Ayn Rand

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Re: Ayn Rand

Post by DennisK »

Snrains13 wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 10:23 I'm actually a fan of Ayn Rand and I'm kind of disappointed to see so many people who don't care for her. She writes stories that promote so many different, and sometimes very important, messages in very creative ways. Some of the writing can be hard to read for those who aren't used to it, but I think it's worth it.
...so true, Snrains13. I can think of other important literature that requires effort to read, but to persevere through those works can yield personal treasures that can more than justify the effort. Admittedly, there are times when all I want, is to be entertained. Light reading is what I will seek, but there are times when I feel the need to personally grow. That is when I reach for something more serious. Ayn Rand is among the more serious writers. I think the reason she invokes such a polarized opinion of her works is because her message is political. Here in the U.S., we are currently struggling with apposing political philosophies that leave some of us stiff-lipped and lead-footed - unable to leave our own perspectives. I agree, that is disappointing.
:tiphat:
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

I couldn’t stand Atlas Shrugged. I don’t remember how far I got as I was listening to the audio version but it was not my cup of tea at all. I do remember listening to the forward and, wow, what a sense of deadness. It was so sad.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

I was a huge fan of Ayn Rand when I was young and religiously followed her philosophy of objectivism after reading The Fountain Head. However, I was disappointed when I came to know she committed suicide.
DennisK

Post by DennisK »

Jeyasivananth wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 06:37 I was a huge fan of Ayn Rand when I was young and religiously followed her philosophy of objectivism after reading The Fountain Head. However, I was disappointed when I came to know she committed suicide.
I wasn't aware that she committed suicide. According to Wikipedia, she died of heart failure – she also had cancer (heavy smoker). She was in her seventy's.
Many artists suffered from personal failures – for instance, consider Vincent van Gogh: ...crazier than a pet loon, but look what he gave us. Failure is a part of the human price. We are all flawed. What gets to me, sometimes, is that opposing views always seem to counter a message or insight by mucking around in personal flaws hoping to invalidate the message - “kill the messenger” mentality. Ayn Rand had a message, and she used an art form to express it. To counter the message by dragging out, or inventing personal problems is a duplicitous and cowardly response. Jeyasivananth, if you enjoyed Rand's works, don't let sanctimony dissuade you. :angry-tappingfoot:
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

DennisK wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 22:52
Jeyasivananth wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 06:37 I was a huge fan of Ayn Rand when I was young and religiously followed her philosophy of objectivism after reading The Fountain Head. However, I was disappointed when I came to know she committed suicide.
I wasn't aware that she committed suicide. According to Wikipedia, she died of heart failure – she also had cancer (heavy smoker). She was in her seventy's.
Many artists suffered from personal failures – for instance, consider Vincent van Gogh: ...crazier than a pet loon, but look what he gave us. Failure is a part of the human price. We are all flawed. What gets to me, sometimes, is that opposing views always seem to counter a message or insight by mucking around in personal flaws hoping to invalidate the message - “kill the messenger” mentality. Ayn Rand had a message, and she used an art form to express it. To counter the message by dragging out, or inventing personal problems is a duplicitous and cowardly response. Jeyasivananth, if you enjoyed Rand's works, don't let sanctimony dissuade you. :angry-tappingfoot:
Yes, I too checked and it says cardiovascular disease. I don't remember how I got that in my mind. I discuss Ayn Rand with a number of people must have from it from someone. Though I was wrongly disappointed I always adored her. Such were the power of her words and thoughts. Having said that, I completely agree with you. We should not harp on the slips rather relish the greatness of these minds.
DennisK

Post by DennisK »

[/quote]
We should not harp on the slips rather relish the greatness of these minds.
[/quote]

Amen! :tiphat:
gaygothcousin
Currently Reading: The Nearest Exit May Be Behind You
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaygothcousin.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by gaygothcousin »

Atlas Shrugged is genuinely just pretentious. The woman acts as if she understands complex economic systems and philosophies, but approaches all of them with a pure lack of compassion. This lack of basic decency behind her ideas makes her hard for me to respect or appreciate much.

Return to “Discuss Authors”