite authors being: Marissa Meyer, Cassandra Clare, Gabrielle Zevin and Sarah J. Maas. YA novels are not afraid to deal with the uncertainties of life.
rdifab72

Post by rdifab72 »

Melody Carlson is an excellent young adult author. Her Color Me series does a wonderful job of creating true to life characters who face real struggles as they graduate and try to adjust to the real world. Some face problems such as overspending and getting into credit card debt while others try to deal with depression or loss. Each book in the series brings a different problem that young adults face to light and poses real solutions.
Almille
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Currently Reading: Carnal Secrets: The Phoenix Pack
Bookshelf Size: 5
Publishing Contest Votes: 56
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Almille »

I'm 27 and still love reading YA. My favorite YA authors are Lurlene McDaniels and Richelle Mead. I think the reason adults like YA books is because it takes us from our stressful reality and brings out our inner youth.
NavyBrat171196
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-navybrat171196.html

Post by NavyBrat171196 »

I honestly don't know a single person who doesn't like YA novels. Personally I find they're easier to get into and stay involved with them, I actually relate to these books better than I do Adult books.

Return to “Discuss Authors”