Young adult authors?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
seafoster
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Young adult authors?

Post by seafoster »

I have just finished reading from Amazon a YA book entitled "An Ominous Book" by Nancy Foster. It has all the themes that I enjoy: sorcery, magic, castles, elves, human emotions. Ms. Foster has a great imagination and I just love the way she describes her world and the book is utterly entertaining! And it is a saga of 6 books, so I can't wait to read the next!

It is very clever the way the writer takes you very nicely from chapter 1 until the dramatic and quite unexpected ending. You can't help falling for Lord Spaulding. The writer gives you hints of his personality and demeanor, and the character grows into you without becoming aware until it has finally hooked you.

I really like Ms. Foster's writing style, which is not cumbersome, on the contrary, it is quite nimble. Not only do her words just flow nicely but also she is capable of giving you such precise descriptions of rather difficult episodes (like chapter 5), with scenes that are so fast-paced, dynamic and dramatic, that you really feel like you are right there in the middle of the battles. Really awesome!

I also like the fact that she takes the time to give you enough descriptions of each character so that you feel like you know them. Ms. Foster is really skillful in this, and above all her imagination, wow! how she thought about all the intricacies of the plots. Indeed, great book.

Overall, it is a great book and I truly recommend it. It is full of emotion, mystery, adventure, great characters, elves, castles, magic, human emotions all intertwined in a most delightful way.

Great book, Ms. Foster! Can't wait to read the next one.
TanyaMay
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by TanyaMay »

I’m 31 and I read mostly YA as well. It is more entertaining to me. I love it. My favorite YA authors are Jennifer L. armentrout. Abbi Glines!!! And Tarisa Marie if you like Paranormal Romance.
E G Suth
Currently Reading: The shock of the fall
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-g-suth.html
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook

Post by E G Suth »

Ohh I love young adult books. There are some fantastic authors such as Rick Riordan, Sarah J Mass and Leigh Bardugo that you don't find in any other genre. However you can get some serious w clichés toi :doh:
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook
Jesscar6
Currently Reading: A Song of Ice and Fire
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscar6.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jesscar6 »

I love reading YA books. Particularly dystopian and post-apocalyptic.
My favourites are Terry Schott, Vera Nazarian', The Atlantis Grail series and I like Susanne valenti' books.
Allie_L
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Allie_L »

I only very recently have moved away from the YA genre and into the general fantasy, but I still definitely keep an eye on YA and keep up with things that are coming out.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

Veronica Roth is a great young adult author to look into as well as Sarah J. Maas! :D
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Danimac217
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Danimac217 »

I love David Leviathan, Cassandra Clare, and Rainbow Rowell. I recently discovered books by Alice Oseman who writes books about teens, where the characters are so fully formed, and there are no obvious plots. Her book Radio Silence is so inspiring, all about how young people are pressured into going to university, instead of being encouraged to follow their passions. Honestly its my new favourite book!
Stacy_Morgan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacy-morgan.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Stacy_Morgan »

You may not want to get me started in this topic. Haha. To start, however: Eion Colfer, Chris Colfer, Jeramey Kraatz, Kenneth Oppel, Kiera Cass, Jude Watson, Suzanne Collins, James Dashner, Jen Swann Downey, and Gordon Korman. I'm limiting myself to 10. ;)

Return to “Discuss Authors”