John Grisham

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Re: John Grisham

Post by Fran »

moonstruck wrote:Grisham's narration is fine, but IMHO his stories are almost like painting different people against the same old background. You know you're in for a lot of courtroom jargon, and a lawyer "unexpectedly" bringing justice to someone, when you pick a John Grisham up.
Absolutely agree, really enjoyed his early books but then, like so many, he figured he had a winning formula and sticks rigidly to it. His books are fine if you want to read the same book over and over but personally I prefer originality and I like my authors to take risks and try something different.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

FNAWrite wrote:.....I stopped reading him after about the fourth book in a row had a scene where he explicitily said 'He rested his rump on the edge of the desk and...' . Rump, behind something. Never just 'He sat on the edge of the desk' or in a chair maybe, but each time he noted the placement of buttocks on the sitting surface (which was usually edge of desk). Hey, I know what sitting means, I don't need the author to explain it in every book.

Look for it, you'll find it.
LOL, I found it. But not in a John Grisham book. I'm reading "Blood & Breakfast - West Midlands Noir" by William Stafford, a humorous detective novel. In it, Stafford digs at many things (including Anglo-American relationships)
and I was amused to read "Brough didn't like the way Stevens perched his buttock on the edge of the table."
Perhaps a parody?
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Patsy

Post by Patsy »

I have read most everything by John Grisham and definitely list him among my favorites. Runaway Jury was my favorite book for a long time.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Patsy wrote:I have read most everything by John Grisham and definitely list him among my favorites. Runaway Jury was my favorite book for a long time.
Gene Hackman was brilliant in the movie version of Runaway Jury.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
fitzml
Favorite Author: Ayn Rand
Favorite Book: The Fountainhead
Currently Reading: The Stranger Beside me by Ann Rule
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fitzml.html
Latest Review: "Maggie Magdalene" by James Byron Huggins
fav_author_id: 2597

Post by fitzml »

I have read most of John Grisham's novels, at least up to The Innocent Man. Though I love most of his books, my all-time favorite is The Street Lawyer . It's about a hotshot lawyer whose life is dramatically changed when his firm is held up by a homeless man.
Latest Review: "Maggie Magdalene" by James Byron Huggins
charlottefreelance

Post by charlottefreelance »

I love Grisham. During my law degree, I got really downhearted about the number of corporate firms that were sniffing around us, and I have to say that The Street Lawyer got me through a really difficult time in working out what I wanted to do with my career.
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

I like Grisham's books, but I've noticed something odd. Some of them I've bought used, others new. The thing is, the less I pay for one of his books, the more I enjoy it.
Enigma
Favorite Author: S.E.Hinton
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading: Breathless by Scott Prussing
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enigma.html
Latest Review: "Broken, 180 Days in the Wilderness of an Urban Middle School" by Ann C. Averill

Post by Enigma »

I used to enjoy reading Grisham, but the novel Painted House put me off his work.
If I didn't write, I'd never sleep.

Up the Irons!!!
Latest Review: "Broken, 180 Days in the Wilderness of an Urban Middle School" by Ann C. Averill
EnjoiSkyler
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enjoiskyler.html

Post by EnjoiSkyler »

He's definitely a quality author. I will admit though after reading about 5 of his books I began to lose interest in his works, mainly because they were so similar with little range (IMO) in the character development.

Favorite book: The Brethren & Ford County Stories

Skyler
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

Not a big fan myself. Once you've read a couple, you know how all the rest are going to end. My SIL loves his books though. I prefer the movie adaptations. LOL!!
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
shortyblue
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shortyblue.html

Post by shortyblue »

I have read several of his books, and I really enjoyed them all. My favorite would probably be A painted House, it's a great book.
reads2much89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reads2much89.html

Post by reads2much89 »

I have only read a few of his and those include The Rainmaker, The Client (MY FAVORITE) and The Runaway Jury.

I would love to read more soon!!
Craigable
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-craigable.html
Latest Review: "How To NOT Get A Job" by Charlene Holsendorff

Post by Craigable »

I don't normally devote reading time to authors who put out book after book in formulaic fashion. So, no, no John Grisham for me.
Latest Review: "How To NOT Get A Job" by Charlene Holsendorff
Namrata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namrata.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Namrata »

I can't get over his book-A time to kill. It was the best. The building up of the plot. The descriptions come alive in the mind. Smacks of being practical and truth. The raw truth.
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by dhomespot »

I like all of his books, my favorite being A Time to Kill. That is the one that had me buying his others.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck

Return to “Discuss Authors”