Have you ever met an author in person?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Have you ever met an author in person?

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Miche Sora wrote:I've met several: Kevin Hearne (funny as hell), Richard Kadrey (creepy), Patrick Rothfuss (awesome), and George RR Martin (adorable). I've tried a couple of times to meet Jim Butcher, but Mysterious Galaxy bookstore failed in a big way when they hosted him. I admit to having my fangirl moments while meeting authors. Somehow the idea of meeting movie stars leaves me cold.
Ooh what was George RR Martin like?

I've wanted to meet authors but I feel if I went to something like a book signing I wouldn't know what to say.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
ilovechickens777
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilovechickens777.html
Latest Review: "OUR LANHAM HISTORY and Related Families" by Clifford W. Lanham

Post by ilovechickens777 »

I have never met an author in person but I do hope to in the future.
Latest Review: "OUR LANHAM HISTORY and Related Families" by Clifford W. Lanham
bibliognost
Currently Reading: The Thinker's Way
Bookshelf Size: 135

Post by bibliognost »

Being a librarian, I am fortunate to have met several amazing authors.
I have literally stalked Harlan Coben book signings for years - I never get tired of the "Tattoos While You Wait" story. He's a down-to-earth funny guy,

Brad Meltzer is a hoot - he not only posed for a wonderfully hilarious photo with me at ALA Annual in Orlando - he continues to send encouraging tweets as I struggle with my own writing.

David Levithan - I cannot say enough about this man. Mr. Levithan is a talented writer and a brilliant advocate for the marginalized and underserved populations of our society. Talented, gracious, and he opened my eyes to the unfortunate homophobia of a highly lauded YA author. I'd never remove a book from a library - but I am glad Mr. Levithan was brave enough to call out hate speech where it exists.

Which author meetings have made a lasting impression on you?
milyjohnson
Currently Reading: Nimue
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by milyjohnson »

I have never met an author in person. I would have loved to have met Jackie Collins before she passed away. She was my favorite author. I would also like to meet Terry McMillan, Sandra Brown, Lisa Jackson, Lisa Gardner, and James Patterson. I enjoy reading their books too.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I have not had the chance to meet any of my favorite authors but I am sure that would be quite an experience. One for the books, haha.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

No, I have never met any writer in person but I would definitely like to meet Rhonda Byrne and many more.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Papercut
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Papercut »

MarathonCF wrote:I've never met an Author in person but I really like how you can follow them on facebook now. I follow Lynn Flewelling and she updates while she's writing which I really like. It gives you an insight into the book and her though process.
That's so true! I once saw a book signing of Victoria Aveyard a year ago and was dying to see her. I didn't got to meet her since I got exams that day. Now I also follow her on facebook and it's nice to see how she is doing.
Maria joraimah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 92854">The Zodiac Killer</a>
Currently Reading: Unbroken
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Maria joraimah »

I haven't met an author yet and will be an honor if I do. I really would love it if given the opportunity. For now, I am content on reading their books and yes, check them out on the internet. Having a glimpse of how they live or lived their lives and do their writings help a great deal in relating to their works.
" HAPPINESS is finding PEACE within yourself! " :D
Arthur Muthee
Currently Reading: One Last Lie
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arthur-muthee.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Arthur Muthee »

Yes, I have met author Ngugi Wathiongo in person.
CHL
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chl.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Post by CHL »

I haven't given this much thought until now. Come to think of it. I haven't met any author yet. How delightful would it be to meet one? I have high respect for writers. They are great thinkers, persistent artists, and disciplined persons who worked with passion to create a masterpiece that we now enjoy.
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Yes! I was fortunate enough to attend a workshop run by Ardashir Vakil, author of Beach Boy and One Day. Most recently, he's had a short story published in The Raritan. He's an awesome writer and an inspiring teacher.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

I've met Reverend Dr. Maitland Evans as he'd lectured a psychology class some time in 2017. Otherwise, no, I haven't.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
Kieran_Obrien
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-obrien.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kieran_Obrien »

Not many authors come to Ireland so I haven't met many! Although I have met Derek Landy, author of the Skulduggery Pleasant series which is great!
pinefamily
Currently Reading: Magician
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by pinefamily »

One of my wife's favourite authors, Monica McInerney, lives in Ireland. We were lucky enough to listen to her give a talk last year. She was actually born here in South Australia, about an hour from where we live.
I have met Matthew Reilly at a book signing as well. My cousin has three books published; does that count?
Mekkinism
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mekkinism.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Mekkinism »

I met Neil Gaiman backstage at a concert his wife was playing. He was so unfailingly kind. I could tell that making conversation with strangers wasn't really his thing, but he didn't seem put upon at all. Still, all I wanted to do the whole time was leave him in peace. Then he was kind enough to take photos with us, and when he was taking one with me the camera wouldn't work for a bit, and I got all trembly and nervous and he squeezed my shoulder and told me to relax. So yes, sometimes it's actually nice to meet your heroes.

Return to “Discuss Authors”