What is your opinion on Stephenie Meyer?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Re: What is your opinion on Stephenie Meyer?

Post by bclayton13 »

I truly liked the Twilight series. I don't think it's the greatest book ever but it was very good. I was definitely a fan in high school.
In a way I feel bad for Stephanie Meyer; she published a YA novel and I think it blew up way more than she'd expected. Suddenly everyone's criticizing her writing and her work's under a microscope. She's not the most masterful writer but I don't think she deserved the blasting she got.
anorexic_pig
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by anorexic_pig »

I really looked up to her when I was a freshman in high school. I agree that her writing style is so simplistic that even new readers could relate and understand the ideas she wanted to convey to her readers. Referring to the twilight saga, her fame skyrocketed due to its commercialization when it was put into motion picture.
Anyways, Meyer played a big part in causing my hormones to flare up during puberty stage because her novels are truly appealing to young readers. Vampires, werewoves .. she's an expert to those.
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanig83006.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Nanig83006 »

emberwood wrote: 23 May 2013, 20:03 I was obsessed with her books when I was in the 8th grade. I believe there were two of them out at the time and I was waiting on the others. I went to Midnight openings for her new books hosted by various book stores and loved the storyline when I was young. As I grew as a reader, a writer, and a student, it became clear that her plots were weak and her grammar is horrible. Now, the books are painful to read.

Things I Like: Her series is different. It's not the run-of-the-mill story about vampires and werewolves; her plot runs deeper than that to include the Volturi and unique settings. I admire her fierceness for not being afraid to go there.

Thinks I Didn't Like: Her grammar, her writing style, her voice, her characterization, her descriptions; she definitely has a strong point in finding a plot, but a weakness in executing it.

I think they're ideal for a middle school audience, but you can definitely outgrow her writing.
You and I are in the same boat! I adored her during the same time in my life. Went to all the releases and got all the books. As a reader and writer, I agree with you, her work is weak. But, I never hide my love for the series or Meyer. If she hadn't created it, there wouldn't be Fifty Shades for anyone to read. There are probably some eye-rolls to that, but remember everyone's taste in genre and story line is different. I didn't care for Fifty Shades, but grandma did! :lol2:
insertbookpunhere

Post by insertbookpunhere »

It's probably an unpopular opinion at this point, but I actually enjoy Stephanie Meyer. As for Twilight, I think you have to take some things with a grain of salt - but the characters are rich and the emotions relatable - especially Bella's heartbreak in New Moon. Sure, some of it's ridiculous, but it is fantasy. And The Host is one of her lesser known books, though it also became a movie, and I absolutely loved it. By far her best.
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

While it would be hard for me to read her writing now, I do not regret loving the Twilight series when I was in middle school (awful movies though). At 13, these stories were so fun for me. It was new and exciting. I remember always looking forward to the next chapter and the next book.

I also loved her book The Host. I think I enjoyed this one more than the Twilight series and sometimes think about revisiting it.

I do not fault Stephanie Meyer for her writing. I also love to write and I am fully aware that I am not the best writer, but I try to do it anyway. She was doing something she loved! What's so wrong about that?
Jessica Reehl
Currently Reading: Goodnight Irene
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-reehl.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Jessica Reehl »

Interesting read but horrible role model for young girls. The first two books annoyed me but I did get to like the series by the 3rd and 4th books.
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

I think she had a fairly good concept on the Twilight series but, because she focused a lot on the love triangle, she missed it. The same with the Host. Great concept, too much romance to actually appreciate it.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
bookdragon7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookdragon7.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B007HCCOIA

Post by bookdragon7 »

I loved her back when I first read her stories as a teenager going through high school. I have grown as a person, reader, and writer and I tried to reread the series I had loved so much. Couldn't do it. Her writing style, voice, grammar, and storyline weren't strong. It is definitely for a teenage audience but as you mature, you outgrow this series.
mary qnn

Post by mary qnn »

twilight really love it. the character the love triangle of different being rock,
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

I read the Twilight books as a teen and enjoyed them. Looking back though, there's hardly any plot and just loads of detailing. However, I still like her standalone novel The Host to this day! When I read it I initially thought that she had a ghost writer for it since it read so differently from the Twilight books, but I don't have an opinion any more. I honestly haven't heard of any books by her since!
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

emberwood wrote: 23 May 2013, 20:03 I think they're ideal for a middle school audience, but you can definitely outgrow her writing.
This pretty much sums up a lot of my frustration with the series, but I was also already older than the target audience when the books released.

I didn't have much of an opinion of Meyer as a person until I heard an interview where she says most of her inspiration for the novel, especially when it comes to the main two leads, stemmed from some adult dreams that she had. Her main two leads are teenage boys (even if one is much older, he still acts and looks like a teen boy). As a person who works with teens for a living, hearing older women sexualize teens is just creepy.
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

I thought the writing and dialogue in the Twilight series were terrible. But the plot was very enjoyable. I liked her writing in her standalone book “The Host” so maybe her editors got better. But Twilight was very repetitive and young
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

I got into Stephanie Meyer's books only because everyone else around me was. I fooled myself into believing I was enjoying them, but I remember mentally nagging myself to see what everyone else was until I got to that point. I tried giving The Host a shot, too, but there was no chance of it working that time. I liked the movies, though.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Swat3737 wrote: 20 Jan 2019, 19:02 I thought the writing and dialogue in the Twilight series were terrible. But the plot was very enjoyable. I liked her writing in her standalone book “The Host” so maybe her editors got better. But Twilight was very repetitive and young

This seems to be the general consensus among people I've talked to who read that book. Twilight was young and I think, given what she's said about it, that it was a bit self-indulgent, but it wasn't the worst book I've read. I agree with you about the writing and the plot, but also, I liked some of her characters. I've always loved Alice, and by the time Breaking Dawn came out my views on Rosalie changed toward something more positive.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Jayden LaFave

Post by Jayden LaFave »

Stephanie Meyer’s Twilight series was the first chapter books I have ever read, and I can definitely say that I have been hooked ever since. Her writing showcases some of the best emotions I’ve ever read in a book. Anytime I were to pick up a Stephanie Meyer book, I wouldn’t put it down until I finished it. Besides the Twilight books, I’ve also read The Host and The Chemist, and they both have magical, horrific, sci-fi, and romantic qualities to them. Which is also one of my favorite genres to read. So, overall she is by far one of my favorite authors.

Return to “Discuss Authors”