Fave book of a 1st time author

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Re: Fave book of a 1st time author

Post by RussetDivinity »

I really enjoyed Thieftaker[/b] by D. B. Jackson, which is a historical fantasy set in the pre-Revolution American colonies.

I also have to agree with ALRyder that I was hoping to find lots of conversation on this site, though I will admit that I am guilty of just responding to a subject and leaving it at that.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
Beamer92
Currently Reading: Hexed
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beamer92.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Beamer92 »

[quote="thsavage2"]Pat Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind is masterful, and it was his first novel to be published.

Would definitely have to agree with this! It used to be Chris Paolini for Eragon (which I read incessantly as a younger person) but I think as first works go Rothfuss's comes in at a much higher bar, to where Eragon built to that higher bar. On the other hand Paolini was much younger and aimed at a younger audience.... I love both series so much..... TURMOIL!
tollyfaye24
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tollyfaye24 »

The catastrophic history of you and me by Jess Rothenburg. It was so interesting and I hope and wait that she does more.
ReadandRoll[
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: There are several
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... nbroken</a>
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower IV
Bookshelf Size: 550
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReadandRoll[ »

thsavage2 wrote:Pat Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind is masterful, and it was his first novel to be published. He wrote a lot of it while in college (and it took him a really long time to graduate) but then reworked a lot of it before it got published. It is really just superb, I take pretty much any chance I can to recommend it. And the sequel, Wise Man's Fear, and then we can all wait together for the third and final book with bated breath.

I'd also recommend Steig Larsson's Millennium trilogy (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and following). He was a journalist and into sci-fi way before he wrote those, but I think they were his first actual novels. And they are really, really good. Heavy, but really good.
Steig Larsson's Millennium trilogy, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo came to my mind also when reading this topic. I'll have to look into Pat Rothfuss.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~Chinese Proverb
Brandi Noelle
Currently Reading: The Invention of Murder
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandi-noelle.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Brandi Noelle »

There are many, I'm sure...Margaret Mitchell's "Gone With the Wind" comes to mind. Amazing historical saga and the only book she ever had published during her lifetime. A more recent choice would be "The Girl on the Train" by Paula Hawkins. An excellent suspense novel and she managed to not only seamlessly switch narrators chapter-by-chapter, but she also hopped back and forth in chronology without missing a step. Very impressive.
DATo

Post by DATo »

Well, I guess the obvious one .... To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

Her second one was a stinker though in my opinion. That's a .500 batting average, which is not bad in baseball.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Lincolnshirelass

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

May I put in a word for Charlotte Bronte's 'The Professor' (I accept that like all the Brontes she wrote extensive juvenilia but am referring to her first published book written in adulthood). I don't love it with the passion I love Jane Eyre, but it is interesting on several levels - the male protagonist, and also a reversal of the more frequent phenomenon when a writer is exploring their own personal life in their fiction - she examines her relationship with Constantin Heger more objectively and less emotionally than in the later 'Vilette'.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
Tpop
Currently Reading: An Obstinate Vanity
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tpop.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Tpop »

Brandi Noelle wrote:There are many, I'm sure...Margaret Mitchell's "Gone With the Wind" comes to mind.
I did not realize that Gone With the Wind was her first book. That is incredible.

-- 10 Nov 2017, 11:34 --

My favorite first time author/book was David Baldacci’s ‘Absolute Power’. It is a murder suspense novel about secret service agents that cover up the death of a woman who is having an affair with the president. A classic conspiracy novel!
Brandi Noelle

Post by Brandi Noelle »

Tpop wrote:
Brandi Noelle wrote:There are many, I'm sure...Margaret Mitchell's "Gone With the Wind" comes to mind.
I did not realize that Gone With the Wind was her first book. That is incredible.
Yes, her first and only that she ever had published. Amazing!
Tpop
Currently Reading: An Obstinate Vanity
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tpop.html

Post by Tpop »

Brandi Noelle wrote:
Tpop wrote:
Yes, her first and only that she ever had published. Amazing!
The fact that she only had one book almost feels sad. Someone with that much talent should have blessed the world with many stories.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Girl Underwater by Claire Kells is great. It wasn't what I was expecting when I started it, but the author was great at making you fall in love with her flawed characters. She does a wonderful job of weaving together present day with flashbacks. I highly recommend this debut novel.
Brandi Noelle

Post by Brandi Noelle »

Tpop wrote:
Brandi Noelle wrote:
Tpop wrote:
The fact that she only had one book almost feels sad. Someone with that much talent should have blessed the world with many stories.
I know, it’s unfortunate. Who knows how many more adventures she could have taken us on!
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

Borderline by Mishell Baker. Also Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. I believe she was a first time author when she wrote that.
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I really enjoyed The Bend in the Willow, it made me cry.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

I really liked The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo but then the second one was slow for me.

Return to “Discuss Authors”