What is your favorite play by Shakespeare?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Re: What is your favorite play by Shakespeare?

Post by DakotaA »

My favs are The Taming of the Shrew and A Midsummer's Night Dream, although both Hamlet and Macbeth are worthy options.

If anybody hasn't had the pleasure of watching The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged) it is free to watch on YouTube and is a fabulous (and hilarious) play to Shakespeare lovers! The other great one to watch for anybody who has read Hamlet is the 1990's film Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
dreamthewilderness
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamthewilderness.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by dreamthewilderness »

Oooh, it's a hard tie between Macbeth and Othello. I couldn't say what makes them stand out for me other than the fact that I've picked them both to shreds, finding every tidbit of meaning possible.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

Oh man, which Shakespeare play don't I like? Granted, I haven't read them all, but I adore A Midsummer Night's Dream, Hamlet, Twelfth Night, Much Ado About Nothing, and of course Romeo and Juliet. They all have such great components and interesting characters. I've been meaning to read Macbeth and Othello, they're always highly recommended.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

I love Shakespeare’s comedies, especially Twelfth Night! It is so clever and ahead of its time. My high school did a post-apocalyptic version of it that was incredibly entertaining
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

My favorite play is Mid summer night's dream because I love good comedy. But, I also love hamlet , when it comes to tragedies.
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

I love almost all of Shakespeares plays that I have read, but my favourites are definitely Macbeth and Othello. I love how the use of manipulation is portrayed and how it can go so badly for the manipulator in Macbeth. I find I love the storyline in Othello, but I found it so thrillingly frustrating that he did not believe his wife. I guess I just love the power plays and machinations in these plays the best.
ljfricker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ljfricker.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by ljfricker »

I've read almost all of Shakespeare's plays, and most of his poetry too. But there are a few I just couldn't force myself to finish, like Titus Andronicus :snooty: It just dragged too much for me. I'm not a fan of tragic Elizabethan/Jacobean plays (I think reading The Duchess of Malfi by Webster for A Level just killed by ability to appreciate a good tragedy!), but enjoy a few of Shakespeare's but definitely prefer to watch rather than read his historical plays. His comedies, on the other hand, I can watch or read happily and enjoy almost all of them. My absolute favourite though is the shortest, Comedy of Errors. It is genuinely funny and one that I can share with people who aren't Shakespearean fans because it is easy to understand. :tiphat: I wish I got to see more Shakespearean plays being performed, but sadly I live out in the country and we don't get enough culture here! :oops: lol
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I think I've read Macbeth at least three times, but lately Titus Andronicus has been giving it a run for its money. There's so much that happens in that play and it has what's possibly my favourite exchange of all time. Also, I think Aaron is the perfect villain and no one else I've seen in Shakespeare's works comes close.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

I really liked Anthony and Cleopatra and I was severely upset when I lost my only copy. It was one of the easier plays to get through. I really enjoyed the story and the characters.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

Romeo and Juliet. I also like romance books, so go figure.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

King Lear or Macbeth for me. Never really got his comedies, though I appreciate that they can be quite funny when you see them performed, as opposed to just reading them.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

My favorite is The Merchant of Venice.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

I like a Midsummer's Night Dream but my favorite would be Romeo and Juliet.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Only1Cola
Currently Reading: The Age of Innocence
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-only1cola.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Only1Cola »

Much Ado About Nothing is an amazingly witty play and really fun to read. Of course, I also enjoy the popular Shakespeare plays like Romeo & Juliet, Midsummer Nights Dream and also some of his sonnets.
Paradise37
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Paradise37 »

The themes that were portrayed in Othello allows for some very deep literature analysis and the topics in it can be fun to debate with others as it was a book that I read in a literature class and we spent multiple weeks discussing it. I've read very few plays by Shakespeare, but out of what I have read Othello was my favorite as I feel that the idea of some of his other more popular plays have been ruined by constant use of them in Hollywood.

Return to “Discuss Authors”