Nora Roberts which do you prefer?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
clmartz
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clmartz.html

Re: Nora Roberts which do you prefer?

Post by clmartz »

I've never read any Nora Roberts, honestly. I thought it was all romance books that she wrote, but slowly I've started seeing more of her work that doesn't fit in with that genre.

I have a copy of her newest, "The Collector", waiting to be devoured.
Aussie-Em

Post by Aussie-Em »

The In Death books are great but her romance novels set in amazing places with characters I want to be friends with make them the winner for me.
LarryWilto

Post by LarryWilto »

Does it matter? Aren't they all really the same? I have a friend who just rereads them; any of them.
Leannek

Post by Leannek »

Nora Roberts was the first adult romance author that I read. The McGregors still hold a special place in my romantic heart. Just thinking about that series makes me want to read it all over again :). Wish i could somehow get all of her books from paperback to my Kindle without having to buy the whole series again...
Sugarbear

Post by Sugarbear »

I love the murder mysteries and her romances. I don't care for the paranormal stuff. But I don't like paranormal by any author.
DavidsonA_21

Post by DavidsonA_21 »

Her J.D. Robb "In Death" novels are great.. I can't say enough about them. You get to see the development of the relationship between Eve and the people she loves, especially Roarke. There are some tough parts dealing with abuse, murder, insanity and rape which she doesn't flinch from. Her series has made me an even pickier reader because I want my lead female characters to kick ass even when they're hurting.
arielile
Currently Reading: Top Secret Twenty-One
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arielile.html

Post by arielile »

I have read pretty much every Nora Roberts book as well as her JD Robb books. I prefer the romance novels to the In Death series but in either area she is an amazing writer with the ability to fully immerse you into what ever story she is writing. I love the trilogies because you really get to know the characters and be able to connect with them and yet in each book you still discover something new about each character. One of the few authors that I pick up as soon as the book comes out even if it means paying extra for hardcover.
If you haven't read her yet i would pick up one of the trilogies/series my favorites would be The Bride Quartet, The Chesapeake Bay Saga, The Inn Boonsboro Trilogy, or the In the Garden Trilogy.
Readeatsleep

Post by Readeatsleep »

I'm glad there's a topic on Nora Roberts because her books bought back something I needed in my life. I got so busy with life that I forgot what books can do for you and I got one of her books from a goodwill store and she opened back up my love for reading. I have like 30 to 40 of her books and love the fact that I can pick one of and get captivated in it over and over again
Humelay
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humelay.html

Post by Humelay »

I've recently read quite a few Nora Roberts books, probably nine (9) since the beginning of the year. I definitely enjoyed the books and the writing was good but to me Nora Roberts is a light read. What I mean by that is that it doesn't require much thinking to read a Roberts story. I usually put her in as a sort of 'recovery' when I get a book that really messes with your mind or if I'm looking for a light romance with a bit more of a storyline than the Harlequin type. I don't mean any disrespect by this but I'd like to know about any Nora Roberts stories that have a bit more substance than her usual love stories.
LauraBeth0625
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurabeth0625.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by LauraBeth0625 »

I was thinking of doing some reviews on some Nora Roberts books that I have, that I am getting ready to read. Has anyone done any yet? I tried searching in the top of the page, but I want to make sure that I don't duplicate a review. if someone could help me out I would appreciate it.
But to answer the writing style question, I much prefer the romance ones to the murder mystery. Thanks for your help!
Rhymis
Currently Reading: Creep
Bookshelf Size: 351
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhymis.html

Post by Rhymis »

I loved her Chesapeake Bay series. She's really my go-to contemporary romance writer, but I want to try her other romances, too, especially the paranormal ones. I love her characters - and the things they feel are so real. I know I've cried and laughed more than once, reading her books.
Cowgirl888
Currently Reading: The 13th Demon
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cowgirl888.html

Post by Cowgirl888 »

Hands down her murder mysteries.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I enjoy some of her romance novels. I wasn't aware she wrote other mysteries. I will have to check them out.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

FMChandler wrote:Nora Roberts is an all around wonderful writer. I have a hard time deciding which of her writing styles I like more. Her romance, paranormal romance, or her murder mysteries. Anyone have a certain preference?
I love all of the Nora Roberts books that I have read. I love her paranormal romance where she mixes a little bit of mysticism into her stories but my favorite would have to be her standard romances. She does such a great job of building the tension between her characters as they circle around each other on their way to falling in love. I love that she gives her readers glimpses of the insecurities of both her male and female characters. She let's the reader inside their heads and allows us to understand what they are thinking and feeling. Also, she writes a steamy sex scene!
booklover0923
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover0923.html

Post by booklover0923 »

I love her murder mystery books. The main character fascinates me and grabs my attention. I enjoy her sarcasm, wit and general personality. In each book she shows her character grow more and more from the person she was in the first novel and watching that progression gives me so much delight. As for the mystery each book provides, she never fails to give an interesting murder for her characters to investigate. Also, despite having almost 50 books, I have yet to see books where the mystery seems to be repeated from a previous book. Each one is new and refreshing.

Return to “Discuss Authors”