Dan Brown

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
David Bowman
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Ulysses</a>
Currently Reading: Echo
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-bowman.html
Latest Review: "Earth Angel" by Alex Apostol
fav_author_id: 2516

Re: Dan Brown

Post by David Bowman »

Anxious Educator wrote: I found a free copy (huzzah!) of The Lost Symbol, and it's on my to-read list. Anybody read that one?
I read both The Da Vinci Code and The Lost Symbol. Both of them, to me, were mundane and poorly written. The only thing that kept me going through The Da Vinci Code were the short chapters. It was like munching on popcorn, never stopping until the bucket turns up empty. Some of the historical information and references were intriguing but not enough to keep me interested.

But that was one book. The Lost Symbol was a complete mess. Plot holes, cheaply written cliffhangers, and formulaic scenes were galore. None of the story interested me and many times I found myself ready to quit. Never read Inferno and wouldn't be planning on it. Umberto Eco, on the other hand, is another level of writing.

Plus, has anyone noticed that The Da Vinci Code basically means, The Of Vinci Code?
Latest Review: "Earth Angel" by Alex Apostol
rabbit3034
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by rabbit3034 »

I first read Angels & Demons and I really enjoyed it. So I quickly my hands on all his other books; and even though everyone made a big deal about DaVinci Code, I liked Angels and Demons better. But as I read his books, I could see a pattern and I couldn't even finish reading Inferno. His books are becoming very formulaic and he creates a surprise villain for the sake of a surprise ending, not for the believability.
I'm not looking forward to his books, as much as I used to.
hkenney1
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hkenney1.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by hkenney1 »

My favorite is hands down "Angels and Demons." For so many reasons this novel is my favorite, but mainly because I was never able to guess what was going to happen next. The ending was a perfect twist that I did not foresee, where as in his novel "DaVinci Code," I foresaw the ending and was a little disappointed.

-- 23 Jun 2015, 14:03 --
irynochka06
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irynochka06.html

Post by irynochka06 »

I adore all of his novels. Dan Brown is the author whose novels take my breath away and keep me tense till the last page. All of his novels are full of intrigues, interesting information and secrets. I like his style very much and I reccommend Dan Brown to all of my friends.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I enjoyed Da Vinci Code, but I liked Angels and Demons more and I loved Inferno most of all. I also read the others, Deception Point, Digital Fortress and the Lost Symbol.
Ragam Mubashshir
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ragam-mubashshir.html

Post by Ragam Mubashshir »

Had become fan of Dan Brown after reading Da Vinci Code then more impressed with Angels and Demon. Had continued n got all his books at that time (its been some years) but couldn't go for Lost Symbol n Inferno.. Will soon cover up..
Kira Inara

Post by Kira Inara »

Deception Point. Though its difficult to get through the first 20-25 pages. I remember most of my friends back then quit reading the book before the 15th page! Once you get through that and you realise that Dan Brown has spun a gem among all his works.
pratap_km
Currently Reading: London
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pratap-km.html

Post by pratap_km »

I read all his Books. My favorite sequence from best are Angels and Damon , Inferno, Da Vinci Code, deception Point, Digital Fortress and Lost Symbol.

In fact Lost Symbol is a waste of time without a proper climax. The others are passable.
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

I have read The Lost Symbol and Inferno. Novel Inferno is one of the best novels I ever read. It's a brilliant idea of Mr. Brown in linking Dante Alighieri’s epic poem The Divine Comedy to overpopulation disaster.
RFooter
Currently Reading: Achieve Your Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by RFooter »

So far I have enjoyed everything he writes....but I think Inferno is the best so far!!
believe03

Post by believe03 »

The Davinci Code is definitely my favorite.
smarsh

Post by smarsh »

Before I became a Christian I rather enjoyed the davinci code. I thought it was very interesting although now I look back and find it a little offensive. I feel that a book like this can deceive people into thinking that those details could be possible. It may be fun to think that it could but it contradicts biblical scripture.
hkachelmeier
Currently Reading: The Sound of Our Steps
Bookshelf Size: 1104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hkachelmeier.html

Post by hkachelmeier »

I have mixed feelings on Dan Brown. I really enjoyed Angels and Demons and wish I had read it before The Da Vinci Code. I found myself disliking The Da Vinci Code and I don't think it was because it was a poorly written book, quite the opposite. I think I disliked it because so many people raved about how fantastic it was and that it was the best book they had ever read. I read the book and I felt like I had read many more books that I would say were better than The Da Vinci Code. Since reading The Da Vinci Code, I find myself shying away from the super popular, all the rave novels because I find the hype isn't always what it's cracked up to be.
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

Angels and Demons and The Digital Fortress. I used to love his old books more than his new ones.
dbressler
Currently Reading: Chilled
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbressler.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by dbressler »

I enjoyed all of his books. Digital fortress is one of my favorites.

Return to “Discuss Authors”