Patrick Rothfuss

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
kl23
Currently Reading: The Rising
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kl23.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Patrick Rothfuss

Post by kl23 »

Love, love, love, these books! (Including The Slow Regard of Silent Things!) This one is written from Auri's POV and seems to hint that she was enrolled at the University at some point in the past before something went wrong, she had a workroom, and knew Mandrag, I think that she may have been a Namer. It's quite lovely, and different, and the book doesn't really have any action. This is not a bad thing.
Jenreads87
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenreads87.html

Post by Jenreads87 »

I've not read any books by Patrick Rothfuss. However, I had him as a professor in college several years ago. He was pretty off the wall but I enjoyed him as a professor. I have his books on my "to read" list.
master_little
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-master-little.html

Post by master_little »

Wooww!!!! How is he as a person? Do share some anecdotes.. :D
Jenreads87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenreads87.html

Post by Jenreads87 »

Haha! I wish I could remember more stories about him! The biggest thing I remember was that he would go on here long tangents about completely unrelated topics and then, all of a sudden, go back to the actual topic. Also, he spelled fairy tales and "faerie tales" and always explained that it could be spelled that way when he could, obviously, hear that students thought it just couldn't spell.
Lastly, one class (not sure how it related in the slightest), he showed us this really old computer game that only had words. You would type in something and it would read something like "You come to a door" and then you could have to type in what you would do. I've forgotten what the name of the game was but, for some reason, never forgot about it!
master_little

Post by master_little »

Awesomee... Looks to be a cool guy. No wonder he wrote these fab books.... I'm sure he was thinking about the characters even then, while teaching you... Never thought of him as a professor. :D
Insomniac07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insomniac07.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Insomniac07 »

I've read The Name of the Wind and loved it. But, Wise man's fear has been a little hard to get into. Did anyone else have this trouble?
master_little

Post by master_little »

Nahh.. Not at all.. I loved the Denna/Kvothe scenes, their passion and characters. The second book is more of world building with a lot of places explored. The second half is pretty godd. Give it time and patience.. :)
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Post by micoleon13 »

I was a bit sceptical about these books, but a friend had recommended them. They are awesome!! Can't talk enough about them. They started me off enjoying fantasy books and searching for related authors less to the gentlemen bastards by Scott Lynch, another great series. Still no Kvothe though
master_little

Post by master_little »

Kvothe is Kvothe.. You can't match him. Event though Gentlemen's Bastards are better in humour. Heist fantasy is different
Laith
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laith.html

Post by Laith »

I read the two books in the series so far because someone lent them to me and I'd heard they were really good and the sort of thing I'd enjoy, but I was really disappointed by them. I think for me the biggest issue was that I found the main character completely unlikeable.
Anonymous_girl
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anonymous-girl.html

Post by Anonymous_girl »

BriannaOW wrote:
First of all I just have to laugh that this discussion started in 2014. It is now 2016, and I am still wondering what will happen to Kvothe on the third day of "Kote" telling his story to Chronicler. I love this series and author. But I also loathe him for leading me on with no conclusion in site.

I need to read Slow Regard of Silent Things. How did it compare to the other books? Are any main characters of the series in it other than Auri? I absolutely love her!

I finished all of them in the last week or so and loved them, already can't wait for the third book, can only imagine how frustrating it is after two years, but if you haven't read the Slow Regard of Silent Things yet I would definitely recommend doing so, it's a great little peek into Auri's world
Fabbookdiva1988

Post by Fabbookdiva1988 »

I remember the "aha" moment I had when I realized that there would be 3 books and I held in my hands the first and the second hadn't even come out yet!!! I own the 2nd but haven't started it yet. I feel like I will be too stressed out when I finish it and there isn't even an announcement as to when the 3rd book will come out. Patrick Rothfuss seems like a pretty cool guy. I follow him on twitter and he seems to do alot of "geek" cons i.e. Dragoncon, Comiccon. I hope he comes to Atlanta someday, I would love to have him sign my books.
master_little

Post by master_little »

FabBookDiva , you are in a fab position. You haven't read the second book!!! I read the book 3 years ago and am still regretting it.
Not because it is an awesome book, which it MOST definitely is, but because the wait for the third book is killing me and the future doesn't look bright on the horizon. I just hope he writes it before I die. **sigh**
But aside from that Rothfuss is a cool guy for sure. He was a professor at some unversity and I've heard he used to go on tangents in the middle of his teachings. Must have been fun. :D
mysticmechanika
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by mysticmechanika »

Not only is he a phenomenal writer (because he takes great pain in reviewing his books... over and over again) but he is hilarious and funny to follow on Twitter.
I am excited to see what masterpiece he provides when book 3 comes out.
Catatonixx
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catatonixx.html

Post by Catatonixx »

Yep! Huge fan, here!

I listened to his audiobooks first and completely fell in love with his writing. He writes like he's composing music. It's so fluid and beautiful.

And his story! His story is elegantly woven with twists and turns that I never would have expected.

I'm patiently (not so patiently) waiting for Doors of Stone to come out. I'm hoping soon because I need to know how Kvothe's story ends!

Return to “Discuss Authors”