What is your favorite play by Shakespeare?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
JennaFay
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Hogfather
Currently Reading: Diplomacy of Wolves
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennafay.html
fav_author_id: 2791

Re: What is your favorite play by Shakespeare?

Post by JennaFay »

Much Ado About Nothing is my favorite of the comedies. " I was born to speak all mirth and no matter" has become my motto and disclaimer, and Beatrice and Benedict are simply the best romantic couple in the canon. As for tragedies, I love King Lear. Lear himself is such a fantastic character - noble and pathetic, pompous and arrogant, but by the end of it, you feel for him so badly. There are so many great characters - almost everyone gets something really juicy to sink their teeth into. It's also filled with very strong imagery, Lear's speech in the storm basically IS the storm. I also love Titus Andronicus, although that one I consider a guilty pleasure. It's not his best writing but it's so gory, it's like Shakespeare's Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and I love it. I also have to give a shout out to Coriolanus - although it's mostly because his mother is awesome. She has some seriously kick-butt speeches.
EmilyAnnabeth
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyannabeth.html

Post by EmilyAnnabeth »

I first must admit that I haven't gone through most of his works. The works that are known to me are partially through the actual books, but also through film and stage.

My favorite is one that I have read and seen on t.v.: Midsummer Night's Dream. I think I am probably in the minority.

I like it's whimsy and fantasy. I don't even have any literary insights or devices to purport, I just like it.
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

Quite a few people liking Titus Andronicus. I'm so glad. I forgot about that one, but it's a fantastic play. I'll add that one to my list too! :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
craftshley
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-craftshley.html
Latest Review: "Shoulda Woulda Coulda" by Chris Johnston

Post by craftshley »

My favorite play by Shakespeare is Much Ado About Nothing and also Hamlet.
Latest Review: "Shoulda Woulda Coulda" by Chris Johnston
SteelyDan

Post by SteelyDan »

I love all of the character depth in Hamlet; it makes for an intriguing watch every time I see it again. Of the comedies I think I like Twelfth Night the most due to the farcical scenes it presents though A Midsummer Night's Dream is worth it for the workman's play alone.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

ryanj1 wrote:Quite a few people liking Titus Andronicus. I'm so glad. I forgot about that one, but it's a fantastic play. I'll add that one to my list too! :)
I've never even heard of this one! Maybe if I can find free versions of them for kindle, I will try to force myself to read some. I bet they will be more enjoyable now that my brain is more developed since my adolescent days (of like, two weeks ago)
Sweet_Lullaby
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-lullaby.html
Latest Review: "The Key-Stone of the Bridge" by Craig Meggy

Post by Sweet_Lullaby »

All time favorite is romeo and Juliet. Its beautiful!
Latest Review: "The Key-Stone of the Bridge" by Craig Meggy
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Probably Henry V - at any rate, I know chunks of it by heart. On the comedy side - Midsummer Night's Dream, his funniest, lightest-hearted, and most child-friendly play. I saw a brilliant, hilarious performance of it at the Globe in London a few years ago. It was an evening performance, so there weren't many kids, but there was boy of about 10 there with his parents, groundlings next to the stage, and he was killing himslef laughing, especially during the play within the play, presented by the mechanicals, which is usually, and was on this occasion, made the vehicle for plenty of slapstick.

-- 25 Nov 2014, 09:38 --
ALynnPowers wrote:
ryanj1 wrote:Quite a few people liking Titus Andronicus. I'm so glad. I forgot about that one, but it's a fantastic play. I'll add that one to my list too! :)
I've never even heard of this one! Maybe if I can find free versions of them for kindle, I will try to force myself to read some. I bet they will be more enjoyable now that my brain is more developed since my adolescent days (of like, two weeks ago)
You should know in advance that it's the Bard's most violent play, featuring cannibalism, hands being chopped off and tongue cut out, and heaven knows what else. It's the Elizabethan precursor to the video nasty. You have been warned!
MikeBrightman

Post by MikeBrightman »

If played by the Royal Shakespeare Co at Stratford on Avon - any of the great geniuses works. But by myself to read - and I do at times = Tweflth Night. The first ever I read and played in at school and the first Shakespeare play I saw at The Bristol Old vic. Our teacher took us back stage because she knew the cast - we had really amazingly interesting and eccentric teachers at my boarding school and Mrs MacDonald was one of the best (even married to a retired racing driver which to us gooky adolescents was just wonderful - he was a really nice guy too.) Ah, memories - might just read it again after Madhur Jaffrey's Climbing The Mango Trees.
Robee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robee.html

Post by Robee »

I'm not a big fan of Shakespeare's works mostly because they are too gloomy for me but I do enjoy 'A Midsummer's Night Dream'. I love the setting and the story. Quite tantalizing and cheery. :)
MikeBrightman

Post by MikeBrightman »

Oh Rebee I know what you mean but do give The Tempest, Much Ado About Nothing, Comedy of Errorrs and my favourite above Twelfth Night - but no stress - reading should be a joy not a "Drag!" I love comedy - what's your favourite humorous Book - getting The Bilko DVDs for Christmas - sorry if before your time - one of the greatest (and that's saying a very great deal) comics from America of all time!
Last edited by gali on 15 Dec 2014, 08:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Name of book deleted for violation of site rules
lincolnp

Post by lincolnp »

I would have to say that my favorite is Hamlet followed by Romeo and Juliet and A Midsummer Night's Dream
cmp librarian
Favorite Author: Karren Hancock
Favorite Book: The Bible
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cmp-librarian.html
Latest Review: "My Beautiful Life" by Susie Barry

Post by cmp librarian »

Hands down my favorite Shakespeare play is - Much Ado About Nothing. And I love the movie version Emma Thompson and Denzel Washington. Has anyone seen that one? It's beautifully done.

My second favorite play would be a toss up between Midsummer Nights Dream or Twelfth Night those are also both very good.

I don't like MacBeth, Hamlet, Julius Caesar, or King Lear though.... too much tragedy and death. I like his comedies better.

A couple of you mentioned the Merchant. I haven't' heard of that one. What's it about?
Latest Review: "My Beautiful Life" by Susie Barry
Aspen_Reads
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice+ The Notebook
Currently Reading: too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspen-reads.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Aspen_Reads »

Romeo and Juliet. This is such a sweet story, and I love how romantic they both are, especially Romeo-I love all aspects of it!
"I was born with a reading list I will never finish." -Maud Casey
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

I haven't read as much Shakespeare as I should, but I love A Midsummer Night's Dream.
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Return to “Discuss Authors”