J.K. Rowling or Suzanne Collins?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: J.K. Rowling or Suzanne Collins?

Post by barb429 »

While I enjoy both authors, I do think that the Harry Potter series is an overall better series. Don't get me wrong, I love the Hunger Games. But I feel as though J.K. Rowling really inspired a lot of people with the Harry Potter universe- it's a world that I would love to be part of! It is full of characters that we not only care about, but we want to be friends with- and it's a series that I love to revisit.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by lolashoes »

J.K Rowling all the way. Her magical world and the characters she created were a big part of my childhood.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
jer_steph82010
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jer-steph82010.html

Post by jer_steph82010 »

J.K. Rowling! All the way!
Eve6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eve6.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Eve6 »

J. K ROWLING all the way!
BookPrincess88
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookprincess88.html

Post by BookPrincess88 »

It would definitely be Harry Potter - just her imagination is incredible every time I read the books they completely blow my mind. How amazing it would be to come up with that world, the fantastic characters and places not to mention all the spells and Hogwarts and everything that goes with that - teachers, the creatures, the moving art work, ghosts and moving staircases!

I mean I love The Hunger Games series but I re-read Harry Potter ALL the time! I absolutely love it and it's also the first series of books that I read at the same time as my whole family, we eagerly anticipated each others thoughts and feelings about every book - we all wanted to be the first person to finish the newest book and it was a real family connection.

I JUST LOVE POTTER <3
Lady Countryrose
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-countryrose.html

Post by Lady Countryrose »

Harry Potter, because you can do almost anything in the world of magic.
bishopml
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bishopml.html

Post by bishopml »

Harry Potter,definitely. Both are very good,but I've loved the Harry Potter series for years,and still find things that I missed before even now. New little details or things to think about.
Szablewskia
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-szablewskia.html

Post by Szablewskia »

I definitely going to end up choosing JK Rolling for this. I enjoyed the Hunger Games movies more than the books so far. Everyone tells me the books are so much more graphic than the movies and I should give them a chance. Fact of the matter is I have tried on a handful of occasions to read the Hunger Games and can't seem to get past the first chapter without being bored. Maybe it gets better after the first couple chapters and I should really get through it, but I just can't seem to get into it like I did with the Harry Potter series. I read the HP series at least a couple dozen times and still could and yet can't get past that first chapter in the Hunger Games.

-- 05 Aug 2016, 18:13 --

I definitely going to end up choosing JK Rolling for this. I enjoyed the Hunger Games movies more than the books so far. Everyone tells me the books are so much more graphic than the movies and I should give them a chance. Fact of the matter is I have tried on a handful of occasions to read the Hunger Games and can't seem to get past the first chapter without being bored. Maybe it gets better after the first couple chapters and I should really get through it, but I just can't seem to get into it like I did with the Harry Potter series. I read the HP series at least a couple dozen times and still could and yet can't get past that first chapter in the Hunger Games.
CSM-writer
Currently Reading: The Soldier
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csm-writer.html
Reading Device: B00IZ1XVAC

Post by CSM-writer »

While I liked reading both, I must say that Harry Potter was more enjoyable reading material while the Hunger Games had more to do with politics and whatnot. Each Harry Potter book I read had me eager to start the next book while I might have only been about halfway through reading the book.

I started reading the Harry Potter series after I graduated from high school to find out what the fuss was all about. From the moment I picked up the first book I was impressed and each book (like the movies) was progressively better than the last. I did the same when it came to the Hunger Games, only it was my niece that recommended them. I read the first book and borrowed the other two from our local library. Surprising as it might be, I have read the first book, I read the second book however, I didn't have the enthusiasm I had while reading the first book, and I have yet to read the final book as I lost interest.

So, my final answer would be J.K. Rowling.
waluhyo
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by waluhyo »

JK Rowling

-- 19 Aug 2016, 09:37 --

JK Rowling
kayjmalik

Post by kayjmalik »

Hunger Games is great, but Harry Potter is absolutely amazing! The world building and the characters and just everything is so much better in Harry Potter than in Hunger Games.
abbiebann
Currently Reading: Girl, Interrupted
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiebann.html

Post by abbiebann »

While Harry Potter is absolutely amazing I absolutely detest J.K. Rowling as a person: she's a downright hypocrite. Yes, she broke many records but I will not be reading her new books as she said she wouldn't add to the series and the release of two new books makes her a greedy liar.
Suzanne Collins also wrote a wonderful trilogy and I found that I built a stronger attachment to the characters and that there were many more plot twists and it was a well presented dystopian future and an enlightening insight into the contrasting effects of a revolution.
glitchberry
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glitchberry.html

Post by glitchberry »

J.K. Rowling definitely. Though that's not to say that Collins isn't a fantastic author, because she is, and the Hunger Games was a brilliant series, but Harry Potter takes it for me. It was my favourite series as a child and still is to this day. It just fills me with so much more emotion and love than the Hunger Games ever could.
karenistah
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
Bookshelf Size: 26
Publishing Contest Votes: 1

Post by karenistah »

They're both wonderful authors, but I love JK ROWLING's works. The way she tell a story is just AWESOME !!!!!
rovet
Currently Reading: We Are the Ants
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rovet.html
Latest Review: "Pale Bricks" by K. L. Stein

Post by rovet »

J.K. Rowling all the way! She is such a wonderful storyteller.
Latest Review: "Pale Bricks" by K. L. Stein

Return to “Discuss Authors”