Who was the first author you had to read "everything" by?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Re: Who was the first author you had to read "everything" by?

Post by uyky »

I think it was Enid Blyton. Or maybe Thomas Brezina, although now that I'm older I don't like what he writes.
Pmoser
Currently Reading: The Colonels
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Pmoser »

For me, it was Grisham. The first Grisham book I read was The Firm. After that, I was hooked. Unfortunately, I have not read his two most recent books, but I do own them. I'm stuck in a series by W.E.B. Griffin right now. I think I will pick up one of the latest Grisham books once I finish this series. I wish I had more time to read!
Lovewreading89
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 226
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovewreading89.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Lovewreading89 »

The first author I read everything by was Laura ingalls wilder. I want to read pioneer girl about Laura's life.
shaylaa
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by shaylaa »

As a child: The Babysitter's Club
I wanted to be just like them. They were so responsible AND fun!

As an adult: Jodi Picoult
I love the moral challenge that tugs at my heart, mind, and soul all at the same time. Her books were the first books I started to give my husband a play-by-play of what I was reading. Who knows if he was really listening, because I was so engrossed in the morality of the story line.
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

I overdosed on Penelope Douglas books and Suzanne Wright's for a minute, but then Dean Koontz and J.R. Ward were my first every-read.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

My first one was (and still is) Stephen King. I always loved scary books and things to keep you up at night. I couldn't get enough of them. In an attempt to scare me out of them, my mom let me read her copy of Dream Catcher by Stephen King at age 10. It didn't scare me away from them, just gave me an author to latch onto and want to read them all. I ended up with a large collection of his novels after that.
Carmel Bachelor
Currently Reading: Their Eyes were watching God
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carmel-bachelor.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Carmel Bachelor »

That's a tough one...probably Holly Black, I absolutely fell in love Tithe, and basically had to read everything she's ever written! The only other author that I was addicted to I think, was Kelley Armstrong, which was difficult because she's written A LOT of books! :techie-studyingbrown:
There is no friend as loyal as a book - Ernest Hemingway
Mekkinism
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mekkinism.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Mekkinism »

It would absolutely have to be Neil Gaiman for me. I was first given Stardust by an aunt at probably 11 or 12 years old, and from there devoured everything of his. He's the master of writing these dark adult fairytales. Neverwhere is probably my favorite of his, but pretty much everything he touches turns to gold.
HogSandwich
Favorite Author: China Mieville
Currently Reading: Persuasion
Bookshelf Size: 26
fav_author_id: 6004

Post by HogSandwich »

As a teen it was Mercedes Lackey (I cried hysterically at the end of the Last Herald-Mage). In recent times, it's China Mieville. Though I'm intentionally spacing myself so I don't burn through everything in a few months.
RicReviews

Post by RicReviews »

Enid Blyton – just love her books.:)
buckbest1

Post by buckbest1 »

The first author that I had to read EVERYTHING written by, was Nelson Demille. I had just read Charm School as a young adult and was hooked. I went to the used book stores in town and bought every older book that he had written. Somehow during this search, I got directed to the spy/cop/super human character of Remo Williams (?) and nearly never read another Demille book. Thankfully, I discovered Gold Coast, and the Panther and since then have read every Demille book, after my father reads them, as I get all my books second-hand from my dad, who buys them the second they come out in paperback!
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

For quite a while that was Anne Rice. I would devour her books in days with 2-3 hours of sleep to take me through. I had to have every single book released and I regret nothing :lol2:
Polgesteirg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-polgesteirg.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Polgesteirg »

Stephen King. I loved the Harry Potter series but other J.K. Rowling's works don't really interest me.
Stephen King is a genius at storytelling.
sbland1123

Post by sbland1123 »

Stephen King! I am working my way through his novels in order. Its taking me awhile because I've reread a few of them already. I've read through almost all of his short story collections. My favorite work by him is "1922".

I also have a goal of reading everything by Toni Morrison. I read Beloved in high school and have read it once a year since then. Her storytelling is top notch.
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

I think I found the Harry Potter series slightly before stumbling upon Christopher Moore, so I think Rowling wins this round.

Return to “Discuss Authors”