Ayn Rand

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Job419
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Ayn Rand

Post by Job419 »

I keep meaning to read The Catcher in the Rye again, but I hated it so much in HS it's hard. :)
ALRyder
Currently Reading: The Last Stormlord by Glenda Larke
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alryder.html
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires

Post by ALRyder »

I made the mistake of trying to read as many classic books as possible in the 8th grade. While I loved some of them ( Fahrenheit 451, 1984, Lord of the Flies), there are other I wasn't so fond of and I know I should probably reread them to see if my opinions change now that I'm older (To Kill a Mockingbird and There Eyes Were Watching God)
Latest Review: "Diet Enlightenment" by Rachel L. Pires
Job419

Post by Job419 »

Lord of the Flies is one that I DON'T want to read again....it creeped me out!
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Folks, can we please keep to the topic title.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
bibliomaniac_23

Post by bibliomaniac_23 »

I have read Fountainhead and found it to be inspiring. To be pompous, extremist and downright selfish is the core of her philosophy. Yet Fountainhead does encourage you to shun mediocrity in all form, to be the best at what you do and to expect the highest from those around you. Ayn Rand may be too harsh and uncouth for those who expect lyricism and flowery prose from female writers, but at the end of it all, Ayn Rand does what she loves best, to hell with all the critics! Just like Edward Roark, the Fountainhead protagonist.
Job419

Post by Job419 »

"To be pompous, extremist and downright selfish is the core of her philosophy."

The Fountainhead is one of my favorite books, and I have never had that impression from reading it.
npandit
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-npandit.html
Latest Review: "Travel Instincts" by James C. Jensen

Post by npandit »

Job419 wrote:"To be pompous, extremist and downright selfish is the core of her philosophy."

The Fountainhead is one of my favorite books, and I have never had that impression from reading it.
Yeah, me neither.

She advocates being 'selfish'; but she defines selfish as simply "acting in one own's interest". Everyone acts in their own interest, we just have a tendency to pretend that we don't, and I found it refreshing that she preferred to call a spade a spade.
Job419

Post by Job419 »

npandit wrote: She advocates being 'selfish'; but she defines selfish as simply "acting in one own's interest". Everyone acts in their own interest, we just have a tendency to pretend that we don't, and I found it refreshing that she preferred to call a spade a spade.
Right, and that honesty leads to better interactions with others and a more harmonious society.
AMP76
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: Consilience
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amp76.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by AMP76 »

I think that is basic human nature, acting in one's own interest, survival of the fittest. In biological terms it makes sense. In societal terms, we wish for altruism and commaderie. All Rand has done is expose her characters as what they really are, biological beings playing at society. Or having society forced upon them. Ayn Rand doesn't sugar coat.
Adventure...one part stupidty plus two parts perseverence....yeah, that's me!
Latest Review: "The Secret Dead" by SW Fairbrother
bibliomaniac_23

I personally feel, not only are her protagonists extreme and one-dimensional, they are also inhuman in a way. They do not seem to have any moments of doubt or weakness, indeed, Roark is almost infallible. I couldn't accept the justification of blowing up the housing society for the poor, just because it did not satisy Roark's artistic whims. If we all as a society, go around destroying things that are not 'perfect', there would be absolutely nothing left in this world. I just wish Rand would have made Roark a little less God-like and a little more human, with all the faults, weaknesses and struggles that define who we are.
npandit

Post by npandit »

bibliomaniac_23 wrote:I personally feel, not only are her protagonists extreme and one-dimensional, they are also inhuman in a way. They do not seem to have any moments of doubt or weakness, indeed, Roark is almost infallible. I couldn't accept the justification of blowing up the housing society for the poor, just because it did not satisy Roark's artistic whims. If we all as a society, go around destroying things that are not 'perfect', there would be absolutely nothing left in this world. I just wish Rand would have made Roark a little less God-like and a little more human, with all the faults, weaknesses and struggles that define who we are.
This is a good point, but I think the point of her novel was not to imitate real life, but rather to create a character who in her mind was a 'superhero'--or the 'ideal' person, and that inadvertently forces them to be written as extreme and infallible.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

npandit wrote:
bibliomaniac_23 wrote:I personally feel, not only are her protagonists extreme and one-dimensional, they are also inhuman in a way. They do not seem to have any moments of doubt or weakness, indeed, Roark is almost infallible. I couldn't accept the justification of blowing up the housing society for the poor, just because it did not satisy Roark's artistic whims. If we all as a society, go around destroying things that are not 'perfect', there would be absolutely nothing left in this world. I just wish Rand would have made Roark a little less God-like and a little more human, with all the faults, weaknesses and struggles that define who we are.
This is a good point, but I think the point of her novel was not to imitate real life, but rather to create a character who in her mind was a 'superhero'--or the 'ideal' person, and that inadvertently forces them to be written as extreme and infallible.
@npandit
I agree - Anyway wasn't the point that he was destroying mediocrity in pursuit of perfection?
It's rather ironic though to suggest Rand created a "God-like" creature, I'm sure she would smile at that :)
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Job419

Post by Job419 »

Fran wrote: I agree - Anyway wasn't the point that he was destroying mediocrity in pursuit of perfection?
It's rather ironic though to suggest Rand created a "God-like" creature, I'm sure she would smile at that :)
Yes, that and the fact that Roark's contract had been broken. No one has any right to someone else's work without their consent. Admittedly Roark went to extremes to prove this point, but like @npandit said, this is superhero stuff! Definitely not God-like, very human, but humanity perfected.
npandit

Post by npandit »

Fran wrote:
@npandit
I agree - Anyway wasn't the point that he was destroying mediocrity in pursuit of perfection?
Haha--I didn't even catch that; very true. :-)
bibliomaniac_23

Yes I agree to the personification of Roark as a superhero! It fits the bill. Especially since he doesn't have any background information about family or his birth heritage! He did seem to have fallen from the sky in true superhuman fashion!

Return to “Discuss Authors”