C.S Lewis

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Ealasaid
Favorite Author: Unfair To Ask That
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealasaid.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Re: C.S Lewis

Post by Ealasaid »

I too loved the Naria series as a kid. I have passed my love of them onto both of my daughters now.
"I dwell in Possibility" - Emily Dickinson
Rachaelamb1
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 »

Read all the Narnia books as a child but still read them over and over again as an adult. I find the books have even more meaning now than I noticed as a child. I also loved the Screwtape Letters.
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Screwtape Letters are terrific. And his "About Pain" is essential reading for any Christian. Then there's his "A Grief Observed" which is a moving and amazingly personal account of his relationship to Joy Davidman's life and death (his wife). This is superbly depicted in the film "Shadowlands" w. Anthony Hopkins as Lewis and Deborah Winger as Joy, which is maybe the most adult and finest love story ever filmed.

Anyone who thinks about being romantic and loving needs to see this film, Shadowlands. It is beautiful and moving and also intelligent. I cannot think of a film that depicts romantic love in a more realistic and superb way, very much lifelike. Brings me to tears each time I see the film, great acting too.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

moderntimes wrote:
Incidentally, who's seen the superb film about Lewis and his love for his wife, "Shadowlands", w. Anthony Hopkins just perfect as Lewis. I highly recommend this film for Lewis fans.
I have heard of the movie, Shadowlands, but never knew it was about C.S. Lewis. Thanks so much for the tip! I've just made a note to look for it.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

DATo wrote:
moderntimes wrote:
Incidentally, who's seen the superb film about Lewis and his love for his wife, "Shadowlands", w. Anthony Hopkins just perfect as Lewis. I highly recommend this film for Lewis fans.
I have heard of the movie, Shadowlands, but never knew it was about C.S. Lewis. Thanks so much for the tip! I've just made a note to look for it.
I agree & highly recommend it
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

There's a Brit TV movie of "Shadowlands" in the 80s, then it was made into a stage play, then the terrific film w. Anthony Hopkins and Deborah Winger, in 1993. That's the one we're talking about.

As I say, it's taken from his own memoirs about her illness and death from cancer, "A Grief Observed". The book itself -- short and intense, is a superb book but mostly for Christians. The film is more general and although it of course deals with CS Lewis' Christian faith and his wavering due to Joy's illness, it is also a superb movie about genuine romantic love between two adults, deeply moving. And brilliantly acted -- one of Hopkins' best roles.
SLKing

Post by SLKing »

I love 'The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe'. C.S.Lewis was a story teller just like Roald Dahl was.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

I never read the CS Lewis kid's books as I was pretty much out of reading juvenile fiction by the time I was in my early teens, when Lion and all were first published, early 50s. Being a pretty voracious reader I ate up all the existing juvenile stuff -- Tarzan, Jungle Book by Kipling, all the old classics like Treasure Island, the Tom Swift books, then moved to the old 40s pulp action novels, John Carter of Mars and such. By the time the CS Lewis kid's books were out and fairly well known I was reading Faulkner and Hemingway and such.

So I've never read them, as I simply don't enjoy juvenile fiction as an adult -- sorry but it bores me. I did read the Lewis SF trilogy which was essentially a thinly disguised religious series but I mostly enjoy Lewis for his nonfiction and of course Screwtape Letters.
Laurencbosch
Currently Reading: Brisingr
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurencbosch.html
Latest Review: "Fleeing Eden" by Trisha M. Wilson

Post by Laurencbosch »

C.S Lewis' works are incredible. The Chronicles of Narnia were written more for children, but I think they can span the ages. They are beautifully crafted books with so much depth and meaning behind them. Everyone should read these books. I have also read some of his work Mere Christianity. He was such a wise man and it shows in this profound work were he tells about what he has discovered to be the meaning of life.
Latest Review: "Fleeing Eden" by Trisha M. Wilson
SLKing

Post by SLKing »

I love to read C.S. Lewis books now as an adult of 44. I think he's been a big influence im my own writing over the years.
debbiebee
Favorite Book: The Secret History
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by debbiebee »

What does anyone else think of Philip Pullmann's denunciation of Lewis? I love the 'Dark Materials' books, but sometimes the total intolerance TOWARDS religion in them, mirrored in his harsh words about Lewis, is a form of intolerance too, rather like Richard Dawkins. BTW I am NOT overly religious myself in any conventional sense, so that's not the essence of my coments.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

We see this harsh anti-religious fervor that is indeed nasty and viperlike at times. And Christianity is usually the target these days.

I've not read what Pullmann said about Lewis but it's likely typical. Thing is this: CS Lewis is known as a Christian apologist. The term "apologist" is unfortunately misunderstood as "making an apology" as if wrong had been committed. But the accurate meaning of this is someone who is a staunch advocate of a certain policy or belief. Strong supporters of environmentalism can also be correctly termed "apologists" which is not a negative connotation.

Some scientists are agnostics or atheists and that's fine. A few of these are however snarky toward believers, which is simply rude. I don't want this thread to be sidetracked into a debate on religion but let's face it -- Lewis was a devout Christian and Anglican, and his beliefs are essential to a thread about him.

And "for the record" I'm both a trained scientist and a believer, and don't find the two exclusionary. My original formal education was in chemistry and biology and all my life I've studied science -- I've read extensively on cosmology, quantum physics, astronomy, etc. and find that if I really study concepts about the origin of the universe (big bang and so on) I'm even more persuaded that God exists. But this is just my personal belief and I don't intend to proselytize here. It's just that CS Lewis was a believer and he was true to that belief in his writings, both fiction and nonfiction. Critics may justly disagree with his tenets but insults and rude taunts are simply cat-calling.
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Levi »

I loved the Narnia series as a young child, I read at least the first three books. I also read the Screwtape Letters and Mere Christianity. Screwtape is a fun book and Mere Christianity is a passionate take on the basics of Christianity by a former atheist and highly intelligent man, which I thought made it that much more interesting regardless of what you believe. A great man
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
cgoss74
Favorite Author: Danielle Steel
Currently Reading: Follow You Home
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgoss74.html
Latest Review: "A Better Part of Heaven" by Mike Lee
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 3250

Post by cgoss74 »

I loved the Chronicles of Narnia, I don't know why they didn't do movies on all of the books. They skipped some of them. It took me a while to read through all of them, but I enjoyed them. I have been reading them to my six year old now.
Latest Review: "A Better Part of Heaven" by Mike Lee
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I love reading all of his stuff, both fiction and nonfiction. I am actually quite excited as I have recently bought the audio dramatizations of both The Screwtape Letters (with Andy Serkis playing one of the roles) and The Chronicles of Narnia. Soon I will be able to immerse myself in the radio play of each and let myself get taken into the drama that he so well created in his writings. God surely blessed C. S. with many great ideas to put on paper for entertaining, informing, and touching the soul of all of his readers. What a blessing!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8

Return to “Discuss Authors”