L.M. Montgomery

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Ealasaid
Favorite Author: Unfair To Ask That
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealasaid.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Re: L.M. Montgomery

Post by Ealasaid »

I have not read Kilmeny of the Orchard, but I hope to soon.
"I dwell in Possibility" - Emily Dickinson
TheMusicalMuse
Favorite Author: Victor Hugo
Currently Reading: The Druid's Curse
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themusicalmuse.html
Latest Review: "Trespassers" by Todd and Tim Wynn
fav_author_id: 3006

Post by TheMusicalMuse »

So glad to find other L.M. Montgomery fans out there! Obviously, the Anne of Green Gables series is wonderful. When I was a pre-teen and young teenager, though, I read every book of hers that I could get my hands on. I especially liked "Emily of New Moon" and "A Tangled Web". For some reason, I had a streak of good luck finding her books at garage sales one summer. I also had a biography of her that I read three or four times. I have no idea where all of those books went, though.

Oh, as I scrolled through her books on Goodreads, I remembered "Magic for Marigold"...another favorite.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Latest Review: "Trespassers" by Todd and Tim Wynn
cathie
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cathie.html

Post by cathie »

Emily of New Moon is my favourite series! I always liked the slightly darker undercurrents.

'The Blue Castle' is another dear favourite of mine.
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon »

My absolute favorite was Blue Castle. I wasn't very fond of the Emily of the New Moon but I did enjoy the antics of Anne and her children in the the Anne of Green Gables series.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
RachelCanter
Currently Reading: Race and Culture
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelcanter.html

Post by RachelCanter »

For those who don't know, L.M. Montgomery was a canadian author who is most famous for writing the Anne of Green Gables series. She is often categorized as a children's author, and in general she has not been considered to be one of the great authors of English (as in language, not as in nation) literature. However, I personally find her work to be similar to, and on par with, that of Louisa May Alcott. I wonder if fellow fans of Montgomery would agree with me that she has not received the critical acclaim she deserves?
kbrook1981
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kbrook1981.html

Post by kbrook1981 »

I know this is cliché, but I love the whole Anne series. I introduced my daughter to the books a few years ago and she fell in love as well. Actually, the other day I was being dramatic, as I often am, and my daughter said, "That was a very Anne of Green Gables-like proclamation."
rosec

Post by rosec »

Liked Anne of Green Gables but never agreed with the romantic pairings of either Anne or Diana.
Fred Wright was such a bore, I spent ages trying to work out what attracted Diana Barry and never could.

I absolutely dreaded the Anne & Gilbert Blythe pairing for years, lived in fear of it until I read Anne Of The Island and the pairing with Roy Gardiner put it out of my mind. Then when Anne turned Gardiner down I knew my worst fears would be confirmed.
Lost all interest in the Anne series after that.
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Post by Harmony Hills »

I'm a huge fan and she's my favorite! Anne of Green Gables is wonderful and Gilbert <3 gosh i can feel his pain </3 I love Montgomery!
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

"Anne of Green Gables" is unbeatable, such an amazing story with a strong and quirky heroine. I first read it in the 5th grade and I remember loving Anne and couldn't wait to read the rest of the series.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I love her Anne of Green Gables series, and I was unaware that she had written other stuff also. I will have to find some and add it to my ever growing, and growing, and growing list of books to be read.
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I love the Anne series (including the later ones, with a special fondness for Rilla of Ingleside) but also have a weakness for Jane of Lantern Hill.
Lenny1886
Currently Reading: Sense and Sensibility
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lenny1886.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Lenny1886 »

Montgomery is my all time favourite author! I had the quite the obsession when I was younger. I read and extremely good biography of her—The Gift of Wings—by the same person who edited her personal journals (which I have also read some of but not all). My goal is to collect first editions of her books and so far I have a first edition of Emily's Quest. I loved the Anne series, my favourites being Anne of the Island, Anne's House of Dreams, and Rilla of Ingleside I also really liked A Tangled Web. I could just go on and on forever!

Return to “Discuss Authors”