Mark Twain

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Terri2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Mark Twain

Post by Terri2 »

What do you think of Mark Twain? I think he's a good author, but I wasn't that interested by his novels. Nonetheless, I think he was a brilliant and creative man. What do you think?
readertim109

Post by readertim109 »

I liked his books a lot. I found them fun and entertaining. Granted, I was young when I read them. I might go back and reread them.

How old was everyone when they read Mark Twain's stories about Tom and Huckleberry?
"Show me the books he loves and I shall know the man far better than through mortal friends."
~ Dawn Adams ~
Hippykitty

Post by Hippykitty »

Had to study him at Uni; for a course option concerning the literature of the American South. Really lightened the course. I remember a quote by a critic which formed the basis of an essay we had to write: "Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn are the same dream dreamed twice over, the second time as a nightmare,".

But I loved his other novels too: A Connecticut Yankee, Puddin' Head Wilson, etc.
I still have them; must dust them off the top shelf to read again.
notrorygilmore

Post by notrorygilmore »

His novels aren't bad, but I hate studying them in school. I've had to read Huck Finn so many times. I wish there were a few more books teachers felt they could teach. Earlier this semester I walked into my the last English class of my college career and was disappointed to see on the syllabus that once again I would be reading Huck Finn. While I enjoyed both Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn, I am sick of reading Finn in so many English classes.

Of course I was also dismayed to hear that three girls in the class had no idea that Tom Sawyer & Huck Finn were different novels. When our professor was asking how many people have read Huck Finn before a few people raised their hands. After she gave us some more information about Mark Twain, these three girls raise their hands and say, "Wait. We just heard you say something about his [Twain] other work, Tom Sawyer. Are these not the samebook?" I could not believe this. How do people think these two books are the same? Plus, they have different titles. Why would the cover of the book we are reading say "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" if it was also known as Tom Sawyer? I mean, really. So naturally they told the teacher that they had never read Huck Finn afterall. It was Tom Sawyer they read in high school and assumed it was the same book. I just don't undertand how anyone could make this mistake, much less people in a class that you only have to take if you are an English major or minor.

Sorry, I went on a rant. :(
baconpatroller

Post by baconpatroller »

Terri2 wrote:What do you think of Mark Twain? I think he's a good author, but I wasn't that interested by his novels. Nonetheless, I think he was a brilliant and creative man. What do you think?
I liked A Connecticut Yankee best. Kind of science-fictiony.
LawnTamer

Post by LawnTamer »

Puddin'Head Wilson was a great little read.

Mark Twain once commented on that his writing had been compared to the writing of the great authors as water compared to wine, his remark was that "everybody drinks water." It is true.

If you are ever in Elmira, NY, take the time to visit Elmira college, they have an interesting Mark Twain museum and his study has been preserved, and is usually left open for people to walk through.
Blake's Tyger

Post by Blake's Tyger »

I had six books when I was young - including Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. I read them over and over and can still remember the smell of them, sort of peppery.
andr70

Post by andr70 »

I've read all Twain's books. I think, it's a greatest author in the world.
yarryneil

Post by yarryneil »

I truly enjoy his work
TheoGio

Post by TheoGio »

A very witty man, his books are still entertaining.
Comeflyaway

Post by Comeflyaway »

notrorygilmore wrote:His novels aren't bad, but I hate studying them in school. I've had to read Huck Finn so many times. I wish there were a few more books teachers felt they could teach. Earlier this semester I walked into my the last English class of my college career and was disappointed to see on the syllabus that once again I would be reading Huck Finn. While I enjoyed both Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn, I am sick of reading Finn in so many English classes.

Of course I was also dismayed to hear that three girls in the class had no idea that Tom Sawyer & Huck Finn were different novels. When our professor was asking how many people have read Huck Finn before a few people raised their hands. After she gave us some more information about Mark Twain, these three girls raise their hands and say, "Wait. We just heard you say something about his [Twain] other work, Tom Sawyer. Are these not the samebook?" I could not believe this. How do people think these two books are the same? Plus, they have different titles. Why would the cover of the book we are reading say "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" if it was also known as Tom Sawyer? I mean, really. So naturally they told the teacher that they had never read Huck Finn afterall. It was Tom Sawyer they read in high school and assumed it was the same book. I just don't undertand how anyone could make this mistake, much less people in a class that you only have to take if you are an English major or minor.

I can understand the frustration, but I don't think the mistake is that crazy. Tom Sawyer (the character) does show up in Huck Finn, so it doesn't seem like that much of a stretch to me. Then again, I wasn't an English major in college so my only exposure to either of them was a summer assignment to read Huck Finn and write an essay on it....
Somusan

Post by Somusan »

notrorygilmore wrote:His novels aren't bad, but I hate studying them in school. I've had to read Huck Finn so many times. I wish there were a few more books teachers felt they could teach. Earlier this semester I walked into my the last English class of my college career and was disappointed to see on the syllabus that once again I would be reading Huck Finn. While I enjoyed both Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn, I am sick of reading Finn in so many English classes.

I understand how you feel. It also happens to my English class. Our teacher tell us this common misunderstanding and we all laugh at it as we think we almost think as what he just said.

Anyway, I still love to read and reread Huck finn and Tom Sawyer. They are one of a refreshment for me whenever I get tired of adult world. :)
therewaseden

Post by therewaseden »

I do need to go through and read his longer novels. His short stories are so wonderful, he brings a fresh perspective to ordinary things. I think he is one of the great authors who was able to make a radical political statement through his literature while using humor and satire, which takes great skill and a sharp wit. Huge fan, would love to discuss specific works and their historical context if anyone is interested.
Miera

Post by Miera »

Terri2 wrote:What do you think of Mark Twain? I think he's a good author, but I wasn't that interested by his novels. Nonetheless, I think he was a brilliant and creative man. What do you think?
Well, I too feel that he is brilliant :)
Fantasy Guy

Post by Fantasy Guy »

I like Twain, and I really like that his books are not intended to be read into, but rather to be enjoyed for their entertainment value. English teachers get way to worked up with their ideas of what Twain meant by certain passages.

Return to “Discuss Authors”