Have you ever met an author in person?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Re: Have you ever met an author in person?

Post by DancingLady »

Sadly I have not. There is a local book store that has author discussions several times per year, but I have always either had a conflict, or been too financially strapped to but the book, (especially if it was hardcover) and so I have never gone. I would love to talk to a published writer after being able to read their work, but most authors only discuss new books, not ones that might be obtained in affordable used paperbacks or borrowed from the library in the next few months.
SLD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by SLD »

When I worked at the airlines, I boarded James Patterson onto a plane.
I also took care of Hillary Clinton (and her whole entourage) once.
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

I'm new to this world so I haven't ever asked for a signature or anything like that, but I wouldn't be that interested either. I don't really like to follow authors and celebrities religiously.. There are a few artists that I consider to be worth the constant information, but they are two in total.
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
HogSandwich
Favorite Author: China Mieville
Currently Reading: Persuasion
Bookshelf Size: 26
fav_author_id: 6004

Post by HogSandwich »

I met Terry Pratchett as a petrified 13-year-old. He came to my school and joked that they'd cleaned the blood off the walls since the last time he was there - and spelled my name correctly without asking for spelling.

He died on my 30th birthday :( :( :(
Bunnygirl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bunnygirl.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Bunnygirl »

Have I ever met an author?

Yes. I met an amazingly gifted author by the name of Rhonda Dennis. She had a book signing in May of 2011. I really feel privileged to have been able to meet such a talented author.
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

Just one so far, Christopher Moore. He did a reading of his take on Shakespeare, Fool. Along with this, was a hilarious talk about how Hollywood is dead to him for always wanting to change major aspects of his books or make terrible casting decisions after buying the rights to some book or other he's written. My favorite was when they tried to tell him he couldn't use his own character anymore even though they were never getting around to making the movie they bought a book for. Yeah, tell an intelligent, creative individual "no" and see how that works out. Read Lamb and Practical Demonkeeping and you'll understand. :lol2: I got to talk to him before and after and he was very kind and hilarious. He even called out my friend and me during the show, remembering that we had flown across the country to see him and gave us free merchandise.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

I used to be in the Robert Rankin fan club and I went on a tour of the Brentford triangle with him. I also went on a boat trip up the Thames with him and the club for his 70th birthday. He even put me into one of his books (he puts a lot of his friends and aquantainces into his books). My username on the fan site was Nursewhen, and I have an extremely brief cameo in one of his books.

Sadly, the fan club fell apart and people moved on.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Further to my previous post, the book I had my Nurse When cameo in was ‘THE MECHANICAL MESSIAH AND OTHER MARVELS OF THE MODERN AGE’ by Robert Rankin.
Iamsofia
Currently Reading: Achieve Your Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamsofia.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Iamsofia »

No. I've never met an author in person, but social media is a really good platform to talk to real people and express your thoughts. I have spoken to a few authors on Twitter and I hope to meet at least one of them in person
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Not that I am aware of but it is possible. I meet many persons on a daily basis, some briefly.
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

No, I havent yet met an author in person.
I really wanted to meet Terry Pratchet (may his soul rest in perfect peace).
So I was grieved when he passed away. I had hoped to see how someone with such intriguing stories would think and what kind of thought process he would follow or possess.
I had known that there wasnt much chancd of this alreadh as Pratchet battled a debilitating disease in the last years of his life. Still, I had hoped and the loss of all hope was saddening.
DesireeRose
Currently Reading: The Blood of Winter
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desireerose.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by DesireeRose »

To my chagrin, I have never met an author. However, if i could meet any author, dead or alive, I'd meet C.S. Lewis. His imagination is so inspiring, and his characters are so real. I'd love to get some writing tips from him.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Yes, I met a local children's books author that was presenting and discussing her books in one of my college classes. I currently don't remember the titles of her books, but I do know that I got her signature on all three of them. If anyone is interested in what they are called, please ask.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
rnraa99
Currently Reading: Call Me by Your Name
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by rnraa99 »

Yes I have, but honestly I was quite young, 10 or 11, so I was incredibly shy and didn’t know how to act (i was an awkward child :oops: ) Her name was Ain Maisarah, looking back at her books, I don’t enjoy it as much because it’s targeted for tweens.
Jeyasivananth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyasivananth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeyasivananth »

Yes I have had the privilege of meeting a few Indian Diasporic writers like Shashi Despande and Mahesh Dattani.

Return to “Discuss Authors”