Looking for Great Living Authors

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Luke Abaffy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Looking for Great Living Authors

Post by Luke Abaffy »

Hi everyone,
My name is Luke Abaffy and I host a web show called Author Feast where I interview authors on camera about their work, their writing process, and the publishing industry. The only problem is all of my favorite authors are dead! I'm reading as much as I can to find new work, but I've been burned recently—thank you Philip Roth and Nemesis.
I'm here to find good books by authors that you guys love (who are living). So if you have any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks everyone and nice to meet you!
Luke
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Off the top of my head: David Mitchell, Joyce Carol Oates, Kate Mosse, Ken Follett, C J Sansom, Markus Zusak, Ian McEwan, Bernhard Schlink, Carlos Ruiz Zafón, Hilary Mantel ...............I could go on & on.
Agree with you Nemesis was a disappointment but I wouldn't let it put me off Philip Roth (I absolutely love "I Married a Communist" & "The Humbling" for example.)
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Carrie R
Favorite Author: So many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=19706">A Fine Balance</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull

Post by Carrie R »

Chris Bohjalian, Anita Shreve, Jo Nesbo, and Alexander McCall Smith are a few that come to my mind.
Official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull ~ March book of the month!

Review of The Seneca Scourge - Previous book of the month!
Mazza WA

Post by Mazza WA »

Hugh Howey is my favourite almost new author at the moment. He has written a lot of ebooks for Kindle, and I have downloaded most of them and not been disappointed. John Grishom is still alive (!) as is christine King, timothy Hallinan and Michael Connelly. Lisa Unger, Val McDermid, and another favourite of mine, Kazuo Ishiguro.

Just a thought - some of the dead authors are really interesting - why can't you interview someone to talk about one of them, say, Sommerset Maughn, Graham Greene, John Steinbeck, Faulkner etc etc etc. I remember listening to a radio programme where someone was talking about Ian Flemming's work and how his life had influenced his work - that certainly held my interest.
Schnappi

Post by Schnappi »

That is so difficult! So viele Authors are so good authors!
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Pat Conroy and John Irving....

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Sadly Luke Abaffy's post is dated last year but still worthy of a reply.

Most public libraries keep a current list of the Top Authors or Top Reads available today.
You could then visit websites or YouTube these authors and decide if they were suitable.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
sgolesba

Post by sgolesba »

milan kundera,umberto eco,jo nesbo
Venusian42
Favorite Author: Poe
Favorite Book: The Gambler
Currently Reading: Sadeh
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-venusian42.html

Post by Venusian42 »

I have no doubt that had Kafka lived today, he wouldn't have been noticed at all. But i think you should interview Michael Guse. He is a rare poet.
Television? No thanks. I have books to read and write in ‘The Library of Time’
marissa_in
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-in.html

Post by marissa_in »

John green
zoetemeyer

Post by zoetemeyer »

If Australian literature appeals to you, I recommend giving Tim Winton a go (particularly Cloud Street).
Smitha Nayak

Post by Smitha Nayak »

McCarthy's novels are exceptionally dark and use intensely violent. Often considered his masterpiece, "Blood Meridian" is the story of a young boy during America's western expansion who gets mixed in with a group that scalps Native Americans. The gruesome imagery is unrelenting and often sickening, but it is McCarthy's passionate, superhuman voice that makes his work so powerful. His manner of storytelling is a neo-Biblical epic, and it is a voice he used in many of his other great successes, including "All the Pretty Horses" and "No Country for Old Men." His most recent success, "The Road," is an emotional story that casts a boy and his father against a post-apocalyptic landscape. It tears your heart out.
chrishegan

Post by chrishegan »

I echo zoetemeyer's recommendation for Tim Winton and particularly Cloudstreet. I grew up in New Zealand after WWII, a very similar culture to Australia's, and the life described in Cloudstreet rang loud bells for me. I loved his brand of rurally rough magic realism - talking pig, the rescued drownee longing to return to water, the house haunted by bitter colonials. The dialect might drive some readers to an online dictionary of Australian slang, an entertainment in itself.
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

"My name is Luke Abaffy and I host a web show called Author Feast where I interview authors on camera"

Sure he does. He just has one question before proceeding - does anyone know any authors?

Let this thread fade away.
pagenumber394
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pagenumber394.html

Post by pagenumber394 »

Markus Zusak
Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Tom Rob Smith
Marissa Meyer
JK Rowling

Return to “Discuss Authors”