What is your favorite play by Shakespeare?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Sarah10
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What is your favorite play by Shakespeare?

Post by Sarah10 »

Hamlet, by far.
Cecile01
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecile01.html

Post by Cecile01 »

They are hard to compare but I loved King Lear, mainly because the characters eg Poor Tom are so vivid and rich.
mmsv010929

Post by mmsv010929 »

I would probably say MacBeth just because of the role of Lady MacBeth. It is so interesting to see her character progress throughout the play. A Midsummer Night's Dream would be a close second.
hollynewhouse
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollynewhouse.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by hollynewhouse »

I absolutely love Shakespeare and have ready every single one of his plays. I became fascinated by him in high school reading romeo and juliet then hamlet and that put me onto the rest. I am fascinated by the language and prose he uses that was common at that time.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Tragedy - Hamlet
Comedy - Much Ado About Nothing
Burlesque - Three Wenches with Pasties in a Whitechapel Beer Hall (LOVE the ending, when the wenches say in unison, "We have enough suff'red the slings and arrows of your jibes [aside: Ho ho! And do not laugh because we sag. The cherry blossom of all maidens at last falls, and time makes even the fairest rose petal droop. List! And all that remains are thorny pricks], and anon we thither to the clothesless beaches of fair Mexico, where our naughty bits shall be burnt as a leg of lamb when forgetful Lord and Lady are in the adjoining room watching Benny Hill on the telly." [all exit])
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
KristineNicole
Favorite Author: Emily Bronte
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: The Snow Child By Eowym Ivey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristinenicole.html
fav_author_id: 2494

Post by KristineNicole »

Titus Andronicus.
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

Of the plays you've read, which is your favorite play, and why?

Reading his plays bores me to death; his plays were written to be performed, rather than read like a book. A few years ago when Shakespeare piqued my interest, I got a copy of Hamlet from the library, and the first page nearly put me to sleep. I returned the book and got an audio recording, and I was immediately fascinated by the play. I listened to several other plays, then I bought the entire Arkangel set of Shakespeare's plays on CD, and listened to them repeatedly in my office at work.

My favorite is Julius Caesar, especially the famous "lend me your ears" speech. Part of the reason is that great speech. Another reason is that the language in this play is fairly close to modern English. But the main reason is the conflict Brutus faced in choosing between the love of his great friend and the love of his country.
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
RJohnReves
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjohnreves.html

Post by RJohnReves »

Brutus
On the steps
With a dagger
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

I'm very fond of Richard II. It's tragic and beautiful, and Shakespeare wrote it entirely in verse. It's also got an interesting history: Elizabeth I banned it because she saw too many similarities between her and Richard, but one of her prior supporters tried to use it to stage a coup, which failed. Somehow, Shakespeare and his men were let go, even though if you look at it logically, there's no way they could have not known that the coup was being planned.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I know it's probably cliche, but my favorite has to be Romeo and Juliet because it was my first exposure to the Bard, and because it brings back some funny memories. I read this play in my ninth-grade English class, and I was seated directly in front of the class clown (he was a smart kid, but he had to turn everything into a joke. Or a Star Wars mash-up). Anyway, his jokes and spontaneous re-writing of the play to include Darth Vader actually helped me to remember the lessons.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Kaitlin Lake
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Favorite Book: The Vampire Academy Series
Currently Reading: The City Of Heavenly Fire
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-lake.html
fav_author_id: 782

Post by Kaitlin Lake »

My favorite play by Shakespeare would be Much Ado About Nothing. I loved Claudio and Beatrice. :D :P 8-)
Katherine E Wall
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-e-wall.html
Latest Review: "Vietnam Memoirs: Part 1" by Don Bonsper

Post by Katherine E Wall »

Such a difficult question. The Tempest? Othello? Taming of the Shrew? As I contemplate each play, I think of another that might fit the bill of favorite, so ...

I will default to The Collected Works of William Shakespeare. :D
"We awaken the muse with the spirit of creativity. We entomb it with the ghoul of self-doubt."

That's right, I have a muse. It is spelled MusE. My writing is influenced by the interactions of people I meet - us and ME.
Latest Review: "Vietnam Memoirs: Part 1" by Don Bonsper
Naira

Post by Naira »

I am fond of existentialism, so "Hamlet" - best of all
DATo

Post by DATo »

A Midsummer Night's Dream
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
SarahLuvBooks32

Post by SarahLuvBooks32 »

I liked Twelfth Night. I loved how they made the movie She's the Man from it! Another favorite would be Hamlet though. :D

Return to “Discuss Authors”