J.K. Rowling or Suzanne Collins?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
lilegophile
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: J.K. Rowling or Suzanne Collins?

Post by lilegophile »

I love Suzanne so much, but I have to give the throne to JK Rowling. She has captured young readers' minds from the beginning . She transitioned the storyline of Harry Potter so well, from children appropriate and onwards. In the Hunger Games, I enjoyed reading the first two, but the mockingjay part went a little dry compared to the other books. Either way, I love both authors, they're incredible writers in our generation. Yes, I am a tribute and a potterhead, but JK just really swept readers' minds into the world of wizardry. And don't get me wrong, Katniss Everdeen is just as equally badass as Hermione Granger.
karyelann

Post by karyelann »

If I were to choose between J.K. Rowling and Suzanne Colins i prefer J.K. Harry Potter is indeed a very well known novel and also a famous movie series. Jo opened the wizarding world and imagine until now, people are still into hp. She is a great author and not to mention she strived so hard just to create a heartbreaking—powerful—magical story.
chensea
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by chensea »

J.K Rowlings still hehehe
EspressoChick

Post by EspressoChick »

What a hard choice! Fun question! I think J.K. Rowling, especially because her books encouraged so many children to read - even to read big books as her series went on and the books got longer. Now she's also become a successful novelist for grown-ups too. But Suzanne Collins is very accomplished too.
pancawind
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pancawind.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by pancawind »

Both are fantastic writers, so I can't really say which I like better for sure. However, I really liked the Harry Potter series.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

This is an interesting question. I have only read the first Harry Potter book, but I have read all of the Hunger Games books. I don't know that I would have wanted to write the Hunger Games books even though I liked the series, because I can only wonder what type of mind frame the author had to be in all the time to write those books. So as far as to which series I would have rather written, it would probably be Harry Potter because those stories are a little less intense than the Hunger Games.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
catherinesomers
Favorite Author: Gillian Flynn
Bookshelf Size: 22
fav_author_id: 1801

Post by catherinesomers »

I love Rowling, I really, really do, I believe the magic that she has and everything about what Harry Potter has become for everyone (from a Disney theme park to weddings to food) but "The Hunger Games" did it for me. I couldn't stop reading, I felt like I put Peeta and Katniss in a bad place and I, me, had to take them out of there by reading further, and no many books made me have such emotion
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

Harry Potter all the way! The series was phenomenal, and even now when I re-read them I am captured by that magical world like it is new. Hunger Games was also a very original and great series - but for me Harry Potter will always win
Jennifer Santos

Post by Jennifer Santos »

Rowling of course. Its not just because I am a big potterhead but also because how JK considered even the tiniest detail possible in her book that we may or may not have noticed but she still wrote it anyway. I love how she had a background for each of her characters.
JanieReads
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janiereads.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by JanieReads »

I understand the reasoning behind comparing these two authors. They are both authors of amazing young adult series' with very heavy and emotional themes and morals. I am a little bit more biased towards the Harry Potter series because I grew up with the books and pre-ordered every book before it was out. I even re-read the series at least twice year. But I do have a soft spot for The Hunger Games series as well. I will always pick Harry Potter, however, because the themes in that book touch me on such a deep level. I believe Harry Potter is one of the reasons I am who I am today. J.K. Rowling forever!
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I find myself torn between the two amazing stories but J. K Rowling will always come first with Harry potter. I still remember the name of the first chapter of the first book " the boy who lived. :tiphat:" :tiphat:
valentinealividsa
Currently Reading: Beautiful Nightmare
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by valentinealividsa »

Definitely J.K Rowling.. Though they are both good authors.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

J .K Rowling is hands down the better story teller.
WestIndie001
Favorite Author: James M. Gabagat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-westindie001.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
fav_author_id: 125024

Post by WestIndie001 »

J.K. Rowling makes memorable characters and knows the formula for good story telling. J.K. Rowling!
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
III_Jasmine_III
Bookshelf Size: 87

Post by III_Jasmine_III »

Queen Jo all the way!

Return to “Discuss Authors”