Who was the first author you had to read "everything" by?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Leo1987kip
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Who was the first author you had to read "everything" by?

Post by Leo1987kip »

For me its David Baildacci he write investigative series Like John Puller. what is amazing about him is the way he fix real military operation and command in his books.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Well it was class four and the author was Enid Blyton. I just had to read everything written by her.
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Harley-Panda »

For me, it was probably J. K. Rowling and the Harry Potter series. The first one came out when I was only 3, so it wasn't until the 3rd book that my mum began to buy and read them with me. As we got through the first few quickly, by the time book 4 came out we had got through the first 3. I was always anticipating the next book and was so excited whenever a new one was announced.

Another author I loved as a child was Lemony Snicket and the Series of Unfortunate Events books. I got the first 4 books from the local library but they didn't have the rest of the series, and I remember hinting to my mum for months that I would love the set for Christmas (which luckily I did get) because I couldn't stop at book 4, I had to read them all!

Also, I had read every Jacqueline Wilson book as a child, but since the age of around 16, I haven't read any of her new books, so I can't say I've read everything of hers anymore!
I go to seek a Great Perhaps
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Kurt Vonnegut. I found a copy of my dad's "Breakfast of Champions" and was hooked. So different and funny. I would gather up my money and head to the bookstore or flea markets to find the next book.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

The Hary Potter series. And then the Eragon ones. Kind off at the same time.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
Patox
Currently Reading: Death Must Go On!
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Patox »

Barbara Kimenye.She wrote the famous Mosses series of books.
acupofsubtletea
Currently Reading: A Study in Charlotte
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acupofsubtletea.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by acupofsubtletea »

Sarah Dessen! I’d mostly read mysteries and fantasy novels in my early teens and she was my kind of my first taste of sort of romantic YA novels. I read one and then immediately read as many of her other books as I could get my hands on.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

Nalini Singh. The only books of hers that I have not read are the ones she hasn't published yet.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

I guess Carolyn Keene and Franklin W. Dixon would count. I was addicted to the Nancy Drew and Hardy Brothers series in elementary school through junior high!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
GretchenLee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gretchenlee.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by GretchenLee »

When I was a kid, my kindergarten teacher read us all of the Junie B. Jones books. I was so obsessed with them that when I got a pet rabbit in second grade, I named her "Junie Bunny Jones"
In middle school, I started reading the Percy Jackson series, and since then I have all of Rick Riordan's books--I insist on buying all of his books, even though I haven't had the time to read the latest three. They are on my bookshelf waiting!
Sometime in High School, I went through a cheesy romance phase, so I have all of Sarah Dessen's novels on my bookshelf, as well. Currently, I am making my way through all of Sarah J. Maas's books.
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

Malcolm Gladwell! I love the way he makes trivial things sound so interesting and intellectual.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
Philip LoPresti
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Sparrow
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-lopresti.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Philip LoPresti »

I read Isaac Asimov's classic short story, Nightfall, when I was in middle school and it blew my pre-pubescent mind. At that point, I was already a big sci-fi fan but I had no idea sci-fi could be as smart as that that story is. It made me an instant fan. So I sought out other stories from Asimov and found a volume of some of his short robot stories. Those were all exciting, smart and excellent as well, so I started reading every Asimov story I could get my hands on. I had to read all of his work. Little did I know that the man was insanely prolific, and it will probably take another 30 years to read all of it. But I continue to love his work and I will get through it all eventually. I hope.
VandaQ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vandaq.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by VandaQ »

Interesting to see what other people's authors are! Mine was Amelie Nothomb. I remember receiving this book from my French teacher as a prize at the end of the year back when I was in high school. It was Sulphuric Acid - I read it all in one day, couldn't put it down. Then I started reading everything I could get my hands on from Nothomb, both online and hard copy. :) I still have a few things to get through from her very prolific collection, but I've never been disappointed by any book I read from her. I love that she likes to experiment with themes and style and form - it really inspired me in my own writing. She approaches genres of all sorts, from auto-biography type books to thriller, mystery and crime. And all of them have this quirky feeling to them. Some of them are outright bizarre! But she's an amazing author and whenever I don't have anything to read, she's my go to.
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

Several authors in fact. They were Christine Feehan, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Harper Lee and J.R.R.Tolkien. I'm far from finishing all of Tolkien's works though.
Gemma_15
Currently Reading: The Five People You Meet in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemma-15.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by Gemma_15 »

The first author that I just had to have every book they wrote was Sarah Dessen. Her stories were so relatable and powerful to me when I was younger. I don't follow her works much anymore, but she started me off on following authors as opposed to series only.

Return to “Discuss Authors”