Mark Twain

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
MoreCowbell
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MoreCowbell »

I just re-read Huckleberry Finn at age 26 and absolutely loved it! I remembered basic bits of the story but the ending was a complete surprise, so that was great! I had missed huge chunks of meaning as a child, especially concerning slavery and Jim's situation, so it was enjoyable on so many more levels now.
I definitely plan on checking out the rest of his works, including ones I have "read before" like Tom Sawyer...who knows what details of that one escaped me as a child!
I also find Mark Twain's quotes hilarious and brilliant.
VictoriaTwead

Post by VictoriaTwead »

Blake's Tyger wrote:I had six books when I was young - including Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. I read them over and over and can still remember the smell of them, sort of peppery.
I know exactly what you mean!
The Mythwriter

Post by The Mythwriter »

I love his books, they're the few I read that actually make me laugh while at the same time being very profound. They're actually fairly easy to get through, comparatively speaking, once you get used to the dialect he sometimes employs.
"The world has been printing books for 450 years, and yet gunpowder still has a wider circulation. Never mind! Printer's ink is the greater explosive: it will win." - Christopher Morley, "The Haunted Bookshop."
Faulknerfan

Post by Faulknerfan »

Having recently read a biography of Twain, I will never be able to read his works with the joy and admiration I once had. He lived a miserable life (mostly of his own choosing) and made virtually everyone else around him miserable, too. His humor is now lost on me as I now understand it was largely based on contempt for his fellow man. I have read many biographies of authors, none of which has affected me as much as Twain's. If you wish to enjoy his works, don't read a biography of him.
thsavage2
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thsavage2.html
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday

Post by thsavage2 »

I love Mark Twain and I think Huck Finn is one of the most important satirical works (and just books in general). I love Huck and Jim and the adventures they go on. The book is also really funny. However, there are some people who don't understand that it is satire, which is where a lot of miscommunication happens. Twain is brilliant and snarky and I wish I could have met him. Tom Sawyer is also good, but it can be read by younger readers. Huck Finn should be taught in the later years in high school because it actually deals with some pretty heavy stuff, and I found it much more enjoyable to discuss with more mature students.
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

I enjoy Mark Twain and think his adventurous spirit can be felt in all of his novels. I have been to Virginia City, Nevada several times, which is where he began his writing career as a journalist for "The Territorial Enterprise." I've seen his offices there and it is quite interesting to hear about his life in the old mining town. If anyone ever gets the chance, take a trip out there (right in the mountains overlooking Reno) and spend some time soaking up this historical town. The Mark Twain Bookstore is a gem...great place!
Thabang Amos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thabang-amos.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Thabang Amos »

I like Mark Twain's book, he always knows how to connect with his readers. He is one of the authors that made me enjoy reading books and actually fuelled my interest in books
Eko romansah

Post by Eko romansah »

I think, he is good author with unique character
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

If you like Twain look for one of his lesser known works called Letters From The Earth. It is not a novel, but rather a collection of essays, many of which are hilarious, like his satire of English protocol. In one essay he creates an educational guide describing how to properly adhere to English customs in varying situations; for instance, in the event of a fire a man must observe strict rules if attempting to rescue a woman in distress from a burning building. He talks about all the proper ways to address her in different situations. If she is single a man must observe certain criteria and if married, other criteria. Of course what he is really saying is that the English are so steeped in traditional propriety (remember this is during the time of Queen Victoria) that the woman in distress would probably die before he could get through all the conventions required to make a properly acceptable introduction. He learns that when calling on someone in English society one must present his card. He thinks this means a playing card. He presents a 4 of clubs for one type of meeting and an ace of hearts for another etc.

One of the essays contained in the book is called, The French And The Comanches which had me laughing out loud. He compares the historical bloodlust of the French (massacre of the Huguenots and Reign Of Terror) with the savage Comanche Indians of his own homeland. The essay ends with his call for the rest of humanity to instruct the French in civility and to "elevate this disparaged and deprecated link between man and the simian to true brotherhood among us." *LOL*

/
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I enjoy Mark Twain. I like his adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. I need to read them again though as it has been a few years since I last did so.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Sandi
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0">Blessed Child</a>
Currently Reading: The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Sandi »

The best book by Mark Twain I have ever read is his official autobiography. The autobiography (in 3 volumes) is funny, honest and surprising. I was always surprised and learned a lot about Samuel Clemens the man.
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

I love Mark Twain. A Huckleberry Finn is my absolute favorite story. I can read it over and over again.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I enjoyed his books when I was younger, but they don't have the same attraction for me now. He might be a little overrated. But he is one of the best American authors.

Return to “Discuss Authors”