Anne Tyler

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Jenn+books
Favorite Author: Anne Tyler
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Always a Shakespeare
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenn-books.html
fav_author_id: 6534

Anne Tyler

Post by Jenn+books »

What's your favorite Anne Tyler book?

I'm torn between several of her books, including Ladder of Years, Noah's Compass, and Saint Maybe, though most of her others aren't far behind. I like the way her books engage with other books and literary tradition, but do so in a way that doesn't seem forced or contrived. Her characters, for the most part, seem so real and possible. Her endings aren't always happy or expected (more like real life), but neither are they wholly tragic or despairing. I'm reading Celestial Navigation right now--waiting anxiously to see if Jeremy and Mary will be able to overcome themselves and come back together. I like the way Tyler adapts Gothic and fairy tale themes to the normal, ordinary people in this book. She has also dealt with Shakespearean characters and themes (Ladder of Years and Noah's Compass, as two examples). And she does it all in very accessible and engrossing stories. She is currently my favorite author. What do you think?
Cali
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cali.html

Post by Cali »

I haven't read any of her books for many years; looks like Saint Maybe might be the last I read although back when that came out she was one of my favourite authors ... just do some catching up and then I can better answer your question :)
"Life is what we call that period of time that interrupts our reading" - unknown

“When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus
Jenn+books
Favorite Author: Anne Tyler
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Always a Shakespeare
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenn-books.html
fav_author_id: 6534

Post by Jenn+books »

Hi Cali,
She's written some pretty good ones recently. Some of my favorites are Breathing Lessons (won the Pulitzer prize for Tyler, though critics said it wasn't her best), The Accidental Tourist, The Amateur Marriage, and Noah's Compass. Something about her books--I can read them very quickly. Her writing style is lucid, not convoluted, but she somehow packs a lot of detail into not many words. It usually only takes me a couple of days to get through one of her books--and an enjoyable couple of days they are too!
Cali
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cali.html

Post by Cali »

Thanks ... I will hunt down some of the more recent ones she has written :)
"Life is what we call that period of time that interrupts our reading" - unknown

“When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus
thsavage2
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thsavage2.html
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday

Post by thsavage2 »

I read her Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant in high school. It was a very interesting character study, but not a very compelling narrative. It was quite useful for an essay or two I had to write about characters. Their family is a bit weird (even dark and twisty, at times) and this novel actually reminds me a lot of We Were the Mulvaneys, although they are not all that similar except they are both warped-family-based dramas.
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday
7Shane6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-7shane6.html

Post by 7Shane6 »

One of the best authors of the modern era, and absolutely at the top of nineteen eighties writers.
allesha
Favorite Author: Scott Westerfeld
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allesha.html
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
fav_author_id: 3521

Post by allesha »

My favorite is Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant but also really enjoyed Breathing Lessons.
Latest Review: "Buenos Dias Lucy London" by Iza MacLeod
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

And Accidental Tourist...

7shane6.............DITTO!
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant is the first Anne Tyler book I ever read, and it's still one of my favorites. I wasn't too impressed by some of her more recent books, such as The Beginner's Goodbye and A Spool of Blue Thread. And Vinegar Girl was horrible! But several of her earlier works are ones that I enjoy rereading from time to time, including Saint Maybe, The Clock Winder, and A Patchwork Planet. I love her quirky, dysfuctional characters, because they remind me of a lot of people I know.

Return to “Discuss Authors”