Philippa Gregory

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Ealasaid
Favorite Author: Unfair To Ask That
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealasaid.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Re: Philippa Gregory

Post by Ealasaid »

I found her Wideacre series at a Goodwill store and they have been sitting on my ever-growing "to-read" bookshelf at home. I hear very good things about all of her books. I may have to pick up these books next......

-- 09 Apr 2015, 13:40 --
"I dwell in Possibility" - Emily Dickinson
skcasta+
Favorite Author: Victor Hugo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2926">All the Light We Cannot See</a>
Currently Reading: The Red Queen
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skcasta.html
fav_author_id: 3006

Post by skcasta+ »

I just discovered Philippa Gregory when I read the White Queen. I enjoyed her storytelling technique, but I wouldn't classify it as literature. I got confused at times about different characters, so I had to go back to where I thought they were first introduced. I would not do that if the writing was bad. I'm going to read the Red Queen next even though it will probably have the same characters. I like books with other character's points of view on the story. I get a lot of books from the library or used book stores. She seems to be a favorite with readers because you can tell the books are checked out so often.
Faerie104
Currently Reading: The Vampire's Bride
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faerie104.html

Post by Faerie104 »

I love the historical fiction of Philippa Gregory. I got hooked with The Other Boleyn Girl, and soon found myself gobbling up her books. I did try to read them in historical order, but soon found myself reading them out of order since they aren't released that way. There are still a few of her works that I haven't read, but they aren't part of the grouping devoted to the English monarchy of the 15th through 17th century, just the stand alone books. I also decided to check out her YA series, and they aren't bad, just always seem too short to me.
GWOTVet
Currently Reading: Uranium Drive-In
Bookshelf Size: 601
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gwotvet.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by GWOTVet »

FastReader wrote:I have been enjoying her books for years. I am fascinated by the Tudor period. Can anyone recommend another author who writes historical fiction about that topic?
Same author, but "The Other Boleyn Girl" is another great work of historical fiction - especially for people interested in Tudor history. You should definitely check it out if you haven't already.
LISA BEERE
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by LISA BEERE »

So excited to have found this group! I fell down the rabbit hole by being stuck at my in law's cottage during a rainstorm that lasted all weekend. I read "The Virgin's Lover" and was totally hooked. I also own now,
The Kingmaker's Daughter
The White Princess
The White Queen
The Lady of the Rivers
The Taming of the Queen
The Red Queen
The Other Queen

Many more on my holiday wish list!

-- 06 Jul 2017, 22:46 --

I think Philippa would make many fans happy if she provided an online link of how her characters are connected. I drew myself a chart using 4 books and that was a bit convoluted. It would make me read more though if I had a reference to help keep them organized in my head. Personally I like paper so a download option would be fantastic, Phillpa, if you're listening!
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

Surprisingly, I owe quite a few books she wrote (translated ones, at least). I sometimes have a feeling like everything she wrote actually happened, it doesn't stray too much from reality. I like historical fictions with a bit more ''fiction'' in them, but she's definitely a great author, prolific and imaginative.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

I find the tudor era quite fascinating as well
I love historical fiction and she is my favorite author when I want to read it
cpivie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by cpivie »

Fran wrote: 25 Sep 2012, 13:24
FastReader wrote:I have been enjoying her books for years. I am fascinated by the Tudor period. Can anyone recommend another author who writes historical fiction about that topic?
Have you read Hilary Mantel? ... Wolf Hall & Bring Up the Bodies are superb on Henry Viii & his relationship with Thomas Cromwell both are 5* reads IMO. You should definitely consider C J Sansom ... he has a brilliant series The Shardlake Series, set in the period of Henry Viii & follows the adventures of a hunchback lawyer Matthew Shardlake who works in the first books on commission for Thos Cromwell, subsequently for Archbishop Thomas Cranmer and in the last book for Queen Catherine Parr in Heartstone. Absolutely brilliant series, Sansom has a real ability to bring the period to life and his character moves seamlessly between the lives of the ordinary people, clerks & servants and the lives of courtiers and royalty. You can practically smell the streets in his books :oops: :lol:
I'm glad to find some more author referrals for Tudor-Era historical fiction - this is one of my favorite things to read, but I haven't been able to look for more books lately (READ: I haven't made the time to read more in favor of other life priorities). Now that I'm making more time to read, I would love to get through more Tudor books!
Jennm

Post by Jennm »

In my opinion ...You can read them All out of order. I usually find my next book from minor characters of the previous of hers I finish.
Just read the one about Mary Queen if Scots. Loved it... feminist will like the character Bess.
Jennm

Post by Jennm »

Wolf Hall is a great book about the Tudor period. Very different tone but it was good and PBS did a version with Mark Rylance and it was sooo good

Return to “Discuss Authors”