William shakesphere

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
facebook fans
Bookshelf Size: 0

William shakesphere

Post by facebook fans »

First Folio is one of the best book
Alexjonson
Favorite Author: Ravindra Nath Tagore

Post by Alexjonson »

William shakesphere, he was the greatest author as well dramatist of all times. Romeo and Juliet was the big achievement of his life. He was also known for playright and poet.
InkyFox
Favorite Author: carrie jones
fav_author_id: 8416

Post by InkyFox »

My favourite is still Hamlet. Shakesphere will always hold a special place in my heart. He's the reason why my high school and university poetry had archaic rhymes and rhythms.
Schnappi

Post by Schnappi »

Do not , for one repulse , give up the purpose that you resolved to effect .
kasiviswanath

Post by kasiviswanath »

I love the poets of Shakesphere. He's the reason why my high school and university poetry had archaic rhymes and rhythms.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Admirable sentiment, guys, but I think you've spelled his name incorrectly - it's William Shakespeare.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
milance2012

Post by milance2012 »

Great man, I think that nations and humanity relly need that kind of writers, politicians...to make better world. :wink:
bethany_vanwaes
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethany-vanwaes.html

Post by bethany_vanwaes »

My favorite Shakespeare play is As You Like It. My Literature professor pointed out at one point the fact that the play has a lot to do with going back into nature rather than conforming to societal norms. I was surprised when I reread it, that it was so relevant to modern society, and how it was and is perfectly natural to do something outside what society declares okay. One woman takes on the role of a man and continues the charade for a while due to the power it seems to give her, the freedom it gave her, to be a different person. At the conclusion of the play, everyone who escapes into the Forest of Arden and reconnects with nature goes back to society. I believe it gives a sort of message that it's unnatural and unhealthy to always conform to what society tells us, and I find that to be a powerful message.
mubaracus
Favorite Author: None as of Now
Favorite Book: None as of Now
Currently Reading: Autobiography of Ghandi

Post by mubaracus »

Idk maybe I'm too young to fully appreciate Shakespeare but I definitely hated Romeo and Juliet and really was not that impressed by Julius Caesar. I find him a bit overrated but maybe I still have a somewhat rudimentary ability to really interpret the brilliance of great pieces of literature.
Sveta
Currently Reading: Out of the Box Everlasting
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sveta.html
Latest Review: "Dirtball" by Eric Olsen

Post by Sveta »

I don't like Shakespeare, probably because I was forced to read him as a teen. I often feel that teens and young adults should read modernized versions of plays. If they want to read original, they will, but they'll gather more enjoyment from originals after reading modern versions. Hope I make sense.
Latest Review: "Dirtball" by Eric Olsen
saturday+deviant
Favorite Author: Riley Hart
Favorite Book: The Virgin Suicides
Currently Reading: Entice
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saturday-deviant.html
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Reading Device: B00OTWQXSI
fav_author_id: 30187

Post by saturday+deviant »

I had no lasting opinion of him in high school because I didn't pay attention to what I was reading. In my college course on Shakespeare, I learned that I hate his comedies and love his tragedies.
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
MercutioMadHat

Post by MercutioMadHat »

I think the trouble with Shakespeare is most modern English teachers in high school and/or the university setting feel obligated to teach at least one play written by him, or at least a couple of sonnets during a poetry unit. I don't think Shakespeare should be taught out of obligation but out of a desire to instill a love of what he's done. Shakespeare might appear to be overrated to some, but is he really? He revolutionized play-writing, and he is a good example of how to not give up when people have such low expectations for you. He was a womanizer, and he was a tax evader. He was generally disliked by his peers, and even today people say he didn't write his plays but stole them.

Well, okay, then. Find me an original story today, in modern literature, and tell me the plot line isn't borrowed from someone else. Those romances people read all the time about how the girl from the mob falls in love with the boy from the wealthy art dealer? Romeo and Juliet. Big corporate bosses get sabotaged from beneath their own noses? Julius Caesar. Man gets really high one night and envisions himself with a beautiful woman and goes romping around a city? Midsummer Nights Dream. Father loses everything to his greedy children? King Lear.

The stories are classics because everyone can relate to them. It's not that he's overrated, it's that he's under taught. No, you don't have to analyze it within an inch of its life, but you do need to read carefully to understand what is being said. He's the king of pun, he's the king of wit.
shayna
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shayna.html
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman

Post by shayna »

Shakespeare continues to be one of my favorites. I still need to read King Lear though, and I think I should reread the Temped and the Merchant of Venice because I don't remember them that well.
Latest Review: "T Wave" by Steven F. Freeman
joecain
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joecain.html

Post by joecain »

Love Shakespeare! The man, the myth, the legend. There ain't none higher.
Jennifer-Hamilton
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-hamilton.html

Post by Jennifer-Hamilton »

Shakespeare is my favourite playwright, whilst most people I was at school with were underwhelmed by him I fell completely in love with his works, reading Shakespeare and understanding it came to me as easily as breathing. My favourite play is Hamlet, a play that I ended up studying two years in a row, but I have a special place in my heart for The Merchant of Venice as well, as the only Shakespeare play that I have seen performed, at the Globe no less.

Return to “Discuss Authors”