What is your opinion on Stephenie Meyer?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
whitewing2611
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Favorite Book: Wintersmith - Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading: The Sleeping Beauty - Mercedes Lackey
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitewing2611.html
fav_author_id: 2791

Re: What is your opinion on Stephenie Meyer?

Post by whitewing2611 »

To be honest this lady confuses me. I was obsessed with twilight then I reread them and I realised that this woman's idea of a male vamp is a psychotic masochistic stalker who gets his jollies watching girls sleep. His character is really weak. I find Bella is much better in the book than in the movie (Vampires Suck refers to her as "more of a humorless type""kind of a sourpuss full of insecurities with no great personality". I totally agree :lol: ) but I still find her a bit irritating. I like the idea that Stephanie Meyer came up with this plot based on a dream though. Makes you feel as if anyone could write. So............Twilight is a no no but I absolutely LOVED The Host. I immediately reread it after finishing. So what I mean is how can a woman who can write an awesome story like the Host degenerate into someone who writes about stalker vamps?
emilia-sz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilia-sz.html

Post by emilia-sz »

When the hype about Twilight started, I was very curious and read the whole series. While it was a very easy read, it left me somewhat unsatisfied. The characters were underdeveloped, the plot was easy to predict and the way she portrayed the romantic relationships just repelled me. I always wanted to read the Host, but after reading that disastrous series, I would rather not - I don't want to waste my time.
sweetie545
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetie545.html

Post by sweetie545 »

I have read the Twilight series, but it was long ago so i can't tell you about her writing in that series, however, more recently i read her book The Host and loved it. Her character building was great and you didn't expect quite a few things. People reacted well enough, not too dramatic like lots of books, and the story itself made you think. I think for this reason, she is great author.
BetzyCrypt
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-betzycrypt.html

Post by BetzyCrypt »

Her writing is easy to read, and the plot could always use work. That is why most of the youth are obsessed. People would like to read something that doesn't take much effort. No one would wants run across a word they don't know and go running to google for answers. Her work is average. Teens would be pleased at her words. But if an forty year old took grasp they would scoff. Meyer's best work I have to say is "The Host." Wonderful storyline that was well thought out. The movie I'm sure was crud.
shayna
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayna.html
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman

Post by shayna »

I read Twilight before the movies came out, and thus before all of the hate. To be honest, I like the books. I was young, and sure they were by no means literary masterpieces, but they were entertaining. To a kid, that's all that mattered. I've read so many horrible books, and I feel as though the main dislike towards Meyer comes from the fact that she has tried to compare herself to great writers that greatly exceed her in talent. Part of the hatred for the books also comes from bandwagon hatred for the movies, though I will admit they were dreadful.
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman
Dharianal91

Post by Dharianal91 »

I think that Stephanie Myers has an art for thinking up ideas but is terrible at fully executing them. After reading Twilight multiple times, I continued to reread it and I realized its because I wanted more. The series is 4 books and the movies are 5 and even after having seen them all and reading them all many times there was always something missing. As a teen when I first read the books I loved it but as i developed a more keen love for reading this book just was not cutting it anymore. I couldn't get through the host it was very much the same to twilight in the sense that it was lacking. Shes great but not great enough especially if you're used to reading literary classics.
Bailers77
Favorite Author: Terry Goodkind
Currently Reading: The Scorch Trials
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bailers77.html
fav_author_id: 5284

Post by Bailers77 »

I believe the story was well written and the characters were well developed. I tend to hear people say they were bad books when they saw the movies first which were poor in comparison to the books.
CnL4eva
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cnl4eva.html

Post by CnL4eva »

i love the way Stephanie Meyer, uses description. Im not much into romance but, "Twilight" literally had me drooling. i love how she captivates her audience with her words. I have read all her series of Twilight. I also read "The Host". I like fantasy, she has an amazing imagination, and I cant wait to see her other works.
TheBookMaven
Favorite Author: Jean M. Auel
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thebookmaven.html
Latest Review: "The Colors of Friendship" by K. R. Raye
fav_author_id: 3709

Post by TheBookMaven »

I didn't like the Twilight series, but not necessarily because of her writing, but because they were boring to me. It seemed like she spent a lot of time writing about how in love they were but not as much about what events were going on. To be honest, I skipped pages here and there when I could tell the chapter was just going to be all about how lost they felt, etc. It's been awhile since I read them, but I remember thinking that the only reason I was finishing them was to try and figure out what the big deal about the series was. I watched the first movie too; it followed the book pretty well and I was just as bored. Maybe her style of writing just isn't for me.
Never judge a book by its movie
Latest Review: "The Colors of Friendship" by K. R. Raye
Scorsee
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scorsee.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Scorsee »

I found myself pulled into the series, but I definitely have a love/hate relationship with it. I think it's terribly written, has a pretty poorly developed plot and pretty flat characters...but for some reason it still draws me in. I think that its written in first person helps the reader to become engaged in it, even while going "this is not the best book..."
“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” -Albus Dumbledore
AlishaCostanzo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alishacostanzo.html

Post by AlishaCostanzo »

I'm sure she's been picked apart and praised on this thread, but as a vamp-enthusist (one who write articles about vamp lit), I found her use of Mormonism fascinating. Ex. Mormon angels sparkle and mate for life--both of which are represented via Edward and, later, Bella. Also, her transformation of the vampire mythos is also quite intriguing, and although they sparkle, she fixed this quirk in her last story by making them sparkle so brightly that they appeared as if on fire. Interesting ideas, average to poor execution. Still, she did well enough to garner analysis.
Caz1+
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caz1.html

Post by Caz1+ »

I loved the twilight books and thought she did a great job with the story. When I read the host I was a bit disappointed as it felt like a different writer. It has put me off a bit from reading any of her other books.
Duchess Poppycock

Post by Duchess Poppycock »

Her pacing was good, and that's about all I can say:/
BeccaCaley
Favorite Author: To many
Favorite Book: I could not honestly say
Currently Reading: The Evolution of Mara Dyer

Post by BeccaCaley »

I read Twilight when it first came out and I loved it but then the films really let it down! I was only 13 or so when I read it and i thought it was brilliant but when I re read them last year when I was 18 I was just like hmmm I'm not sure! however The Host is a brilliant book! A great plot and I loved the characters :)
hillaryjones92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hillaryjones92.html

Post by hillaryjones92 »

I, like all teenage girls, was obsessed with her at the time. I loved the books and the characters. I fell out of love with them as I grew up regardless of the poor grammar or other flaws. I grew to see problems with the ideas. It's OK for your boyfriend control you as long as he is older and doing it for your own good? Um, no sorry not OK! I loved (and still do) the little differences that strayed away from the carefully worn lines of traditional vampire and werewolf stories. I liked the book Host, as well. I had never gotten much into the invasion of the body snatchers idea until that book. Host wasn't quite so painful and embarrassing to reread. On the other hand, I reread the twilight series last year :oops:. It was a funny, quick, and nostalgic read. I doubt i will do it again for a long time. So in summary, I loved the twilight series in its time, I think it sent some not so great messages to young girls (what book doesn't if you look close enough), but shes not a bad author overall. Stephanie Meyer is/was the prefect author for her demographic.

Return to “Discuss Authors”