who is your guiltiest pleasure author?

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
n8gray
Bookshelf Size: 0

who is your guiltiest pleasure author?

Post by n8gray »

personally i am a fan of George Pelecanos. he writes D.C. crime dramas about a black cop in DC who cracks skulls and betters the neighborhood.... but they're just so fun to read. i know there is no literray value to them, but i do enjoy the snapshot of life in DC, he does a great job of making you feel you're walking the street with the character.
LoveHatesYou

Post by LoveHatesYou »

Dean Koontz. I hate him, I love him. Shhh... don't tell. I'll pick up his books at yard sales for a dime, and when I don't want to think, I 'll read him instead of watching TV.
LoveHatesYou

Post by LoveHatesYou »

Dean Koontz. I hate him, I love him. Shhh... don't tell. I'll pick up his books at yard sales for a dime, and when I don't want to think, I 'll read him instead of watching TV.
knightss

Post by knightss »

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.... yeah.. the author of sherlock holmes haha. =x
Ken Gage

Post by Ken Gage »

I got one for you. I like Carter Brown books, mostly from the 50s, 60s and 70s; his stories are usually about a private detective who spends more time womanizing and boozing than actually solving the case. Carter Brown is the pen name of an Australian writer, Alan G. Yates.
n8gray wrote:personally i am a fan of George Pelecanos. he writes D.C. crime dramas about a black cop in DC who cracks skulls and betters the neighborhood.... but they're just so fun to read. i know there is no literray value to them, but i do enjoy the snapshot of life in DC, he does a great job of making you feel you're walking the street with the character.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I love romance novels. Everyone hangs crap on me for loving them (yeah, like they're the ONLY thing I read...) but to me, any book is a good thing, regardless of it's genre.

Favourites of mine include Susan Wiggs, Linda Lael Miller, Julie Garwood, Marion Lennox, Suzanne Brockmann....

I just love reading a book sometimes that I don't have to think about, that I can just read and enjoy and know I'll come away feeling good.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

inkcharmed

Post by inkcharmed »

First of all, I don't think ANY reading should be a guilty pleasure. :) I think it's all productive in a way. Even if I run across a book that makes me wonder at how publishing can be so competitive and yet these sentences somehow... ugh... I hope that I can learn from them for my own writings sake. :) And then I just stop reading it.

But... in this sort of group, I love a good cozy mystery series. I love the IDEA of a bunch of them, like with a bookstore owner sleuth or a wine lover sleuth. But unfortunately, this is genre I have a lot of unfinished books in, because the author couldn't quite carry it off.

I used to like a lot of chick lit too, but now they mostly seem like crap. I loved Marian Keyes until recently, though. And I grew up on Victoria Holt and Patricia Veryan, with their historical romances.
Hippykitty

Post by Hippykitty »

I think it's easy to get elitist about literature. What matters is: is the author making a good job of his/her aim? For example, some slushy romantic novels in the Mills and Boon category are good at that fairytale romance-myth, managing to carry you into the belief that this could happen, whereas others are just a waste of paper.
I think it's important to read widely: classics, both modern and old; detective novels; romance; chic lit; modern experimental fiction etc.
I studied Literature at Uni, but can still indulge in slush. I'm just finishing a children's classic: The Swiss Family Robinson, which has been disappointingly boring. I only have about 20 pages left, but how they're dragging! Will read something gripping next, a Patricia Cornwell is lined up. After that, maybe another Dickens.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

My rule is to never apologise for what you read. I never feel guilty about anything I read, I just kick in and enjoy it for what it is.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

hotgeek

Post by hotgeek »

john grisham and sidney sheldon for those plot-driven, page-turning times I just don't want to analyze.
Karen

Post by Karen »

I love reading Good Old Days books and magazines. They are edited by Ken and Janice Tate, and are a collection of different stories each month and in each book, about the early part of the 20th century. They're short autobiographical stories about the youthful memories of people who lived then. I guess all of these authors are my favorite pleasure authors.

One of the nicest things about these stories is that they are history on wars, transportation, medicine, in the kitchen, around the house, at school, music, musicians, actors and actresses ..... and the list goes on! They make great bedtime stories too. Currently I'm reading the book, Dear Old Golden School Days. I love reading about the country one room schools! Another of those books just came in the mail. It is: Saturdays in the Good Old Days.

You can check out these books and magazines on line at: GoodOldDaysMagazine.com, because as Le Var Burton on the children's program, "Reading Rainbow" always said, "You don't have to take my word for it...."
babypinkcandygirl

Post by babypinkcandygirl »

oh dear here goes... my name's jude and i'm a jackie collins fan :oops: and i always read the mills and boon christmas specials too. i haven't stooped to rading jonathan kellerman yet though, i find his writing sooooooo cliched!
what's your top ten...?
loladarling

Post by loladarling »

Helen Fielding of Bridget Jones fame, every time i want i good "men are from mars" laugh I dive right in.
Kartinian

Post by Kartinian »

Jonathan Safran Foer
relativley new author who wrote one of my fav's Everything is Illuminated, a hilariously funny and yet enlightening book
Kirsten

Post by Kirsten »

Janet Evanovich, although no giult involved, just pleasure. I love her Stephanie Plum novels they are hilarious

Return to “Discuss Authors”