J.R.R.Tolkien.

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
perusaphone
Favorite Author: Saki
Favorite Book: Have not found it yet
Currently Reading: As many as possible.
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 14031

J.R.R.Tolkien.

Post by perusaphone »

I have just finished doing a review on a new book about J.R.R.Tolkien. It is obviously written and published to coincide with the imminent release of 'The Hobbit' film. This in no way denigrates from the content matter. The title is 'J.R.R.Tolkien. The Making of a Legend'. by Colin Duriez. It tells of Tolkiens life right through from his birth, the youthful enjoyment of rambling, his innate love of languages, the invention of tales, mythology and, his career as a an academic at Oxford University.
I thoroughly enjoyed the read due to it's inherent method of telling the interested how the characters and landscapes of Middle Earth came into being. Easy to read and follow, it gives a clever insight into the man who made the change from standard 'Fairy Stories' for children, into 'Faery Stories' for adults when the transition could be deemed too avant-garde for those post-war years.

I wonder, in these days, how many people are simply self acclaimed 'experts' onTolkien and the 'Lord of the Rings' just by watching the films, their perception of the story and characters indelibly tattoo'd into their brains as a result of the film watching. Then, in a moment of glorious temptation, rush out and buy all Tolkien's books, begin each one and, then fall by the wayside as the story gets too complex. How many possibly read some of the books with someone else's filmic imagery in their heads instead of utilising their own imagination as Tolkien did ? This book tells of the publishers reprint numbers and the like, so, how many copies have been sold and, there again how many have actually been read as they were designed to be.... all the way through ??? :?:
Morphing into a misanthrope by existence in the human(?) race.....
tassiamgomes

Post by tassiamgomes »

I personally love Tolkien's book. Read all of them before all the movie boom and I'm pretty sure half of the people that watched the movie haven't read the books. which is pretty disapointing because the book is so rich in details and your imagination goes beyonf from the ones in the movie.
perusaphone
Favorite Author: Saki
Favorite Book: Have not found it yet
Currently Reading: As many as possible.
fav_author_id: 14031

Post by perusaphone »

Precisely so, one is afraid that the power of imagination is sadly bereft of usage these days. I admit that to pay the fee, sit down in aircraft seats with a couple of Kilo's of popcorn just simply to be entertained is not my idea of a good time. I will concede that it is somewhat easier to do than read a book, but, to actually have all imagination done for you and, then to have the entire subject matter shaped by actors in wigs and stuff, the events portrayed as in Hollywood, whilst the braying public rush Lemming like to the cinema for a couple of hours, just makes my stomach churn. How long does it take to read a decent book, to have the power of your own mind take control for once, to walk as you would walk through the variant situations within the tale is, to me, a magical lifestyle that so many are missing out on.... still, what do I know..???
Morphing into a misanthrope by existence in the human(?) race.....
Misaela
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misaela.html
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Misaela »

I have to admit, I read Tolkien's books after watching the movies, but it was years apart. My husband encouraged me to get more into him. I bought the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, The Hobbit, and the Silmarilion from Amazon. Looking for info on Tolkien, I read them on the order they were written and published: first The Hobbit. I really enjoyed it, and the easy language made it easier to read his more complex writing. When I read The Lord of the Rings, I had almost no recollections of the movies, so it actually was a fresh start. The descriptive nature of his style is magnificent, and I fell in love. Since it was a harder type of literature, it took me about 4-6 months to finish the trilogy, but I savored every page. After that, I tackled on The Silmarillion. It is, by far, my favorite book by him (so far!). The story of the creation, and the different gods... Wow! I think I actually cried in some parts.

Recently, I read most of A Tolkien Miscellany, which has some non-Middle Earth short stories. It was very well written, and I enjoyed it. I couldn't tackle on the poetry, though, because I can't just bring myself to enjoy reading poems, instead of listening to them.

But, all in all, I actually enjoyed Tolkien more because of his complex writing style.
Enigma
Favorite Author: S.E.Hinton
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading: Breathless by Scott Prussing
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enigma.html
Latest Review: "Broken, 180 Days in the Wilderness of an Urban Middle School" by Ann C. Averill

Post by Enigma »

I had a hard time with the L.O.T.R books. But
I love the Hobbit and his novella Roverdam.
I much prefer the films.
If I didn't write, I'd never sleep.

Up the Irons!!!
Latest Review: "Broken, 180 Days in the Wilderness of an Urban Middle School" by Ann C. Averill
Misaela

Post by Misaela »

Enigma wrote:I had a hard time with the L.O.T.R books. But
I much prefer the films.
Why do you prefer them? Me, I love the music and scenery, but still prefer the books.
Enigma
Favorite Author: S.E.Hinton
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading: Breathless by Scott Prussing
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enigma.html

Post by Enigma »

Misaela wrote:
Enigma wrote:I had a hard time with the L.O.T.R books. But
I much prefer the films.
Why do you prefer them? Me, I love the music and scenery, but still prefer the books.
Definitely the music, the visual. The sets were spectacular and bought the book to life in a way I could understand. I found the book very hard going.
If I didn't write, I'd never sleep.

Up the Irons!!!
Misaela

Post by Misaela »

I also loved the actors in the fellowship. They all tried so hard to be faithful to the characters, it made the movie amazing.
Megan Young
Favorite Author: VC Andrews
Favorite Book: My Sweet Audrina
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan-young.html

Post by Megan Young »

I read all the books for this series and loved them! The movies weren't nearly as good for me.
srivolco
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Kane and Abel
Currently Reading: A Tale of the Malazan Book of the fallen
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srivolco.html
Latest Review: "The Chosen of Ky'kias" by K.S. Lewis
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by srivolco »

Don't know anything about his biography as such but i love the man for his LOTR. The descriptions , the detailing and the sheer volume of the amazing world that he builds is overwhelming and unbelievable. LOTR will be an all time classic for me.
Cheers ,
Srivolco !!
Latest Review: "The Chosen of Ky'kias" by K.S. Lewis
Misaela

Post by Misaela »

I have read a little about his life. I found it as amazing as his stories! After all, he had to be inspired by something!
Jon-Ross
Currently Reading: The Lord of the Rings and World War Z
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jon-ross.html

Post by Jon-Ross »

I am reading 'The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring' at current. His way of writing is unique, yet difficult to understand.
william_ip_2000
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-william-ip-2000.html

Post by william_ip_2000 »

His books and writing appears to be targeted as a younger audience, I read his books when younger
LunaRowan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Letters from a Bipolar Mother (Chronicles of A Fractured Life)</a>
Currently Reading: Mightier Than the Sword (The Clifton Chronicles, #5)
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunarowan.html

Post by LunaRowan »

Tolkien is a founding father of modern deep fantasy novels. I believe later generations will also enjoy his epic saga and internalize the wordmanship and definition Tolkien put into what was to become his greatest legacy.

P.S. Screw the movies. Read the books.
lady_charlie
Favorite Author: Isabel Allende
Favorite Book: The House of the Spirits
Currently Reading: Very Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-charlie.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 16996

Post by lady_charlie »

I was given The Hobbit and The LOTR as a present in 1979.

I was through those and borrowed The Silmarillion from the local library in fairly short order.

When the movies came out, I said I would never watch them.

Someone said why? and someone else said, because the movies could never match what is in her head.

So true, but then I became a mom.

By then some of my 1979 copies were battered or missing, so we went and got what we needed and my daughter read them all. She started reading The Silmarillion which she also owns a copy of.

Then I got the LOTR movies on a Black Friday sale for 99 cents each and while we still sometimes fast forward some of the grossest bits in the battles, we have seen them all one after the other more times than we can count.

We saw The Hobbit the minute it came out and bought a copy to add to our movie marathons, and we are counting down to the next one.

I have to say that I really thought I would hate the movies but I don't.

Are they as good as my own imagination?

No, but they give us a vision of the books that we can share.
It is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. J.R.R. Tolkien

Return to “Discuss Authors”