What is your opinion on Stephenie Meyer?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
JeffinerRosie
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeffinerrosie.html

Re: What is your opinion on Stephenie Meyer?

Post by JeffinerRosie »

Personally, I think the Twilight books are great, they are gripping and fast paced, it's a shame the films are so dull in comparison with the books!
Soaro
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soaro.html

Post by Soaro »

I actually enjoyed the Twilight film (only one I saw though). I can only assume the pacing was better than in the book because I never actually managed to finish the book. I think I managed about 6 chapters in before the lack of anything actually happening made me give up. I really tried to get past the really awful writing but I need for there to be some plot action at least for that.

To date Twilight is one of only two books I've thrown in the recycling because it was so bad rather than pass it on. I'd still rather see people enjoying the book rather than not read at all though.
LittleMissKelsK

Post by LittleMissKelsK »

I really enjoyed reading the Twilight series when I was younger because it was such a quick read. At the time my sister was reading The Vampire Diaries and the similarities seemed more than coincidence. Stephenie Meyer stated that she first dreamt of the idea or of Edward but since the Vampire Diaries did come out before her books it seems like she might have found some inspiration not from her dreams but from something she might have read. That's all speculation on my part. The books in my opinion lacked imagination, depth and interesting characters. I have been reading The Host and I enjoy this book a lot more. She took a great idea from her own imagination and developed it very well. I think if she wrote more books on or above the level of The Host I would definitely read them. Overall I think she has a lot of potential to be a lot better writer.
Eleko14
Favorite Author: Tolkien
Favorite Book: Mary Stewarts Merlin Series
Currently Reading: The Alchemist of Souls
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eleko14.html
fav_author_id: 10389

Post by Eleko14 »

I really didn't like her books. I found them poorly written, and the subject matter inappropriate (although definitely of interest) for teenage girls. I also agree that the relationships portrayed in the story as 'ideal' are very unhealthy and not something I would want my daughter aspiring to have.
Dezire06
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dezire06.html

Post by Dezire06 »

I loved Stephanie Meyers Twilight Saga she captured my heart in her books
purple monkey

Post by purple monkey »

whybark wrote:The woman can't write,to save her life
Um... Your grammar's wrong. Stephanie Meyer was the first author I actually started following. That's when I was in seventh grade. I have read the Twilight Saga several times, and The Host is one of my favorite books by far. I don't find that her writing is "lacking" in any sense, and I feel that the (Twilight) movies were the thing that really set people against her. I'm not saying that she's the best author ever, but people don't give her enough credit. She is NOT a bad author.
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Post by SidnayC »

I think Stephanie Meyer got very lucky. I don't think her book or story was exceptional or original (many stories before hers had the same plot line and theme which she is rumored to have copied). But she released her book in the right environment at the right time. So well done to her and all her success. I am happy for her.
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
BookWorm07
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm07.html
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil

Post by BookWorm07 »

I admit I didn't think the books were half as bad as people made it out to be when I was younger. I knew it was full of bad grammar and was also poorly written plot wise. But in hindsight, the fact that I once liked such a book scares me. Those who use the fact that the book was intended for teenagers as a defense for how bad the book actually was need to know this. The book has made stalker-esque qualities attractive and Bella stays the damsel in distress waiting for her knight for most part of the series, which isn't a great example to set for teenagers. Jacob imprints on a newborn child! And those are just a few things you are not to tell teenagers. What the hell was I thinking when I read it?!
"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic" - J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil
thsavage2
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thsavage2.html
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday

Post by thsavage2 »

I read the books because they were the only thing the girls on my soccer team would talk about. They were a good guilty-pleasure read (one time), but that's really the only good thing there is to say about them.

Meyer has basically only one way of describing Edward, which is a "marble Greek statue" and she could definitely stand to come up with a few synonyms for "cold." Her writing is around a 4th grade reading level. The love story is terrible, if you take any more than a superficial look at it. As others have mentioned in this thread, the relationship is portrayed as ideal and perfect, but it is really not a healthy relationship at all, especially with all the little girls reading this book and wanting an Edward of their own. Bella is a static character at best and a whiny, obsessive yet passive fangirl at worst. She (and her relationship) are in no way good models for the target audience.

(Side note, Robert Pattinson, who plays Edward in the movies and Cedric Diggory in HP, has a hilariously jaded and negative attitude toward his role and the movies in general. His interviews are thus often very funny to watch.)
Latest Review: "The Edifice (Drifter Book 1)" by R. K. Holliday
chenoapalmer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chenoapalmer.html

Post by chenoapalmer »

I love her books.I find them interesting and original.
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html

Post by SidnayC »

laura_askew88 wrote:I enjoyed the Twilight series and have read it many times. I like her writing style and I think it fits the characters. I would seem silly using elaborate writing to describe those characters. It is a book written for a younger audience which should be kept in mind. The end to the series was a little disappointing though, no big fight scene.... :?
Yes I was also thinking how the end of the series was very lackluster. But I guess they tried to make up for it in the movie with that big chaotic and violent fight scene haha.
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
kalyever

Post by kalyever »

I enjoyed the Twilight books, but noticed many mistakes in her writing. It drives me crazy when I there are mistakes, enough that it took me quite awhile to even want to finish them....but of course, I did because once you started those it was hard to not finish. I have tried multiple times to read The Host, but I just cannot like it. Even the movie was something I skipped out on all together!
colemaba
Favorite Author: I can never decide
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 21844">the hinger games</a>
Currently Reading: Enders Game
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colemaba.html
Latest Review: "Angel of Destiny" by T.L.Adams

Post by colemaba »

I think Stephanie Meyers is a writer for the time when we were all younger, our middle school/high school years. The story as a whole was good, but as you get older you see it lacks depth. I think she is great for her target audience, but she would need to make some changes if she wants to change her target audience.
Latest Review: "Angel of Destiny" by T.L.Adams
KairaReads88
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kairareads88.html

Post by KairaReads88 »

Stephanie Meyer is one of the authors I feel very passionate about. I read the Twilight series in the 8th grade and right after I had finished the entire series the first movie was released. Unfortunately the movie was pretty awful and did not show the true beauty of how the book was written. Bella was more interesting less creepy and far more exciting and energetic than the movie made it seem. Also Edward was a character that you felt sympathy for. I remember reading and finding characteristics in Bella that I found were similar to myself and please trust me when I say I am very interesting! However the after the movies came out if gave Stephanie Meyer and the twilight series such a bad name.
As each movie progressed the directors better captured the story line that Stephanie Meyer had created. Still there is no justice that can be don’t to help get her credibility back on the twilight series. As for me though I loved all the twilight books eclipse probably being my all-time favorite although that changes from time to time.
Then I had the pleasure of reading the host which had A VERY slow start and I highly considered putting it down but that went against everything I believed in. It also was very nice that I had friends who had read the book and said just make it through because the rest of the book was so worth it. How right they were. One we get to the caves I fall in love with the book and could not put it down. Following Melanie and Wanderer on their journey is so excited with the love drama and a world about to end it was such a beautifully written story that It is actually in my favorite book list.
Then the movie was released. I personally think that the movie was on the worst films I have ever experienced. It followed none of the plot line and it was also poorly directed and I don’t believed that the person who directed the movie did anything more that read a spark notes of the novel. This also did nothing except botch Meyers writing even more and there are many who review her books but base their opinion solely on the movies. If it were up to me I would say that Meyer should not have her books made into movies. Her books are written for people with vivid imaginations those who can see the story in their head and create their own image. Anyone who tries to put that to screen will only fail because while the generally the story line is the same but the interpretation is what changes from person to person.
I think Stephanie Meyer has a way with writing novels and should not be discouraged she should continue writing and prove all her nay Sayers wrong!
Ellandreading

Post by Ellandreading »

I live her she is awesome she can write great series twilight

Return to “Discuss Authors”